New York

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    We went to New York in October 2009, for my 40th birthday. Wow, what can I say, an amazing place, but a bit mad as well! We did not use taxis, as have heard that they tend to know if you are a tourist and will try to rip you off. When we landed at Newark we took a shuttle coach which runs regularly from the airport, stopping off near to all the popular hotels. They give you a leaflet, which tells you the best stop to get off, closest to you hotel.

Food is fantastic, but as others have said, don't expect to pay what the menu says, as you have to add at least another 10-15% as a tip. They don't tell you this, you are expected to know! It is one of the really annoying things about the place, but it is part of the culture, so you have to go with it.

We got a ticket on one of the open top bus tour (Grayline) and were able to hop on and hop off all over the place for 2 days. Thrown in was a straight to the top, miss the queue ticket to the Empire State Building. Keep an eye out for the guys selling the tickets, they wear red jackets. The bus tour is great with a guide pointing out places of interest. Great way to get about, they are running all the time, every 15 mins there will be one to catch. The Guides love to tell you about the tips that you will be leaving as you exit the bus. (boy do they go on about it:mad:) We tended to leave one if we had been on for a few stops, but not if we did a short one stop hop.

The Highlight for us was when we were stopped in the street at times square and asked if we wanted to see the David Letterman show. I thought it was going to be a wind up, but no, all we had to do was answer a simple question, and then go and join the queue outside the theatre! Fantastic and free as well! We saw the recording at 4.00pm in the afternoon, and later that night we watched it go out in our hotel room, and saw ourselves in the audience!

Sorry for the long post, but I could go on for hours! Just be aware of the tipping culture, and not to wave everyone away who hassles you in Times Square. Hope you have a great time!:)
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    ...The shops weren't all that great either. Macey's looks like it's stuck in a past time. Bloomingdales doesn't compare to some of London's more exclusive stores. (I know there are good outlet stores but we didn't have time and weren't really interested in shopping, we just wanted to visit the famous stores). In the US, tax is added onto everything you buy at the till (unlike in the UK which incorporates VAT into the ticket price) so you can get some unpleasant surprises when paying for purchases.

But New York was an experience!

Macy's and Bloomingdales are quote/unquote famous in a sense, but they are not at all considered high end retail. Of course Bloomingdales doesn't compare to London's more exclusive stores, as it doesn't compare to New York's more exclusive stores such as Barney's New York, Lord & Taylor, Bergdorf Goodmans, Henri Bendels to name a few. Even Saks Fifth Avenue is more mainstream. They just happen to be old names and have 'branches' throughout the US. Macys is an 'all you could want' type of store, and that NYC branch at Herald Square was the worlds largest until 2009 (beaten out by a south korean store). Ayway, sort of a 'missing facts' type of response as New York being one of 'the' world class citjies, ensures you can find practically whatever you want in it's confines. Shopping in it's many stores and boutiques included. But, according to your post, you 'weren't interested in shopping, just visiting the famous stores. :)

Taxes for purchases are by State, not a federal level. There is state tax in New York, but some states have no state tax and no state tax added.

I think part of traveling is asking questions an finding out info on what is done and what is not. Tips included.

I once was in Fiji and gave the driver TWICE the amount of tip which was expected for a taxi. I learned my mistake on that to not veer off what is expected becasuse the amount was nothing to me, but everything to him, and it made potential travelers following me to look poorly in comparison.

There is a Brit poster on DS living in Seattle who insists he/she was given a 'Brit' menu in San Francisco complete with added 'tax' . I sort of doubt that occurrence, but I was not there lol.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    Taxes for purchases are by State, not a federal level. There is state tax in New York, but some states have no state tax and no state tax added.
    There's a list of sales tax rates in each US state here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#By_jurisdiction

It can get complicated though because some towns and cities impose an additional tax beyond the state sales tax, but perhaps only on certain things such as lodging.

Prices in US shops and restaurants nearly always exclude sales tax, and so do listed rates for car rental. The same applies to rates for acccomodation at motels and hotels as printed in their printed directories, on their web sites, etc.

Prices for petrol (gas) posted at gas stations include sales tax. Toll rates quoted on road signs for turnpikes, toll bridges, etc are what you actually pay (possibly because they aren't taxed), and the same is true for entrance fees for national parks and state parks possibly for the same reason.

BTW if you're not addicted to expensive designer brands then Walmart can be a great source of bargains (it's a department store that sells a huge range of things, not just a supermarket), although probably not easily accessed in a big city without a car. Watch your UK customs allowance, only £390 from non-EU countries.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

It can get complicated though because some towns and cities impose an additional tax beyond the state sales tax, but perhaps only on certain things such as lodging.

I guess if one is used to it, it just seems normal. Reflecting here, but I have no idea how I react on a daily basis with sales tax. I guess I am so accustomed to it it so I always add up in my head there's always going to be a 'little extra'. Funny, how we do that. I could not tell you off the top of my head what my state's tax is, it seems 'lower' than when I lived in California years ago. I guess I am always pleasantly surprised considering prices in this state are 'higher' than in California.

Tonight I bought a bag of already popped cheese popcorn which was $1.89. My receipt says only "tax on 1.89. $0.09. Total $1.98

I wonder why they do not simply add it. Is there a good reason for not listing it at full taxed price? I do not know. I'm rambling here. Time for bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone's interested, there are a quite few videos on YouTube of driving in and around NYC. For example this one starts on the 59th St/Queensboro Bridge westbound to Manhattan, then south on FDR Drive on the east side to the southern tip, then through the Battery Park Underpass Tunnel, north up the west side, through the Holland Tunnel westbound to New Jersey and finishing in a shopping mall. I found it an interesting challenge to track the route using Google Maps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rbl_1JjRSU

BTW I'm not advocating driving in NYC, it seems to be a place where public transport would be a far better option.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asking or even suggesting that tips be given for something is not a normal thing in America. In fact, that is extremely abnormal.

Every where in Ths States I have wined and dined a tip has been expected. Usually asking 'do you want change with that' when you pay the bill is a hint. In New York the expectation these days is that you will tip the equivilant of the sales tax.

Every state's sale tax is different and I don't know why it is not Included in the price until you come to pay.
  • CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    Every where in Ths States I have wined and dined a tip has been expected. Usually asking 'do you want change with that' when you pay the bill is a hint.

The expectation of a tip is not the same as asking for one. Big difference. Asking for a tip in America is considered in very bad taste and usually results in the opposite.
    In New York the expectation these days is that you will tip the equivilant of the sales tax.

No, it is typically double the sales tax or roughly 15% throughout the country. No one is obliged to tip either, otherwise it goes against the whole point of the tipping system.
    Every state's sale tax is different and I don't know why it is not Included in the price until you come to pay.

Maybe not convenient for international visitors but it obviously works for Americans. Besides, it's not rocket science to look up such rates before you visit. ;)
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I'd just go to the paying place and say "OK! So what is the total plus a 15% tip?" (but then do you have to tip the person for working it out for you? :eek: )

I don't mind tipping and certainly if the serving person isn't paid in anything but tips, it's just that having to work it all out everywhere you go sounds like a right pain in the ass!

Also, as it's a percentage of the bill, the serving person does exactly the same amount of work if you buy a cheap thing or an expensive thing, but gets a bigger tip for delivering an expensive thing. - Silly!

Also is everyone tipped or just servers or services like food servers in eating places, cabs and people like that who provide a service? Would you tip in general shops where you just nipped in picked up what you wanted and took it to the checkout? What about a vending outlet (mobile of a small kiosk) where you just buy a can of coke?

You see how bloody confusing it is for us Brits!
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »

Prices in US shops and restaurants nearly always exclude sales tax, and so do listed rates for car rental. The same applies to rates for acccomodation at motels and hotels as printed in their printed directories, on their web sites, etc.

Prices for petrol (gas) posted at gas stations include sales tax. Toll rates quoted on road signs for turnpikes, toll bridges, etc are what you actually pay (possibly because they aren't taxed), and the same is true for entrance fees for national parks and state parks possibly for the same reason.

BTW if you're not addicted to expensive designer brands then Walmart can be a great source of bargains (it's a department store that sells a huge range of things, not just a supermarket), although probably not easily accessed in a big city without a car. Watch your UK customs allowance, only £390 from non-EU countries.

The person you are talking to is American so it's a fair bet they know all about they way taxes work in their country. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The expectation of a tip is not the same as asking for one. Big difference. Asking for a tip in America is considered in very bad taste and usually results in the opposite.

No, it is typically double the sales tax or roughly 15% throughout the country. No one is obliged to tip either, otherwise it goes against the whole point of the tipping system.

Maybe not convenient for international visitors but it obviously works for Americans. Besides, it's not rocket science to look up such rates before you visit. ;)

It may considered bad taste but I have been asked for tips on more than one occasion in the States, particularly in New York.

And Aerick asked why they don't include the tax in the asking price and I said I didn't know. Perhaps you could tell us why;)
    Forum Member
    I'd just go to the paying place and say "OK! So what is the total plus a 15% tip?" (but then do you have to tip the person for working it out for you? :eek: )

I don't mind tipping and certainly if the serving person isn't paid in anything but tips, it's just that having to work it all out everywhere you go sounds like a right pain in the ass!

Also, as it's a percentage of the bill, the serving person does exactly the same amount of work if you buy a cheap thing or an expensive thing, but gets a bigger tip for delivering an expensive thing. - Silly!

As I said above, the typical tip for good service in America is around 15%. In California or New York diners will typically just double, or so, the tax on the check.

That said, tip less or more, if you like, depending on the quality of the service. You are not obligated to tip if you feel the service was unacceptable. Tipping is not law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person you are talking to is American
    I'm talking to everyone who might read this thread but primarily the OP who appears to live in Britain. The quote was to give the comment a context.
    Forum Member
    It may considered bad taste but I have been asked for tips on more than one occasion in the States, particularly in New York.

Someone likely trying to take advantage of a foreign tourist, likely a foreigner themselves. I suspect your accent would have been the tip off.

By the way, the country is not called "the States." No such a country in the world. ;)
    And Aerick asked why they don't include the tax in the asking price and I said I didn't know. Perhaps you could tell us why;)

Asking price of what? Taxes are not included in most pricing throughout America. As an American Aerick would know that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone likely trying to take advantage of a foreign tourist, likely a foreigner themselves. I suspect your accent would have been the tip off.

By the way, the country is not called "the States." No such a country in the world. ;)

Asking price of what? Taxes are not included in most pricing throughout America. As an American Aerick would know that.

No they were not foreign.

The question still remains why is the tax not included in the pricing we know that it is not included but not why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we know that it is not included but not why.
    Possibly so that there can be one price for a product quoted nationally and if relevant printed on its packaging. If sales tax was included then there would have to be numerous different prices due to the different rates in different states.

Just a theory.
    Forum Member
    No they were not foreign.

Then you were obviously taken advantage of as a foreigner by some not so nice people. Amongst Americans it just doesn't happen. As I said, it is in extremely bad taste to do so.
    The question still remains why is the tax not included in the pricing we know that it is not included but not why.

Tradition? Who cares? Obviously it works fine enough in America that they have not changed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you were obviously taken advantage of as a foreigner by some not so nice people. Amongst Americans it just doesn't happen. As I said, it is in extremely bad taste to do so.

Tradition? Who cares? Obviously it works fine enough in America that they have not changed it.

Well you said it and the OP did ask about what New York was like so now they know.
    Forum Member
    Well you said it and the OP did ask about what New York was like so now they know.

Statistically speaking your limited experience can not determine the tipping experience the OP is likely to experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistically speaking your limited experience can not determine the tipping experience the OP is likely to experience.

How many times have I been to America and how many states have I visited statistically?
    Forum Member
    How many times have I been to America and how many states have I visited statistically?

It doesn't sound like very many, of either, but I was specifically referring to your tipping experience that you mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't sound like very many, of either but I was specifically referring to your tipping experience.

Which just goes to prove limited knowledge is of more value than no knowledge at all.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you make the strange assumption that just because people live in particular city they do not visit the "attractions" in their own city? Will there always be people in cities that live a hermits life? Of course, but talking to New York City hermits is not what I am advising.

I am advising those that are considering and planning on traveling there to speak to actual New Yorkers. For God's sake the language is the same (well, mostly :))so there's no reason not to. With a bit of common sense and talking to as many of them as you can you will most certainly get much better information, and with an authentic cultural perspective that you could never get from talking to people that are not from there.

Your advice is for the timid. It caters to those that are shy and would rather travel in a bubble of safety and familiarity and not learn about the people and the culture of the places they are visiting in the best possible ways, through communication.

I'm not making any strange assumption. Plenty of people in big cities don't visit the main tourist sites - I live in London and there are plenty of tourist places I haven't been!

I have never said not to talk to New Yorkers, you were the one who said don't bother getting advice from tourists, which I think is utterly ridiculous. There's just as much merit in getting advice from people who have been travellers in a place as there is getting advice from the locals. Why on earth would you not do both?
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Don't use taxis unless you wanna spend a fortune. We bought 7 day passes for the subway and used that to get about. It's cheaper and no different to London Underground.

If you want to go to the 9/11 memorial you still have to pre-book that. It doesn't cost anything to go in though.

Go up to a Times Square but be prepared to be hassled by people trying to get you to go to a show.

It's mental, but in a brilliant way. I'd love to go back.

There is no comparison between the London and New York undergrounds. The trains in New York were like prison trains. really rather awful. New Yorkers must think the London underground is luxurious compared to theirs. And it is much easier to negotiate a London tube map than a New York one - and there are no maps overhead on the trains which makes travelling around even more of a minefield. Fair enough, you can generally ask people but why should you have to? I would have thought that New York would try to cater more for tourists and visitors - like London does. I am not just bigging up London, I'm not even English myself (Irish) and 3 others of my party were not English either (from Europe and Australia) and they felt exactly the same about how superior London is with its more modern upgraded facilities.

As for tipping, discussed on the thread, in most of the restaurants we ate in during our stay a couple of weeks ago, we had the option of ticking 15%, 18% or 20%. In the UK 15% would be a more than generous tip but we felt a bit mean ticking that option. Tipping is definitely expected for almost every service carried out. We even had to tip the barman for our drinks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try to get a picture with a few police officers, some say no, some say yes, but its a good picture to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    The expectation of a tip is not the same as asking for one. Big difference. Asking for a tip in America is considered in very bad taste and usually results in the opposite

Whoah!! looks like I opened a right can of worms with my post, but with all due respect, that was our experience.

When we arrived at our hotel, we were given a room with 2 separate beds, not a double as we had booked. We complained about this at reception,and they offered to push the bed together for the first night, and then would move us to a room with a matrimonial bed for the rest of our stay. As a gesture of good will they gave us a voucher for a free breakfast the next morning. Great we thought, no problem, thanks for sorting that out.

The following morning we had a free breakfast as we had been offered, and then at the end they gave us a bill for just the tip!!!! I am sorry, but that seemed just wrong to us brits!
    A free breakfast is a free breakfast! They were the ones who stuffed up by not giving us the room we asked for, and asking for a tip just did not seem right!

Also, on the bus tours it was made quite plain by the guides that a tip was expected from passengers. They rammed it down your throat all the way round! "On your left is the Chrysler building, by the way have I told you about the tips that you should be leaving when you exit the bus for me and the driver!"

Sorry for the rant, but that is the way we found it. It was an amazing place, but as one tourist to another it is worth pointing out things that you may come across.