Options

One in four voters would fall out with their friend if they discovered they were UKIP

1235»

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I think I'd feel a little sorry for some working class folk voting UKIP due to issues of Europe. UKIP are certainly not a party who'd represent the working class, quite the opposite, but they're the only party offering a realistic exit from Europe

Voting for a party to the right of the Tories, just to get out of Europe, is a very dangerous game.

I agree, I don't think they would or do represent the working class. All that Farage seems to have in common with the working class is that he goes down the pub for a pint, but IMO there's more to the working class than that
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'd feel a little sorry for some working class folk voting UKIP due to issues of Europe. UKIP are certainly not a party who'd represent the working class, quite the opposite, but they're the only party offering a realistic exit from Europe

Voting for a party to the right of the Tories, just to get out of Europe, is a very dangerous game.

For the working class, a UK under Tory/UKIP rule is far more scary than anything Europe could muster up.

Not really, a Tory/UKIP rule outside of Europe would have the chance of being ejected from power within five years of taking office. Anything the EU could muster up would be with us for much longer and doubtless there would be little we could change as the sovereignty of the UK drained away.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure there really is one right now. What is for sure though, it's certainly not UKIP.

Oh come now, stop being so coy. You know what you really want to say:D
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I don't think they would or do represent the working class. All that Farage seems to have in common with the working class is that he goes down the pub for a pint, but IMO there's more to the working class than that

..yep like displaying the St.Georges cross without fear of being mocked, driving a white van and earning a living...
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not believe this result for one minute.

It works the other way. Why would anyone be embarrassed to say they support UKIP. The only party that wants the UK to leave the EU.

Other established parties could, at a stroke, decimate UKIP by adopting the same stance. The fact that they don't says more about them, than about UKIP. UKIP are the only party offering the UK the right choice. That's why UKIP will continue to get my vote.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    ..yep like displaying the St.Georges cross without fear of being mocked, driving a white van and earning a living...

Well yes all those and more., but having a pint down the pub doesn't make you working class.
    BTW what class does Farage belong to?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »

No white van, no flags, but earning a living, how does that stack up? Metro elite perhaps?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're going very off topic and rehashing arguments, but the opposition did not do its job by questioning the data. We don't know what they would have done if they were in power, but we do know that only 15 of the Tory MPs rebelled. If the Tories had not supported the war, then the 139 Labour rebels would have helped defeat the government. I'm not absolving Blair of any blame, but the Tories cannot escape the blame either. We also know that while in power they have been happy to kill people in Libya and wanted to kill people in Syria, but were prevented by Labour and some government rebels.

I have a suspicion that under IDS the Conservatives would have probably gone to war. It was IDS who saw the intelligence provided by Blair and reported to his party that he was convinced of the need for military action. IDS should have known much better how big a liar was Blair, Bush and the intelligence services but he wasn't and isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, a walking disaster in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    The trouble is we don't know what most of their other policies are ......Nigel Farage was asked on a TV programme earlier in the week why dont you say what more of your policies are.....his reply was we don't want to say because other parties will only pinch our ideas and that by next March we will have more of our policies on the table, nearer the election.....now until these are discussed and out in the open we will indeed wont know how people will react to them......

Most people are voting for UKIP atm because (not because they are against all immigration) its because what uncontrolled immigration does to our public services, housing and lowering wages....the main parties (especially Labour) don't get it and until they do UKIP will continue to get more and more popular....

He's almost certainly right, the two main parties have already started down the UKIP trail. IN FRance, the Front National were in with a chance of defeating Sarkozy until the UMP instigated some of Marine le Pen's policies on immigrants and immigration, Hollande is still trying to do it.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Or 3 out of four would keep silent no matter whether they were concerned or not...which they might have to do depending on the circumstances.

I'd imagine 3/4 of people could engage in healthy debate with their friends. After all what else do you talk about when you've finished mocking their religion and nation's sporting prowess; but how wrong their politics are?

I'm surprised to be honest that 1/4 people are so egotistical they'd "fall out" with what I suspect would be their only friend in the first place.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Or another way of looking at it is that 25% of the electorate absolutely would not vote UKIP then another 25% will not bother to vote which leaves UKIP with about 50% of the electorate to get their vote from. Add into that equation that UKIP are invisible in large parts of the country then the picture really is not that bright for the purple people.

I'm not a UKIP supporter I was just trying to point out how misleadingly negative the headline is . From UKIP's point of view 3/4 being ok with them is a huge improvement on two years ago when they were viewed very much like the BNP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    I'm not a UKIP supporter I was just trying to point out how misleadingly negative the headline is . From UKIP's point of view 3/4 being ok with them is a huge improvement on two years ago when they were viewed very much like the BNP.

I don't think they were viewed like the BNP. All the main parties have always refused to share a platform with the BNP. That was/is not the case with UKIP.

Actually this poll surprises me a bit. UKIP was the 'respectable' party for those who are against immigration rather than the overtly racist BNP. This polls shows how divisive UKIP are, and for a significant percentage of the population an unacceptable and non-respectable party. And it not just about the so called prejudice of lefties and the liberal elite because nobody has problems with any of the other parties.
    UKIP have a problem because for too many they are seen as a far right party outside the mainstream rather than a right wing party with in mainstream politics.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    A guy at work voted UKIP. I asked him why. He said it was for their European policies. He said he hated their other policies but didn't feel any other party served his anti-EU views. That's fine with me. He wants UKIP just for that but not for their other questionable policies.

It makes me wonder why Lib/Lab/Con don't just get together and agree to legislate for a referendum to stay in, or leave the EU on election day. That would be the end of UKIP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . This polls shows how divisive UKIP are, and for a significant percentage of the population an unacceptable and non-respectable party. And it not just about the so called prejudice of lefties and the liberal elite because nobody has problems with any of the other parties.
    UKIP have a problem because for too many they are seen as a far right party outside the mainstream rather than a right wing party with in mainstream politics.

The poll, even if it isn't flawed, shows nothing of divisiveness of UKIP. There is no party that has an acceptability by a majority of the voters, let alone of the population and no party has universal respect, a major reason why people are turning away from them by either voting for others or not voting at all.....there's enough evidence on this board alone that will tell you how many people have problems with parties. The idea that UKIP are far right is a massive nonsense based on total misconception and media reporting along with some of those on here who see Labour begining to falter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me wonder why Lib/Lab/Con don't just get together and agree to legislate for a referendum to stay in, or leave the EU on election day. That would be the end of UKIP.

It would also be the end of LibLabCon if the vote was to come out of the EU.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    One in four is one quarter, so what you're saying is that three quarters wouldn't. Or to put it another way - a vast, overwhelming majority.

I couldn't give a toss who my friends vote for.

I would bet my last pound that the "one in four" would be left wing/ Labour supporters who cannot accept anyone else has a right to their own views if it conflicts with what they believe. Who in all honesty needs friends like that?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I would bet my last pound that the "one in four" would be left wing/ Labour supporters who cannot accept anyone else has a right to their own views if it conflicts with what they believe. Who in all honesty needs friends like that?
    Please can you donate your last pound to a nice Green charity:)
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/cdtc7pcf75/TheTimesResults_141121_friends_party_support_Website.pdf
    10.08% Lib Dems
    9.6% Labour
    3.12% Tory
    I assume the other 1.2% is rounding, Greens, SNP and BNP supporters thinking they are communists.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please can you donate your last pound to a nice Green charity:)
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/cdtc7pcf75/TheTimesResults_141121_friends_party_support_Website.pdf
    10.08% Lib Dems
    9.6% Labour
    3.12% Tory
    I assume the other 1.2% is rounding, Greens, SNP and BNP supporters thinking they are communists.

I'm surprised they found enough LD voters to get a fair sample; I'm astounded they found enough who think they have a friend; but strangely not surprised they'd turn on that friend - so maybe that skews the figures :D
  • Options
    Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Me neither.
    At least it will be a cheaper Christmas card list for the UKIP voters of Rochester as they identify which of their "friends" are snotty, two-faced idiots.:D

Why on earth would UKIP send you a Christmas card?? But, no , of course they wouldn't - you are no friend of theirs are you. You are just a non- friend of UKIP who is a snotty nosed idiot!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    I'm surprised they found enough LD voters to get a fair sample; I'm astounded they found enough who think they have a friend; but strangely not surprised they'd turn on that friend - so maybe that skews the figures :D

I quite like the 1 per cent of Labour supporters who would drop a friend if they found out they had become a supporter of ..... Labour.:D
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    How do these people who choose friendships based on political affiliation live in the real world? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I quite like the 1 per cent of Labour supporters who would drop a friend if they found out they had become a supporter of ..... Labour.:D

Or the 8% of UKIP supporters that would disagree with their friends if they became UKIP supporters too. I guess there is only room for one UKIPer in the village:p
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Or the 8% of UKIP supporters that would disagree with their friends if they became UKIP supporters too. I guess there is only room for one UKIPer in the village:p

Or the 11 per cent of Labour supporters who would find it easier to be friends if they started supporting the Greens rather than Labour.

Or maybe it's just bunkum?