Options

Ferguson retires offically confirmed by man utd

Comments

• Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's refreshing to see a big story about a man in his 70s and it not be about his arrest.

Very good.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's a shoe-in for Moyes.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The premier league just got infinitely more competitive. No manager is going to dominate the league like Ferguson did.

I foresee a Man City/Chelsea uprising.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame to see him go, but all things must come to an end. Hope he enjoys his retirement. Although, it will seem very odd to see someone else in his place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's refreshing to see a big story about a man in his 70s and it not be about his arrest.

*applauds* :D
  • Options
    Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Despite Robin van Persie netting 25 times for United this season, he's still only just in the top 5 attackers in Manchester, behind Ken Barlow, Kevin Webster, Stuart Hall & Fred Talbot.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    No way. Possibly the last remaining constant since I got into football (outside Dario Gradi always being at Crewe in some way)
    this.

I first watched football in 1986, so it's going to feel weird watching Man U without Fergie in the dugout.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering he went a full decade after changing his plans to originally retire, you'd assume he's thought this through fully. It'll be odd to see anyone else in charge there, Ferguson was new in the job when I first got into football. That said, if he fancies following in his predecessor's footsteps and taking the reigns at Cov I wouldn't mind too much.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when he took over I worked with a girl from Aberdeen. Her husband was raging!
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    What a legend. Must be a sad day for Man Utd fans. I really can't see them being happy with Moyes as the replacement.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He ended on a high and as a Liverpool fan I hated him sometimes but come on one of the best managers ever if not the best.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An absolute legend of the game. He'll be sorely missed, the greatest manager ever. We salute you, Fergie.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Mourinho or Moyes are my picks for new manager.
    The United job is too big for Moyes, they'll want somebody who's won trophies and managed in the Champions League, though I won't be dissapointed if he gets it, as it will mean a couple of trophyless seasons for United and Everton will drop to their more familiar position of hovering just above the relegation zone. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has been a great manager and I wish him well.

Lol I predicted he would leave at the end of the season and my friends thought I was nuts.

I agree with the poster who said that giving him a job in the boardroom is a mistake. It's great for sentimental reasons but its not good for the new manager having the SAF lurking in the background. Especially if he looses a game or more and fans may start demanding him back.

Next few seasons is going to be interesting. Will the United fans give the new manager a chance if they don't win a trophy next year. New manager could come in and win everything but if he doesn't it is going to be fascinating. Football has changed a lot since SAF walked in to the job and United rarely go with out a season not winning a trophy. Can they afford to give the new manager time to implement his own ideas.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    The United job is too big for Moyes, they'll want somebody who's won trophies and managed in the Champions League, though I won't be dissapointed if he gets it, as it will mean a couple of trophyless seasons for United and Everton will drop to their more familiar position of hovering just above the relegation zone. :D

Sure he's won no trophies but what about what I might be able to do with the squad he inherits? The the resources at the club?
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U think the referees are breathing a sigh of relief?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Sure he's won no trophies but what about what I might be able to do with the squad he inherits? The the resources at the club?

Lescott to replace Ferdinand?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A press conference on his replacement within 48 hours.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even as a neutral, I'm certainly big enough to acknowledge his achievements in the game and for United. He'll certainly be missed.

I am always eternally mystified why David Moyes' name is continually mentioned though...

It's an interesting coincidence that this has happened now with Mourinho certain to quit Madrid at the end if the season as well
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    What a manager.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone imagine him being a pundit, like so many ex-managers out there?

I cannot for whatever reason see it.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you'd never understand him lol would need subtitles across the game
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

I honestly think Jose is a done deal, and has been for some time
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you'd never understand him lol would need subtitles across the game

Like with, y'know, eeeeeem, Carragher. Eeeeem.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that confirmed? They've had it lined up a while if that's the case.