Options

Genetic heart testing...what would you do?

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
So my husband has been ill for 3 years now and was misdiagnosed for 2 years (they initially told him he had myeloma, then M.E then M.E and fibromyalgia). He was on a cocktail of medication for M.E/Fibro and was rushed into hospital in February and they diagnosed heart failure. He had actually been taking medication for his supposed ME/Fibro which is unsuitable for heart failure patients! Totally let down by the system methinks but he is not looking to fight a lawsuit as we both realise this would be a mammoth task.

Anyway, we have recently had results of his genetic testing and it shows that he has a rogue gene that can cause cardiomyopathy (ie heart failure). His dad and granddad died of heart problems so I suspect it has come down the male line but they are going to test his mum to rule out the maternal line before then testing my 3 sons who each have a 50% chance of having the gene.

I discussed this with my sons who want to be tested and initially I thought this would be a good idea too (forewarned is forearmed as they say). However, someone pointed out to me today that if it comes out that any of them have the gene then it could affect insurance applications, mortgage applications..all sorts for the rest of their life. I hadn't thought of this! My sons still say they want tested (my eldest is 18 in December so it really is his decision) but I am dubious now. Obviously I am hoping for the best possible outcome and that none of them have the gene but I am now thinking that we are maybe better off not having official clarification if it is going to affect their lives adversely when they are applying for policies, travel insurance etc.

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not pretend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    I would not pretend.

Meaning?
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meaning take advantage of free healthcare and get checked out before your arteries just sieze.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meaning take advantage of free healthcare and get checked out before your arteries just sieze.

Well thanks for your reassurance, it's seize by the way.

Taking advantage of fee healthcare? Yes it's sad that the NHS is in danger
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'd advise them to take the tests and to hell with the financial implications. The potential peace of mind versus the worrying about what you might have is priceless.

I did lots of tests a few years ago when I had some problems that they couldn't get to the bottom of. Once you have a diagnosis everything becomes easier and you stop imagining what terrible things it might be. In my case the reality was far less worrying than the things I imagined. In fact, the worrying significantly increases stress which adds to the problems (or did for me).

Of course, it is their decision in the end, but in their place I'd rather know.
  • Options
    phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have to agree with the above poster, I think not knowing could possible eat away at you, its always at the back of your mind and any slight illness would trigger anxiety thinking the worst. I understand that there is potential for being refused insurance and stuff but I personally would like the reassurance of 'knowing'.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Maid

I am v sorry about your husband. I myself have heart failure, diagnosed last December. Like you, I wasn't altogether happy with how long they took to diagnose it. However, the main thing is they did in the end.

I hope you and your husband have realised by now that heart failure doesn't have to rule your life, if he follows all the advice, takes all the medication he's been prescribed etc. My own cardiologist is delighted with the improvement in me.

Of course, it's personally up to each of your family members whether they get tested. However, I myself would, in their position. Nothing is as important as your health. If one of your family DID have the gene for it, it would be so much better to find out BEFORE becoming really ill (like I was).

My mum, brother and sister all got tested, were all negative and now have that weight off their mind. It also means my brother's and sister's children haven't got the gene, which is a big relief for their parents.

I really do feel for you and wish you and your husband all the best.

Moll
    x
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A point of order - the NHS is not 'free'. It's 'free at point of use. There's a lot of our taxes go to pay for the NHS. Well worth it in my opinion but it's still best not to fall into the trap of thinking that it's free.

To the OP: I would get tested. Ignorance is rarely better than knowledge.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Maidinscotland, firstly sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis, and bloody awful he was misdiagnosed for so long beforehand.

As for your sons, and regarding insurance, whether they go for genetic testing or not, family history will be taken into account, unfortunately. So it is far better they get tested and know one way or another, whether they, too, have the rogue gene. Insurance companies will quite possibly request medical evidence before underwriting any policies.

I wish you all well, whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think they should have the testing, if they so wish to.

I am a great believer in accepting screening when available, knowledge is power.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi!!!! Just wanted to put in my twopenny worth. Several years ago my brother in law got up early for work, the family were all still in bed. There was a loud thud from the kitchen and when the family got there Mike was on the floor unconscious. They called an ambulance and he was taken to the hospital. After a while his family were told he had died. He was 42 and had previously been very healthy, no niggles at all. When they did the postmortem they discovered he had died from a problem with his heart, a rogue gene, when they checked the family background they discovered other members of the family had died from it too but no-one had realized it was hereditary. Mike's 2 boys were offered the tests. The eldest refused, he didn't want to know but the youngest took the test. Thankfully it came back clear. Both boys have since married and both have mortgages with insurance policies set out too. Sorry for the long post. :blush: I hope you and hubby are both ok. xx
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would make the decision on whether any preventative measures could be taken if the risk were known. If not, perhaps better not knowing.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Personally I would make the decision on whether any preventative measures could be taken if the risk were known. If not, perhaps better not knowing.

Yes if there are ways to try and prevent it by acting early surely that is the best thing to do.
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    I think it's probably better that they know as they will then be in a position to consider potential implications if/when they have their own children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys, just thought I would update you all as you took the time to reply to my dilemma which I really appreciate.

We had a consultation with the genetic counsellor today and she clarified a few things for us. Firstly, she said that all insurance forms ask if your parent or family have a history of heart disease but no-one is allowed to ask if you have been genetically tested so that got rid of that concern for us.

She also confirmed that the condition my husband has only presents itself in adulthood (and then not always, she reckons my husband's virus that he had 3 years ago triggered the rogue gene). She said that the hospital advocate not to have children tested because it takes the decision away from them and they believe that it should be their decision when they are old enough (finding out now would not give us any 'head start' as there is nothing we can physically do to prevent anything if the condition is going to present itself). She also cited examples of families who have had the genetic testing and wish they hadn't because they can end up viewing an affected child differently and wrapping them up in cotton wool. My eldest son who is coming up for 18 is to have a consultation with her (he is adamant he wants to know) and she will give him more info at that consultation and then it is up to him if he wants to be tested or not. The fact that he is very sporty and is embarking on a career of sports coaching means that she is of the opinion he perhaps would be better knowing.

Our two youngest children (aged 9 and 12) have to be clinically screened once a year (ie ecg etc) to check they are still fit and healthy and, if any cause for concern, then they can act accordingly. My husbands brother, sister and their children have all been given forms to complete to decide if they wish to be tested or not.

So, the way things are at the moment, it looks very likely that my oldest son will opt to be tested and that we will let our two youngest decide when they are old enough if they want tested or not and in the meantime they will just be clinically screened each year. The extended family will need to decide for themselves what they want to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the latest update. I hope your eldest son gets the news he is hoping for. Hope you are all ok. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Thanks for the latest update. I hope your eldest son gets the news he is hoping for. Hope you are all ok. xx

Thank you :)