Comments

• bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    He's quite odd looking - I'm unsure if he's attractive or not
    Pretty good actor tho.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find him exceptionally talented though (I think he's OK - but no better nor worse than others of the same 'standing' for want of a better word). From some interviews I've read from him - he's a bit of a whinger isn't he?

I'd rather have David Morrissey any day of the week - talent, looks, a towering presence.

Not sure about the whinger bit, I think he's just honest in interviews and not really a people pleaser, all gush and gratititude. Is he the best out there? No, but he's really interesting to watch and has done some seriously good work over the last 5 years.

(Agree re Morrissey, all-rounder, as is the excellent Mark Strong.)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one?

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/5485699/968full-wanda-ventham.jpg

...OK, everybody leave, I need a minute or two...

Yep. Great episode too, right up there with The Cat With 10 Lives and my favourite, the wonderful 'Mindbender'. Sorry, this isn't a UFO thread, is it. :blush:

Ummmmm....I think BC is very talented. Seems like a nice, level headed chap too, with a GSOH. I like him.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely cannot stand the privilaged man. So full of his own importance and not even remotely attractive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    He's a very charismatic man, aware of his luck in the world (also a nice trait in a celebrity), and he's a very good actor. I can see the attraction.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I used to like him but now I find him so annoying. He's everywhere

Thats success for you :D
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    He's a very charismatic man, aware of his luck in the world (also a nice trait in a celebrity), and he's a very good actor. I can see the attraction.

but he's not aware that his very privledged upbringing has helped him is he ....he's moaned in several interviews about people mentioning his upbringing and that his social class has not helped in his career when it patently has !
    Not saying he's not a good actor - he's actor with limited range. Very much from the same acting school as Helen Bonham Carter , basically playing version of themselves in every role.

Maxine Peak is right when she says acting is now mainly the preserve of the rich .
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    but he's not aware that his very privledged upbringing has helped him is he ....he's moaned in several interviews about people mentioning his upbringing and that his social class has not helped in his career when it patently has !
    Not saying he's not a good actor - he's actor with limited range. Very much from the same acting school as Helen Bonham Carter , basically playing version of themselves in every role.

Maxine Peak is right when she says acting is now mainly the preserve of the rich .

David Morrissey pointed out the same thing. Rich acting students/actors can afford to take unpaid 'internships' whilst poor acting student/actors have to work any old job to pay the bills. Mind you - I suppose its the same in every profession.

What can I say? God favours the rich - I suppose we'd just better get used to it.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »

In what way though, is he anything like Khan, Alan Turing, Stephen Hawking, Sherlock Holmes or Charles Aiken? I'm not even a fan of his, but I don't understand why people think he either plays the same role or plays a version of himself. Playing a lot of characters with RP accents doesn't mean they're similar.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen him on stage twice and both times he was absolutely fantastic. His acting in IG is also great and everyone that I know that has seen it agrees with me. According to a cousin of mine who is a TV producer he is nothing like most of the characters he has played. My cousin knows him. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on everything.

As for his looks, well, I know people who think Laurence Fox and Billie Piper are attractive and I think he's odd looking and she's ugly. It's all a matter of personal opinion as luckily everyone sees things differently. It would be so boring if we all agreed on things.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    David Morrissey pointed out the same thing. Rich acting students/actors can afford to take unpaid 'internships' whilst poor acting student/actors have to work any old job to pay the bills. Mind you - I suppose its the same in every profession.

What can I say? God favours the rich - I suppose we'd just better get used to it.

It is not just being rich, these actors have connections through their parents. Look at Beckham, his son is employed as a model for thousands of pounds only because he is David Beckham's son. Hilarious to read the articles about how this young man is learning how to work for a living!! Yes, stand around in a raincoat, smile and laugh all the way to the Bank!!

I like Cumberbach as Sherlock and he was great at Khan. Thought it was ridiculous when he was interviewed and complained he only ever got Posh Boy parts. He is an ACTOR after all, he should be able to play any part, use various accents etc. .
    Forum Member
    I've seen him on stage twice and both times he was absolutely fantastic. His acting in IG is also great and everyone that I know that has seen it agrees with me. According to a cousin of mine who is a TV producer he is nothing like most of the characters he has played. My cousin knows him. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on everything.

As for his looks, well, I know people who think Laurence Fox and Billie Piper are attractive and I think he's odd looking and she's ugly. It's all a matter of personal opinion as luckily everyone sees things differently. It would be so boring if we all agreed on things.

Yes, thank goodness beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    In what way though, is he anything like Khan, Alan Turing, Stephen Hawking, Sherlock Holmes or Charles Aiken? I'm not even a fan of his, but I don't understand why people think he either plays the same role or plays a version of himself. Playing a lot of characters with RP accents doesn't mean they're similar.

Exactly, the actress who only plays herself is Jennifer Aniston, always "Rachael" in every ROMCOM movie she is in. BC has had a a huge number of roles over the last few years, all very different from one another.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, the actress who only plays herself is Jennifer Aniston, always "Rachael" in every ROMCOM movie she is in. BC has had a a huge number of roles over the last few years, all very different from one another.

She has deviated away from Rachel in certain roles though, but she definitely should stick to roles outside of romcoms. She was great in the Good Girl. She seems to be playing racier roles these days.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »

Agreed. I'm re-watching Parade's End, and my friend sent me a picture of his Sherlock look and I was thinking only today how completely different the two roles are. And then there is a post about how he plays himself....:confused:
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not just being rich, these actors have connections through their parents. Look at Beckham, his son is employed as a model for thousands of pounds only because he is David Beckham's son. Hilarious to read the articles about how this young man is learning how to work for a living!! Yes, stand around in a raincoat, smile and laugh all the way to the Bank!!

I like Cumberbach as Sherlock and he was great at Khan. Thought it was ridiculous when he was interviewed and complained he only ever got Posh Boy parts. He is an ACTOR after all, he should be able to play any part, use various accents etc. .

There are plenty of posh actors but I think his name, while very memorable, does stereotype him.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Agreed. I'm re-watching Parade's End, and my friend sent me a picture of his Sherlock look and I was thinking only today how completely different the two roles are. And then there is a post about how he plays himself....:confused:

he was superb in Parade's End a very layered and nuanced performance
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was nothing like Sherlock, Stephen Hawking, Frankenstein plus the Creature, Khan and many more, in ' August, Osage County'. Some of the cast didn't realise he wasn't American, at rehearsals. The man is brilliant.
    He was acting for years before becoming famous so having parents who are actors didn't help much if at all, in terms of getting work.
    His portrayal of the Creature in ' Frankenstein' wasn't remotely, 'posh'. It was mind blowing. He's also excellent at comedy, eg in ' Starter For Ten'. Is the most versatile, skilled and entertaining actor I've seen since the late Sir Alec Guinness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    He does seem to be everywhere recently :eek:
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I saw him in Frankenstein and he was spectacular. I'm not sure criticising an actor is right unless you have seen the breadth of their work. He is an especially talented fellow who takes his job seriously and only appropriately courts the media.
    What's not to like?
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I saw him in Frankenstein and he was spectacular. I'm not sure criticising an actor is right unless you have seen the breadth of their work. He is an especially talented fellow who takes his job seriously and only appropriately courts the media.
    What's not to like?

Agreed. It's also possible that some people have seen only the publicity for his work rather than his work, or more than a small sample of it.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    He's quite odd looking - I'm unsure if he's attractive or not
    Pretty good actor tho.

Let's call him ugly cause that's what he is in my eyes, the right school, wealth and connections got him where he is today, find him very bland as an actor, tries to hard to be a modern Terry Thomas.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's call him ugly cause that's what he is in my eyes, the right school, wealth and connections got him where he is today, find him very bland as an actor, tries to hard to be a modern Terry Thomas.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be interesting to hear what he thought of your divine visage. As to him being successful because of his school, wealth and connections, well, if he is a little posh, maybe that does give him the edge in carrying off posh roles. Why should he not capitalise on a natural advantage?
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

the thing is when people have charisma, or are talented, or interesting, they become attractive, more so than the clichéd handsome man; some people are attracted by personality, character, humour and intelligence.

But your comment about Terry Thomas makes it clear you either haven't seen him act in anything or you have poor critical faculties.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be interesting to hear what he thought of your divine visage. As to him being successful because of his school, wealth and connections, well, if he is a little posh, maybe that does give him the edge in carrying off posh roles. Why should he not capitalise on a natural advantage?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Christ I'm no oil painting and the first to say so.