Options

70s, 80s and 90s Children's Books

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goosebumps and Horrible Histories, for me :):)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't suppose anyone recalls a Bill and Ben story book in which they paint the weathercock of a church black, and then it ends up covered by feathers and looking like a real bird? It's one I had when I was little.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I loved Horrible Histories :)
    Also Roald Dahl
    When I was little - Mr. Men :o
    Enid Blyton
    Secret Seven/Famous Five
    Mr Pink Whistle :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 90's and to a lesser extent just into the 2000's my girls loved Katie Morag books by Mairi Hedderwick(I think -check the spelling) and I loved them too. They were about a wee girl living on an island and about her life and her family. Her mum ran the post office and she had a posh granny from the mainland and her other granny lived on the island and drove a tractor and stuff like that.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just done some googling: found out this one was Rebecca's World, by Terry Nation.

One of my favourites as a child too. Would love to get it again but it's out of print now. I'm sure a relative has my copy somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    One of my favourites as a child too. Would love to get it again but it's out of print now. I'm sure a relative has my copy somewhere.

There's a few knocking about on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%27Rebecca%27s+World%27++%27Terry+Nation%27
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading to my children Stig of the Dump, was that the 70s? Anyway they loved it. Also many old faves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I remember reading to my children Stig of the Dump, was that the 70s? Anyway they loved it. Also many old faves.

Yes it was. Interestingly, given I once read that, and had it read to me, too, I recall very little about that, beyond the fact a modern boy finds a cave boy who has made some sort of makeshift abode on some wasteland somewhere. I can't recall how it ended. Did Stig turn out to have come through some time warp, through which he returned, or did he die, just disappear, or get put into captivity as some sort of zoological specimen?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    the Beezus and Ramona books by Beverley Cleary

and there was a trilogy called The Dark is Rising or similar

Harriet the Spy

the books about Dorrie the Little Witch
  • Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I used to love The Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton, I read all my mums old copies from when she was a kid. Also most Roald Dahl books. Books about a dog named Monty? Also books about Patrick, Patrick doesn't like peas, Patrick buys a new coat etc and also I remember having a huge children's anthology with a blue cover and one story I always remember is about an antelope called Arthur, never been able to find the book anywhere. :(
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazzieblue wrote: »
    Joan Lingards ' Across the Barricades' series. I also 're-read them a few years ago.
    I also loved Uderzos' "little Nicholas " stories.

I read these when I was an adult, and absolutely loved them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazzieblue wrote: »
    I also loved Uderzos' "little Nicholas " stories.

Uderzo was the illustrator for Asterix, wasn't he?
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane's Adventures on the Island of Peeg

My Auntie bought this for me and I didn't read it for ages, as I thought it looked boring. I started reading it (out of duty!) and was totally blown away by it - it was a fantastic book!

The Silver Crown - bought for me by the same Auntie! This book was terrifying and thrilling and compulsive all in equal measure. I can't remember the story, but I do remember the feelings I had as I read it - brilliant!