Options

Disabled Parking - Should they pay?

SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
Forum Member
I know that disabled parking provision has been bought up time and time again here and is a very provacative topic.

The large shopping centre in the neighbouring town has now introduced parking charges for disabled customers in all of it's four multi storey car parks. That's £1.20 for up to 2 hours, £2.00 for up to 4, etc.. Hardly a huge amount.

Good on them I say. I see no reason why they should not pay to park, like everybody else has to. I'd be happy for them to only have to pay a reduced amount, due to the fact that the charges are time based and it does generally take disabled people longer to get around than it would for somebody without a disability, however. Those with disabilities arguable cost the car park provider more than those without, the cost is which is then passed on via the parking charges. As well as using the usual facilities of the car park, they will make more use of the elevators, ramps have had to be installed to comply with the DDA, the shop mobility service is heavily subsidised, and they so far haven't been paying a penny!

Obviously there are many blue badge holders who aren't too happy with this, but fail to come up with any good reason why they shouldn't pay.

I regularly use all four of these multi storey car parks and feel that there are far too many disabled spots. The one I use the most has 84 disabled spots over 7 storeys, and yet I have never in my entire life seen any more than about 12 of these spots in use, yet find myself driving up and down for ages trying to find myself a spot!

Last Christmas Eve I had to take my girlfriend up to collect something. Four of these spots were being used, whilst the rest of the car park was absolutely heaving, I ended up parking in one of these 80 unused spots, but had to wait in the car in case a car park official came along. I understand that many disabled people may steer clear of shopping on Christmas Eve because the place would likely be busy, but as I said before, it is extremely rare to see more than 20% of these spots in use!

I have and will never be against disabled parking bays, but I feel that there are far too many and that having them provided free (at the expense of everybody else) makes no sense whatsoever.

Why should disabled parking be free?

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this - I can't see any reason why disabled people shouldn't be treated exactly the same as the able-bodied and that means taking the bad as well as the good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree that people using disabled bays should pay for parking too (at a reduced rate). However, the problem would be getting to the machine to get a ticket...defeating the point in parking where you don't have to walk far or mobilise with a wheelchair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ponglie wrote: »
    I tend to agree that people using disabled bays should pay for parking too (at a reduced rate). However, the problem would be getting to the machine to get a ticket...defeating the point in parking where you don't have to walk far or mobilise with a wheelchair.

Each car park is accessed from level 4 (the level on which the shops are) via large lobby areas (so no space issues) each with 4 ticket machines. Two of the car parks also have alternative accesses on level 4, both very quiet, with elevators and have a single ticket machine. It's "pay on foot" so you pay on your way back to the car.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum recently qualitied for a blue badge. Since then, I've been surprised at the number of places which offer free parking. What is quite good, it that you can park on double-yellow lines, in certain sitautions. The accessible, wide spaces are also good.

Last year, she paid £50 for an annual car parking season ticket for nearby attraction. This is now no longer required - free parking with the blue badge. I can't see why it should be free, though.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COSTCO seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that half the population are disabled, due to the ridiculous percentage of disabled parking places they offer.

Even if they are free. :mad:
  • Options
    Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, I have a blue badge that I rarely use unless I am having a bad day (thankfully not many these days and will probably relinquish my badge when it expires later this year).

However, I fail to see why I am able to cross the Severn Bridge for free because I have a Blue Badge (Normal cost £5.40!) It's not like anyone walks over it!
    I have used it on those occasions that I have gone over the bridge though... waste not, want not :)
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumeably because disabled people are likely to be reliant on the car as a means of transport. It's a concession which I'm sure they would willing trade for being fit and healthy.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Parking charges should be abolished altogether for everybody. We already pay far too much for petrol, council tax, car tax, insurance and repairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parking charges should be abolished altogether for everybody. We already pay far too much for petrol, council tax, car tax, insurance and repairs.

None of which goes to the private company who own these car parks. I don't imagine they'd be too happy
  • Options
    spikydogspikydog Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    Presumeably because disabled people are likely to be reliant on the car as a means of transport. It's a concession which I'm sure they would willing trade for being fit and healthy.

I don't follow your reasoning here. I am reliant on public transport to get to work, but that doesn't mean I should travel for free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a small minded, mean spirted bunch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mysticalan wrote: »

Who are you referring to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What, for believing that disabled people should be given the same considerations as everyone else?
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Would you really begrudge a disabled person a bit of free parking? Next thing you'll want to charge them extra for the better toilets.
  • Options
    Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikydog wrote: »
    I don't follow your reasoning here. I am reliant on public transport to get to work, but that doesn't mean I should travel for free.

It's not the same. Some disabled people can't use public transport.

I don't mind them getting it a bit cheaper. I'm just thankful I'm not disabled and don't need allowances to be made for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't the vast majority of disabled people on low incomes and have high expenses due to their disability.

Why should they pay? Simply because it's another thing we can moan about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    It's not the same. Some disabled people can't use public transport.

I don't mind them getting it a bit cheaper. I'm just thankful I'm not disabled and don't need allowances to be made for me.

Many disabled people don't want allowances made for them either - they wanted to be treated like any other person and any allowances that are made are purely there so they can be just like any other person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kablamo wrote: »
    Aren't the vast majority of disabled people on low incomes and have high expenses due to their disability.

Why should they pay? Simply because it's another thing we can moan about?

I don't know - are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    What, for believing that disabled people should be given the same considerations as everyone else?

No, for believing some people (able bodied or able in mind) are more equal than others.
  • Options
    Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many disabled people don't want allowances made for them either - they wanted to be treated like any other person and any allowances that are made are purely there so they can be just like any other person.

They don't have to accept the allowances! Just because some don't want them, doesn't mean all disabled people should lose out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure many people want to be millionaires but there are great limitations and hurdles in the way - the same way, as much as somebody who is disabled wishes to be treated on equal grounds they do realise that this means, ramps, help in an able bodied society, using lifts rather than stairs - numerous things because the limitation and hurdles is insurmountable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    They don't have to accept the allowances! Just because some don't want them, doesn't mean all disabled people should lose out.

No, and thats the problem - there are so many disabilities out there but they all tend to be treated the same by society
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My ex was born with Spina Bifida. Her whole life has been a struggle against the odds and her car is her lifeline. Do I think society should make concessions for people like her ? You bet.

Do you imagine that all the disabled are well-off ? They're amongst the poorest in society.

You could just thank God you have your health and stop bellyaching.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    COSTCO seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that half the population are disabled, due to the ridiculous percentage of disabled parking places they offer.

Even if they are free. :mad:

I agree with you, but there never seems to be anyone checking the parking lots!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex was born with Spina Bifida. Her whole life has been a struggle against the odds and her car is her lifeline. Do I think society should make concessions for people like her ? You bet.

Do you imagine that all the disabled are well-off ? They're amongst the poorest in society.

You could just thank God you have your health and stop bellyaching.

Actually I have spina bifida too.