Gabapentin

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Anyone use Gabapentin for pain relief?

I have to take 2 x 300mg before it starts to work but then I get too tired to do anything physical.

Comments

• LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was taking 900mg 3 times a day but have now changed to another drug. Personally it didn't help with my pain, I did used to get awful side effects from it though. Tiredness (but unable to sleep) being one of them. Sorry not much help
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I was taking 900mg 3 times a day but have now changed to another drug. Personally it didn't help with my pain, I did used to get awful side effects from it though. Tiredness (but unable to sleep) being one of them. Sorry not much help

No that's very helpful. I was worried 2 x 300mg might be too much but if you were taking 900mg then it looks like I'm OK in that respect.

I agree about the tiredness though, very annoying being tired but not being able to sleep.

What is the new medicine you are on?
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I had a very torrid four weeks on Gabapentin where I felt like a zombie. I'm quite tolerant but it is a horrible drug.

I'm now on Pregabalin - it's cleaner, improved version - and so much happier.

I take it for neuropathic pain along with Amitriptyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a very torrid four weeks on Gabapentin where I felt like a zombie. I'm quite tolerant but it is a horrible drug.

Oh you have neuropathic pain as well?

How did yours develop?

Mine is probably because of type 2 diabetes.

I will have to ask my doctor about Pregabalin.
    Forum Member

How did yours develop?

I have MS.

I take Amitriptyline for pain I get in my left arm and Pregabalin for pain and pins & needles in my left leg. Pregabalin does nothing for the arm, Amitriptyline does nothing for the leg. I have no idea why! :D

Pregabalin is fabulous. The first morning I woke up after taking Gabapentin, I went head first into a shelving unit by my bed :blush: My balance was totally off for the four weeks I managed to stick it out and I just felt dreadful on it. The first morning I woke up after taking Pregabalin, once the initial grogginess had cleared, I could feel a difference by the lunchtime.

For me personally, I know quite quickly which drugs I take to manage my symptoms I'm going to get along with.
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too have chronic neuropathic pain. I am now taking Duloxetine, I have only been taking it for two days and feel like death so I'm not sure how its going to work out. I was also taking amatriptiline (sp). Mine is (they think) caused by Adenomyosis (like endometriosis but outside of the womb). I had a hysterectomy followed by complications and it has now resulted in this. I also have a zolodex implant to put me back through the menopause (second time at 34!!). I also receive physiotherapy to see if it helps (so far it doesn't). I have also have clinical depression because of it all.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I'd avoid both these drugs like the plague.
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no info on how effective these drugs are but one word of warning: you mustn't take them if you have Heart Failure - and possibly other heart conditions (and you mustn't take Ibuprofen, either, if you have heart problems) Your doctor should know this but mine didn't; he prescribed me Gabapentin and I discovered only from looking at the leaflet that I mustn't take it with my heart condition.
    Forum Member

Good for you!

But taking drugs like these are the only thing that help me through the day, living as I do with a condition that causes chronic pain amongst a whole lot of other nasty symptoms and irreparable damage.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How did yours develop?

Pregabalin works well for me (doesn't completely get rid of pain but no obvious side effects). I haven't tried gabapentin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info folks, and sorry to hear why some of you are suffering pain too.

At least I have an idea of what to talk to the Dr about.

Only sleep gets rid of the pain at the moment.
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP,
    I'm sorry to hear of your pain, I took gabapentin and it didnt agree with me either. I've also taken Pregablin and it caused me to make jerky movements that I had no control over, particularly at night when I sometimes left the surface of the bed I twitched so hard, but sometimes I'd be talking to someone and my back jerked causing me to shove my boobs out! It was embarrassing and inconvenient. It also made me feel unwell.
    To be honest no strong pain killers agreed with me though so perhaps I'm more unusual then I thought!
    Good luck hun xxx
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabapentin didn't suit me either. I took them for nerve pain and my connective tissue disease. They made me very drowsy and as if I had been drugged up with sleeping pills. Over the few weeks I was on them, the tiredness got worse and worse. I came off them (you must do this gradually) but after a short time, the pain was so bad that I just had to try something else.

I was then given Pregabalin, which I have been on for about six years now and the suit me very well. I am only on a small dose of 50mg in the morning and 75mg at night.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Gabapentin for arthritis pain - have been for a few years now. I take 3 x 600mg a day (1,800mg total) and it's great for me. I take it alongside Tramadol and Naproxen, so I don't know if the mix contributes to the effectiveness? I do know that if I don't take the Gabapentin I feel the difference (definitely not in a withdrawal way). Anyway, it suits me, so I'm happy with it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex took Gabapentin for pain related to Charcott Marie-Tooth Syndrome, alongside Tramadol and Naproxen.

Mixed results is the only way to describe it. Sometimes she was in a lot of pain, other times the medication seemed to quench most of it.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also take these two, along with Co-codamol. I still have bad days, but have more good days than bad so manage with the pain. The tiredness caused is well worth it, given the relief it gives me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have MS and can neither tolerate gabapentin or pregablin. I'm not on any treatment other than co codamol which just spaces me out.

Proper pain in the everything!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been taking gabapentin for six years for trigeminal neuralgia and I don't think I really get any side effects from it. I take 900mg daily.

(The only side effects I ever got was from the carbamazepine I take alongside it. I was taking that for a few months before gabapentin. It made me sleep for 16-18 hours a day, but my body gradually got used to it.)

Sending out best wishes to those suffering from long-term pain xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't take these meds for fun.
    So, how do you treat your neuropathic pain then?
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed gabapentin, ages ago, as an AED. Haven't been on it for years.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Good for you!

But taking drugs like these are the only thing that help me through the day, living as I do with a condition that causes chronic pain amongst a whole lot of other nasty symptoms and irreparable damage.
    We don't take these meds for fun.
    So, how do you treat your neuropathic pain then?

I've worked a bit on neuropathic pain and know it's poorly understood and that there's basically no decent treatment. I know of gabapentin because of this research and have a friend who's mother had a terrible time on it. Was just saying that they're very poor drugs that can often cause more problems than they treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've worked a bit on neuropathic pain and know it's poorly understood and that there's basically no decent treatment. I know of gabapentin because of this research and have a friend who's mother had a terrible time on it. Was just saying that they're very poor drugs that can often cause more problems than they treat.
    There's not much of a choice really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The pain is just about bearable at the moment so I haven't been taking any pills.

But I am worried Gaba gives me violent thoughts.

I have a really weird dream the other night about the bin men not taking away our wheelie bins (which were not ours as they were the big ones) because it had a car inside it. :eek:
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    The pain is just about bearable at the moment so I haven't been taking any pills.

But I am worried Gaba gives me violent thoughts.

I have a really weird dream the other night about the bin men not taking away our wheelie bins (which were not ours as they were the big ones) because it had a car inside it. :eek:

I this why you've been drilling holes in them! :p
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member

Do you have any side effects with Amitriptyline? And/or weight gain?