Neil Oliver Appreciation

2»

Comments

• ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got a gorgeous accent, and I find him very likeable and engaging.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from all the mickey taking I've been doing I think his programmes are very interesting and informative and bring the past to life. As a rambler I come across all sorts of stuff in the landscape - such as long barrows and stone circles and now I have some inkling as to their purpose thanks to Mr Oliver.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    Apart from all the mickey taking I've been doing I think his programmes are very interesting and informative and bring the past to life. As a rambler I come across all sorts of stuff in the landscape - such as long barrows and stone circles and now I have some inkling as to their purpose thanks to Mr Oliver.

I agree, he has made history and places very interesting and infomative but sometimes I suspect he trys too hard to outdo the history and the landscape and become the story.
    Coast has become defined by a guy with flowing hair and another with a brolly in a rucksack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree, he has made history and places very interesting and infomative but sometimes I suspect he trys too hard to outdo the history and the landscape and become the story.
    Coast has become defined by a guy with flowing hair and another with a brolly in a rucksack.

Maybe for some members of the public they need hooks (eg Mr Oliver) as a kind of gimmick to get them interested in history and the landscape. I think it enriches peoples lives and takes them out of themselves: out of the daily hum drum etc to think of the past.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe for some members of the public they need hooks (eg Mr Oliver) as a kind of gimmick to get them interested in history and the landscape. I think it enriches peoples lives and takes them out of themselves: out of the daily hum drum etc to think of the past.

Not me, I live mostly in the past:D And I am a west coast of Sotland lass.:p
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I often sit behind him on the train, I like to sniff him. He smells like the Molton Brown shop.

Could you tell me which train?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Oliver is still doing it for me (I wish) - watching History of Ancient Britain again - he's SO manly: abseiling down a cliff at the Gower Peninsular to recreate the finding of 33,000 yr old remains of ancient man, trudging across a snowy field without a hat or gloves (cos he's HARD) to illustrate the last Ice Age - sigh - and his voice. What a fine sexy Scotsman he is.

At the end he was on a beach - all wind-swept and interesting then the prog finished with him striding manfully over bleak moorland - Whoo hooo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Oliver is still doing it for me (I wish) - watching History of Ancient Britain again - he's SO manly: abseiling down a cliff at the Gower Peninsular to recreate the finding of 33,000 yr old remains of ancient man, trudging across a snowy field without a hat or gloves (cos he's HARD) to illustrate the last Ice Age - sigh - and his voice. What a fine sexy Scotsman he is.

At the end he was on a beach - all wind-swept and interesting then the prog finished with him striding manfully over bleak moorland - Whoo hooo!

What nae gloves :eek: I like his programmes he makes History interesting and he does have a braw voice.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you tell me which train?

Alloa train from Glasgow Queen Street. He gets off in Stirling.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May I recommend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTaTwkiAXBs

:D:D:D:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what it says on the Molton Brown website (not that I'm obsessed or anything - but it's been a slow day):

Inspired by travel, potent and precious ingredients, never tested on animals, unmistakeably - cough- ENGLISH!!!:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what it says on the Molton Brown website (not that I'm obsessed or anything - but it's been a slow day):

Inspired by travel, potent and precious ingredients, never tested on animals, unmistakeably - cough- ENGLISH!!!:eek:

:(

Actually I think celebrity sniffing will be my new pastime. I'd like a good whiff of Daniel Craig next, thank you.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »

Awww thanks - this was really good. Neil was a bit of a scaredy sailor at first eh? Not surprising in that weather. An interesting programme as ever presented by him. Not too keen on the penguin curry stories though ;)