I've been prescribed Amitriptyline - Advice needed ?

2»

Comments

• Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I have MS and use Amitriptyline for pain relief (caused by nerve damage) as I sometimes get problems with my left arm. It has a variety of uses and can also work as a bladder supressant (which is also handy when you have MS)

I used to take it as and when required at night time - if I take it in the day, I am virtually unconcious :eek: - but found that if I hadn't taken it for a long time and then took, for example 20 mg, I would feel sluggish and drowsy all the next day so I now take 10 mg most nights. My MS nurse did actually recommend that I take it in the early evening (she said this was the best time to take it) so I don't get any of those side effects in the morning but I always forget - plus I think I'd be out for the count if I did that and miss all the good telly :D

I get along with it pretty well - unlike Gabapentin which someone else has mentioned which made me feel like an zombie for the time I was on it - unless I take it in the day as previously mentioned.

However, I do know someone who had never taken it before and was in such bad pain that they took 70 mg in the day all in one go. He then signed up for £7,000 worth of double glazing he couldn't afford and had to go to the company office the next day and make them retract the order as he was off his head on drugs :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However, I do know someone who had never taken it before and was in such bad pain that they took 70 mg in the day all in one go. He then signed up for £7,000 worth of double glazing he couldn't afford and had to go to the company office the next day and make them retract the order as he was off his head on drugs :eek::D

Jeez Louise...was it wrong that I laughed at this?

Thanks for the advice Tweacle.

I think I am going to go ahead and start on the meds. They are only 10mg tablets and I think I might've just jumped to unnecessary conclusions after seeing that they were sometimes prescribed as an anti-depressant. I will consult my GP once again for that added reassurance...but everybody has given me great advice and I'm very thankful for it.

Cheers me dears.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Jeez Louise...was it wrong that I laughed at this?

Thanks for the advice Tweacle.

I think I am going to go ahead and start on the meds. They are only 10mg tablets and I think I might've just jumped to unnecessary conclusions after seeing that they were sometimes prescribed as an anti-depressant. I will consult my GP once again for that added reassurance...but everybody has given me great advice and I'm very thankful for it.

Cheers me dears.

No, I laughed too and still smile when I think of it :o

Anyway, good luck with it......but beware of letting double glazing salesman in :eek::D
  • ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snip>
    Sounds similar to my own symptoms.

Just so folks know...I've only been prescribed a 10mg dosage...to be doubled after 10 days.

I'm feeling more comfortable about taking the drug now...but I am still going to check in with my GP just to get some added reassurance and a little more information.

Thanks all.

Just to say... 10 - 20mg is a perfectly normal adult starter dose...

Fingers crossed it'll do what it says on the tin and be helpful in addressing your nerve pain... If it works then great and if it doesn't, with any tweaking, at least it rules out one approach and another can be considered...:)
    <snip>

OMG... For my sins I did laugh at that...:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was it. The sleeping. Couldn't get out of bed until lunchtime.