Clothing - I'm getting old

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
Forum Member
Hi

I think i'm getting old and unfashionable. I'm 30, i used to shop in topshop, burtons and next, yet these days i can rarely find anything in these places i like.

I hate the fashion clothing fits, skinny jumpers, jumpers which are thinner than what i'd expect from a summer t-shirt, jeans that begin half way down your arse, have flared legs or have so many silly bits on them that they are impossible to iron, work trousers with small pockets and which are very tight around the crotch area and shoes with soles the thickness of a sheet of paper and no grips.

Where should i be shopping though, i can't seem to find any decent, comfortable suitable clothing these days.

:)

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matalan.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    you're getting old..welcome to my world :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BHS? I've been known to buy the odd thing from there from time to time...
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain, especially with the jeans. I cant wear jeans down my arse either.

I do like some fashion clothing stores, but they are getting less and less.

To be honest, im in the middle at the moment. Im too old for Top Shop at the grand old age of 36, but im too young for Principles.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Marks and Sparks do 'proper' clothes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marks and Sparks do 'proper' clothes.

Personally I have never rated M&S. I like their knickers and a few accessories .... but i never really liked their clothing.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tried gap?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Lol........... i've tried BHS and M&S, they are both ok for what i'd call normal trousers i.e ones that don't have small pockets and are tight around the crotch / arse like what seems to be in fashion these days (however, they do both have their designer lines which ARE like this) and work shirts, but i don't like them for casual clothing.

As for shoes. The best workshoes i've found were Rockport ones from Amazon. They make me laugh when i look at the shoe offerings in Next etc these days ........... seriously, what is with the practically no sole and zero grips? ........ how do people manage to not slip in these? ....... and they must wear through them simply walking from the car to the front door !!!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    John Lewis
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit older than you, and I have no problems really. Yes I don't get some of the clothing in Topshop but then I never have, even as a teenager. I do love their jeans though, the best fit around. The majority of my clothes come from Skateboard/Snowboard shops hoodies, Ts, skate shoes etc. and I am lucky that I can wear this sort of stuff to work. If I need something smart casual then I find Debenhams and M & S are quite good. Debenhams has the designer range, loving the Henry Holland stuff at the moment. Got a great casual evening style jacket in M&S too. How about Next and H&M they are still young without being too teenagery like Topshop.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could do worse than local charity shops. You'll often find decent unworn shirts etc (check the collars and cuffs for signs of wear) for a few quid that are better made than the 'mass market' stuff on sale and you're helping good causes too.
  • cymrugirlcymrugirl Posts: 3,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uniqlo is pretty age-resistant. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything in there.
    Carhartt do nice casual pants
    A.P.C if you wanted to go bit more expensive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cymrugirl wrote: »
    Uniqlo is pretty age-resistant. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything in there.
    Carhartt do nice casual pants
    A.P.C if you wanted to go bit more expensive

I havent heard of any of them. Now i KNOW i'm getting old :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    You could do worse than local charity shops. You'll often find decent unworn shirts etc (check the collars and cuffs for signs of wear) for a few quid that are better made than the 'mass market' stuff on sale and you're helping good causes too.

You're right.

A couple of months ago I saw a couple of beautiful Schott jackets in my local charity shop, for a tenner each. They were in excellent condition and probably would have cost around £150-£200 each new.

They also regularly have brand new unworn shirts from T.M.Lewin shirtmakers, several of the same colour etc.
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Zara, COS or All Saints.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2004/5 was the last really good fashion season, everything since then has been horribly unappealing.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zara all the way, their menswear is classic European style which always looks stylish whatever your age. Very affordable but not 'cheap'.

I buy nearly all my kids clothes in there too and I am forever being stopped and told how smart they always look.

Agree with all saints for 'going out' shirts and also Massimo Dutti does really classic but not old fashioned stuff if you have a nearby branch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    You are 30 now dude.

Try George at Asda.
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Debenhams have a lot of concession shops, some designers etc quite modern but not over the top trendy?
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree zara does a good range for kids as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Next? urban outfitters? gap? Zara?
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For shoes, there's Clarks or Marks and Spencer. If you don't mind paying a bit more there is also Ecco or Gabor.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Fat Face are good for more casual clothes and jeans they do some really nice thick jumpers for men and they do normal jeans. Smart clothes I have no idea I can't find any anywhere the skirts are either too short or too long and make me look like a 50 year old school teacher or mutton dressed up as lamb (i'm 33 so neither are a good look).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Burtons
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am 50 and love the latest stuff.