Options

Pay for Hospital Appointments

Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically, does your empolyer have a legal requirement to pay for time-out for hospital appointments, or is just down to the good-will of an empolyer?

Comments

• Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    whats your medical problem that means you have to go to hospital?
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodwill.. in the same way they dont have to pay you for being sick
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats your medical problem that means you have to go to hospital?
    What's that got to do with it?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwill, If you are on hourly and minimum wages, often they won't pay.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have a policy regarding it if they are a large employer which they will use to make things fair. I normally think it is common sense ie they will pay you if you take care to have morining or last thing appointments and not too many without explaining what the problem is.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

could be something covered under the disability discrimination act

or could be pregnancy related

or that poster mightjust be a nosy parker:D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

I think its very relevant - I am having lots of time off for doctor and hospital appointments at the moment to have investigations into infertility, I also have an appointment next week for laser eye surgery for which I will need 3 days off afterwards.

As these are things I have "chosen" to do, rather then them being the result of an illness or condition then I don't think my employer should be giving me paid time off for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oblido2007 wrote: »
    Basically, does your empolyer have a legal requirement to pay for time-out for hospital appointments, or is just down to the good-will of an empolyer?
    No, they don't have to pay you. Even if it's a disability covered by the DDA then they only have to let you go, they don't have to pay you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check with your HR peeps, but as I understand the policy where I work is -

Doctors/Dentist appt - you have enough chance to book with work in mind that you should take that as flexi/leave/working the time back depending what options are available to you.

Hospital appts are the same as they usually come with enough time that you can arrange to take flexi/leave as appropriate, although occasionally it may be possible to take Special Leave for this depending on your circumstances, if flexi or leave cannot cover it.

Cancer checks (smears etc..) usually are paid special leave, Blood donation – usually paid special leave

Operations/Hospital Appts resulting in overnight stays – usually come under your company sickness absence policy

Hospital Appts for dependants sort of the same as the above but if you can prove they need you, then chance of paid special leave.

Pregnancy as suggested – majority of Pregnancy related things are paid leave, but worth looking into that as there’s sometimes technicalities about when maternity leave starts.

Worth noting as well, there’s no legal entitlement to paid time off for unplanned, unexpected events etc..

Just thought I'd add, I'm having odd bits of time off at the moment for medical issues and taking it all as flexi leave and annual leave, including a hospital appt coming up. But, I am taking 2 days special leave to go with my Mum whilst she has an eye operation as she can't have it without somethere. So I get that paid.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I think its very relevant - I am having lots of time off for doctor and hospital appointments at the moment to have investigations into infertility, I also have an appointment next week for laser eye surgery for which I will need 3 days off afterwards.

As these are things I have "chosen" to do, rather then them being the result of an illness or condition then I don't think my employer should be giving me paid time off for them.

So you 'chose' to be infertile then? And if you are it will probably be caused by a 'condition', most peoples are.

Do you think that women shouldn't be allowed time off for pregnancy related appointments because they've 'chosen' to get pregnant or is it just a lifestyle choice if you're infertile?
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP check your employment contract because the policy is often given in there.

Some places pay you but expect you to make the time up.