Extremists pushing veganism on you

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
Forum Member
Im a vegetarian, mainly because I dont like meat but also because I dont like how they treat animals in some conditions. So naturally I sign a petition against animal cruelty in the food industry when I walk past a stall in town.
So the woman thanks me and asks whether I'm vegetarian or not, I reply that I am and she then gives me leaflets on veganism and starts to tell me about how cruel the dairy industry is aswell. I agreed with her that yes some cows are made to overproduce too much milk that they're unable to walk etc. But that's why you buy organic. She then proceeded to tell me that the milk is just for the calves and it wasnt made for humans and we shouldnt be drinking it. The leaflet explained how some people are unable to digest dairy in their stomach and end up being lactose intolerant etc so its obvious that humans shouldnt be drinking it and that its not for us.
What are peoples view on this? Should we be drinking dairy or is it just for the calves?

Comments

• OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dairy industry is just as cruel as the meat industry and for that reason I cut out dairy.............but it also had health benefits both in terms of keeping my weight low and giving me more energy. There are so many milk substitutes (and cheese) that I don`t miss dairy one bit. And it does seem strange that people would be horrified at the thought of drinking human breast milk but have no problem with drinking the milk from a cow. :rolleyes: But I disagree with people trying to preach it onto others - everyone is capable of making up their own mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    So why not buy organic? Why cut dairy out completley?
    I take it you watched the documentary about breast milk Olga ;)
    I agree with you but I couldnt drink breastmilk as a substitute for cows milk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose it was PETA handing out the leaflets was it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there would be anything that wrong with tasting breast milk, but obviously I wouldn't be drenching my cereal in it. Cows milk is homogenised so it is safe to drink, whereas breast milk isn't processed. I think there are worse things to get worked up about than milk.
  • OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elenaleeds wrote: »
    So why not buy organic? Why cut dairy out completley?
    I take it you watched the documentary about breast milk Olga ;)
    I agree with you but I couldnt drink breastmilk as a substitute for cows milk.
    Yes I did watch that documentary. Cows milk contains so many hormones/antibiotics (and the jury is out on whether they are harmful to humans), whereas human breast milk is natural. It just seems odd to me that the thought of drinking human milk would horrify so many people :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Yes I did watch that documentary. Cows milk contains so many hormones/antibiotics (and the jury is out on whether they are harmful to humans), whereas human breast milk is natural. It just seems odd to me that the thought of drinking human milk would horrify so many people :confused:

Because it's not the norm - before the documentary I had never heard of people drinking breast milk. The milk is designed for new born babies who need lots of nutrients to grow. Why should adults drink it when they can get the same benefits from cows milk - its still healthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Can Vegans PUSH anything, without getting out of breath,
    turning pale, or breaking out in zits? [only joking] Guys! :D
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    elenaleeds wrote: »
    The leaflet explained how some people are unable to digest dairy in their stomach and end up being lactose intolerant etc so its obvious that humans shouldnt be drinking it and that its not for us.

That's just dumb.. if we took everyone's allergies as a sign that we shouldn't be eating what they're allergic to, we'd starve to death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    What am I supposed to have with my BigMac if we don't drink milk? Their strawberry milkshakes are perfect!! :D
  • My_Dark_SideMy_Dark_Side Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    nitpick wrote: »
    Can Vegans PUSH anything, without getting out of breath,
    turning pale, or breaking out in zits? [only joking] Guys! :D

:D:D:D

At least they can't chase you down the street because of their rickets.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm anti any kind of extremists pushing their views on to others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    I lover meat, cant do without it. If somebody tried to tell me about the treatment of animals, I would tell them where to go.

Animals should be treated well, however in todays society that is just not going to happen, with profit being the main objective. Its a shame, but what can you do?

What annoys me about these animal rights crowd, is that they seem to care more about animals than humans, which is the biggest shame of all.
  • AWESOMESAUCE!AWESOMESAUCE! Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I don't know what the vegans are whining about when it comes to dairy farming. Most women love having their boobs sucked, the cows not only have more boobs being sucked, I'm sure they get it more than most women do. I bet they love it, the dirty dirty cows. :p

No animals were harmed by me as I wrote this post, I even made sure my coffee was black.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    I don't know what the vegans are whining about when it comes to dairy farming. Most women love having their boobs sucked, the cows not only have more boobs being sucked, I'm sure they get it more than most women do. I bet they love it, the dirty dirty cows. :p

No animals were harmed by me as I wrote this post, I even made sure my coffee was black.

Are you sure about that?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore her. Milk is good. Meat is good

Bacon sarnies are the dogs wotsits :D
  • AWESOMESAUCE!AWESOMESAUCE! Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Are you sure about that?

Definitley, I made sure I switched off my kitten-torturer while I posted. :)
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I don't like milk much so don't have it ever on it's own but i still have milkshakes and cheese and such like.

I don't have a problem with others only eating veg or not but they should keep it to themselves and stop trying to convince others. I can't stand anyone trying to force their opinions, if it's so obvious then we will all see it for ourselves:rolleyes:
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Definitley, I made sure I switched off my kitten-torturer while I posted. :)

I'm sure the poor pussy was extremely grateful. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There would be too much milk. The calves are crated up and shipped off to become delicious, succulent veal.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know I shouldnt but...... :D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife's a vegetarian because she doesn't like meat but still eats dairy products.

I like meat and eat what I want.

I do feel that animal welfare is important and watch what I buy and where.

I never been accosted by a vegan extremist, I live in the sticks so they don't roam about here very often. I've never seen a Mormon or Jehovahs Witness either. What bliss:D:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How else are you going to get calcium? Soya milk? If it is the case of soya then it is very bad for the enivronment as the rain forests are being raped for their growth and of course money! I would ignore the more sinister ideologies.

Some people are never happy until they have converted the world or died through mal nutrition.

I am happy to be who I am which is rather difficult to describe as some days I eat nothing but vegetables and some days nothing but meat and some days I eat both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever there is a debate about Vegetarianism/Veganism or Animal Rights in general there are always the token idiots who have to make stupid comments. However, a lot of people are very informed and it is interesting to find out their views.

People who simply don't want to hear about the treatment of animals are cowards. I have no problem with informed meat eaters who know where their meat comes from and how the animals are treated, but I have no time for people who eat meat and couldn't care less where it came from.

duffystev, I am glad that you think animal welfare is important.

Some people get quite angry when they are told how animals are treated in order to provide meat, they almost resort to putting their hands over their ears. They wouldn't dream of reading an article about factory farming as ignorance is bliss.

Vegetarianism/veganism is a choice made for all sorts of reasons. I agree it is wrong to push things on others but some of the comments on here strike me as wrong as well. I signed an animal welfare petition a few weeks ago and was handed several "Go Vegan" leaflets. I read them, found them quite interesting but at the end of the day it is my choice. I wasn't really offended :)

I am not a vegan but I have looked into it and since I am a vegetarian for animal welfare reasons I did wonder about becoming vegan. I tried the alternatives but wasn't impressed, still I may try it again in the future :)
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »
    I lover meat, cant do without it. If somebody tried to tell me about the treatment of animals, I would tell them where to go.

Animals should be treated well, however in todays society that is just not going to happen, with profit being the main objective. Its a shame, but what can you do?

What annoys me about these animal rights crowd, is that they seem to care more about animals than humans, which is the biggest shame of all.

Some people have a conscience is the simple reason.

Animals are not treated well in the meat industry, people know that fully but carry on supporting it. Animal right's groups defend those who cant do it for themselves etc, there are those who are focused on Human rights as well. But each group takes time to change things, what's wrong with having lots of different groups fighting for what's right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Soapoholic wrote: »
    Vegetarianism/veganism is a choice made for all sorts of reasons.

As is meat-eating. Is it fair to judge people who chose to eat meat, while asking that vegetarians/vegans aren't judged for thier choice?