Options

Madonna at the 2009 VMA's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
Forum Member
How gorgeous did Madonna look at the VMA's!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpm8hidIPc

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I'm not her biggest fan but I have to say...her speech was so moving.:(
  • Options
    Dolby KidDolby Kid Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowhere near as gorgeous or as relevant as Pink, her act was better than anything Madonna's ever done!!
  • Options
    NativeMoonNativeMoon Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Kudos to whoever it was who really wrote that speech.

Although I do have to wonder if Madonna is ever able to make a Tribute that doesn't turn into self-serving platitudes about her... First Princess Diana now Michael Jackson. The look on Pink's face spoke volumes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NativeMoon wrote: »

Although I do have to wonder if Madonna is ever able to make a Tribute that doesn't turn into self-serving platitudes about her... First Princess Diana now Michael Jackson. The look on Pink's face spoke volumes.

Really?:eek:
    Must look out for that tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Really?:eek:
    Must look out for that tonight.

O yeah - Elton John really went for her throat for it at the time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Madonna said in her backstage MTV interview that she spent the whole week writing that speech and it was actually longer, so she kept going back and cutting bits out. I know Madonna get's a lot of hate on this forum but she does deserve some credit from time to time.

It was a lovely, heartfelt speech and she hit the nail on the head when she said many (including her) in the entertainment industry abandoned Michael.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member

Come on, she clearly can manage to write a speech for herself. It was simple, heartfelt, but most of all honest. Who else since MJ's death has been honest about the fact they were happy to forget about him and write him off when they should have been supporting him. No...everyone else has been kissing his ass.

Well done M!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes - so heartfelt that she made a lot of it about her. Self-serving as ever. Well done Miss M...
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good speech. It's nice to see someone say what a lot of people probably think.

Her point at the end made me think, they should open up MJ dance schools across the world. Have kids learning his moves and dances as part of a fitness and dance class system. Throw away any trademarks and just open up his entire dance catalogue so people can teach kids his music. Sadly I doubt anything like that will happen.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - so heartfelt that she made a lot of it about her. Self-serving as ever. Well done Miss M...

She is the only celebrity in the world with a status on the same level as MJ. No other person alive has achieved that much in popular culture so of course she'll draw parallels. This is yet another case where she can do no right - personally, I think she was more open than normal. It was a bit scripted but a speech like that has to be. Seriously, this isnt the Oscars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    "I had abadoned him. We had abandoned him."

I'm not as fanatical about Michael Jackson as some but these are such true words. Has anyone else acknowledged this truth? Madonna is the first person to say anything like this since MJ died from what I can recall.

A very powerful speech that came across as genuine and not like a lot of the arse-licking that's gone on since MJ's death. Kudos to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ohirome wrote: »
    She is the only celebrity in the world with a status on the same level as MJ. No other person alive has achieved that much in popular culture so of course she'll draw parallels. This is yet another case where she can do no right - personally, I think she was more open than normal. It was a bit scripted but a speech like that has to be. Seriously, this isnt the Oscars.

I don't think she even comes close. Just my opinion tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Totally agree.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could argue that she kept the spotlight on her throughout her entire career, whereas MJ sorta disappeared midway through the 90s and went on a downward spiral, but nobody can deny his influence and his impact on popular culture. I think the Jesus stature he acheived with his fanbase sorta gave him an air of invincibility that died off after the HIStory era. They are the only true pop icons of our era - Britney etc have the fame but theres no legacy there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an excellent speech, one of the best since MJ passed. I was impressed she had the guts to say she and others had abandoned him, respect to her for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a really moving speech. Really powerful too, I thought it was great how everyone looked so interested. And she's sort of the only person who could really comment on it imo.
    She didn't make it about herself at all, imo, she was just highlighting how they were similar, apart from the fact that she had a chance at a childhood and he didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good speech, but I don't think she looks particularly gorgeous...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franster wrote: »
    I thought it was a really moving speech. Really powerful too, I thought it was great how everyone looked so interested. And she's sort of the only person who could really comment on it imo.
    She didn't make it about herself at all, imo, she was just highlighting how they were similar, apart from the fact that she had a chance at a childhood and he didn't.

I agree!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very emotional speech, certainly packed a punch at the truth about Michael and the fact that the world turned their back on this superstar that no one will ever see again.

She looked absolutely stunning, more beautiful than ever!

Long life the King and Queen of Pop:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All I heard was a snippet on radio one this morning where she said something like this... 'at 6 years of age Michael became famous, when I was 6 I lost my mother, I think Micheal drew the short straw!!!

Quite unbelievable for two reasons: If you're going to talk about someone else, then actually make it about them not you! And frankly celebs who wine and winge about how hard it is to be a celebrity get on my nerves. They have a choice, they know fame and wealth come with a personal price & Madonna especially has strived to stay in the business so what is her problem?
    Or am I missing the point as I only heard a snippet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    She wasn't making it about her. She was drawing comparisons and pointing out why Michael ended up like he did.

But it's Madonna, so I'm aware she simply cannot win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think she comes close either but she's still the most successful female in pop and he was the most successful male. I think it was OK for her to draw certain parallels to their lives, she only did it for a bit at the beginning and imo was using it to say that for all her grief in her earlier life, she still had it easier than Michael.

My opinion of Madonna has changed after seeing that. I've always thought of her as a nasty bit of work and a rancid old bat, but for someone to step up on stage and speak so well and so heartfelt about someone else for over 6 minutes, that must show a good heart.

I'm glad she did it. She said what a lot of his fans have been saying, well done Madge !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missmissa wrote: »
    All I heard was a snippet on radio one this morning where she said something like this... 'at 6 years of age Michael became famous, when I was 6 I lost my mother, I think Micheal drew the short straw!!!

Quite unbelievable for two reasons: If you're going to talk about someone else, then actually make it about them not you! And frankly celebs who wine and winge about how hard it is to be a celebrity get on my nerves. They have a choice, they know fame and wealth come with a personal price & Madonna especially has strived to stay in the business so what is her problem?
    Or am I missing the point as I only heard a snippet?[/QUOTE]

Try and watch all of it. She really gives a very good speech and turns the spotlight away from herself after a few seconds.
  • Options
    SuperstokedSuperstoked Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Madonna's speech about Michael was powerful and heartfelt and she delivered it well. Kudos to her.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the intentions of her speech were sincere - indeed they are from the same generation and in retrospect she is one of the few people who can comment honestly from first-hand experience - however, it doesn't appear they were ever great friends and were only really associated by default via their careers.

There is an ironic truth in the statement: "I had abandoned him, we had abandoned him" - and you could ask: "Where was she and all the rest when it mattered"??