Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Save ten of them and then I'd have a whole penny

m = milli = 10e-3 as in millimetre
    M = mega = 10e6 as in megawatt

prefixes not suffixes

ect.

For all your (false) pedantry, you end your post with a typo. Yay. Get over yourself.

m is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation for a million when it comes to money: http://lexicon.ft.com/Search?letter=M
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would probably fritter it all away on some gold digging slags
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a flat - in London, so that's half of it gone already!

Give myself a couple of years off work to focus seriously on writing and creative work (which I do anyway but time is a real issue with a full-time job) and deciding what else to do with my life in terms of generating income. And then doing it. As someone else said, this stuff can be done anyway, sort of, but it'd be nice to have the safety net to avoid ending up in cardboard box somewhere under a bridge because of taking a risk...

I would invest the rest.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay off mortgage and do the house up, probs about £100k
    Give away about £400k
    Invest about £350k
    The remainder I'd buy a souped up Campervan and keep driving til the money ran out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Turn it into £20 million.
  • Options
    aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Build a house on the west coast of Scotland
    Buy a range rover evoque
    Take my brother sister and dad too London for 5 nights
    Take my dad to New York
    Open a cafe
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invest it into my company to kick a game project back into action, that we had to shelve when the recession started.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this order :
    Pay off all debts
    Give my parents a large sum
    Buy my dream car ( a mini)
    Buy a house away from this town ,out in the sticks. Live in isolation for while writing my best seller.
    Get laser eye surgery and new teeth.
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I change mine to laser eye surgery, new teeth and the baked beans sausage thing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    openarms wrote: »
    Can I change mine to laser eye surgery, new teeth and the baked beans sausage thing?

Only if I can add an unlimited supply of custard related foods? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd build myself a nice house with top of the range materials and services etc. so I'd only ever have small bills to pay, no mortgage or boiler replacements. That would really solve most of life's worries, and I could work for pleasure. There'd be a granny annex for my mum (she'd love it) and I'd give my brother money for a house, or at least a deposit.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a little house away from where i am now, somewhere closer to the sea probably. Set up a high interest savings account for my little nephew, who i adore, so he has a decent head start in life when he grows up.

Pay off my mums debts, buy a nice car, donate some to the local animal rescue centre near me. Should leave me with a nice chunk of cash to save, build on!

People say money doesn't make you happy, well that's a myth, £1m would change my life so much, just the thought of it makes me happy, so if it ever became a reality i'd been ecstatic i'm sure!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Invest all of it. 1 million doesn't go far these days if you want to buy lots of luxuries for yourself and friends/family.

Isn't it sad but oh so true, none of us could really retire on a million anymore , unless we were maybe near that age already. Invest it and live more comfortably is what we would all have to do.
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a Hermes Birkin & a Chanel 2.55 handbag - 10k

Buy a house in Cyprus - 250k

Pay off mortgage and restore our house to former Victorian glory with all mod cons including excavating the cellar which is huge and turn it into granny flat / gym / games room - 100k

New car each - 50k

Gifts to family - 100k

Donations to favourite charities - 40k

Invest the rest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    Buy a nice flat or a smallish house, invest the rest. Exciting! :D
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay off my student loans, pay off my Mum's debts for her, spend it on a few holidays, do some shopping, share some with my family & friends then live off the rest for as long as I could?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd buy 10000 thai hookers!
    You can buy a hooker fishes for ever, but if you buy them fishnets they can catch men for life.
    It must be true, I saw it on a telly ad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Give some to my parents, put the rest of it in an ISA, finish Uni, find job, and use about a quarter of it to buy a flat or small house, go to New York, keep the rest in an ISA, using it for things I need or desperately covet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you people finished dreaming. Whether it is 1 in 3,000,000 or a 1 in 600,000 chance, the chances of you winning still approximates zero.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    put £100,000 in my 2 daughters bank accounts for when they are older, buy a big house and a long long holiday
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Buy myself a small family home, buy my mum a house and buy a house somewhere cheap to rent out, pay bills and save the rest. I would keep working but not having rent or mortgage to pay would allow me to spend pretty much all my wages as I wish.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Not tell anybody about my good fortune.

2) Divide it up into various accounts.

3) Continue living as I am now, without having to worry about finances.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Not tell anybody about my good fortune.

2) Divide it up into various accounts.

3) Continue living as I am now, without having to worry about finances.

I like that. I fancy I wouldn't even tell my family. Spend nothing, just carry on as normal, but a little bit more smug.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I figure that if I didn't tell anyone, I could still gift cash/items to family/friends at any time if I chose to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By a house, give a away 100k and blow the rest over about 4 years.