Options

Well Done to Matt - 5th best selling X Factor Winner's Single ever!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure weather affected Joe's sales but not this much. With the amount of snow right now it's pretty much impossible to get out; I, as a big Matt fan, haven't yet managed to buy the physical copy as I'm snowed in :( I'm planning on getting it asap this week though.

Well done Matt :D soo happy for him. Woohoo, #1 well deserved!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of sales versus peak viewers, Matt does worse than even Leon. 19.4 million peak viewers generated 439,000 sales as opposed to 12.1 million peak viewers generating 275,000 sales.

So it is quite poor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Album sales are massive this week so I don't think the weather has put people off. Also, physical CD's wouldn't have made a huge difference anyway, as the vast majority of single sales are downloads. With better weather and good stock he would possibly still have sold slightly less than Joe.

Very much doubt it. in the three days of highest physical sales, I and many many others have been snowed in. Many probably now plan to do their Christmas shopping this week, and I'm pretty sure he'll have similar numbers if not more this week (backed up by the OCC, who said they'll probably be higher)
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    snoopy10 wrote: »
    Very much doubt it. in the three days of highest physical sales, I and many many others have been snowed in. Many probably now plan to do their Christmas shopping this week, and I'm pretty sure he'll have similar numbers if not more this week (backed up by the OCC, who said they'll probably be higher)

I think people are hugely over-estimating his possible physical sales. Also, Saturday is traditionally the biggest day for physical sales and all shops will be shut.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I and many many others have been snowed in.

But despite what the media says, the entire country hasn't ground to a stand still, as people on here have confirmed.
  • Options
    Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    I'm sure weather affected Joe's sales but not this much. With the amount of snow right now it's pretty much impossible to get out; I, as a big Matt fan, haven't yet managed to buy the physical copy as I'm snowed in :( I'm planning on getting it asap this week though.

Well done Matt :D soo happy for him. Woohoo, #1 well deserved!

The weather was pretty poor last year in many areas in the run up to Christmas but blaming the weather these days is nullified by the prevalence of downloads in the singles market.

Have you downloaded the single?

Downloads are considerably less prevalent for albums but albums sales haven't been dented by the weather.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    The weather can also affect how much stock is delivered to stores.

The insiders seem to think Matt has done incredibly well, so I think I'll celebrate with them and keep out of the bitter barn thanks all the same. ;)
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to download. I am going to buy the CD. There is more on it apparantly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    I think people are hugely over-estimating his possible physical sales. Also, Saturday is traditionally the biggest day for physical sales and all shops will be shut.

I agree.

Putting the three performances as bonuses on the single was a good idea but the reality is that anyone who wanted them would already more than likely have downloaded them that week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I'm not going to download. I am going to buy the CD. There is more on it apparantly :)

As I said above, only performances that have been available on itunes for weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said above, only performances that have been available on itunes for weeks.

I still like to get more for my money. Also if I really like an artist I prefer the phsical CD. Matt's first will be partly as a momento of the time spent supporting him :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The weather can also affect how much stock is delivered to stores.

The insiders seem to think Matt has done incredibly well, so I think I'll celebrate with them and keep out of the bitter barn thanks all the same. ;)

Some are blaming not being able to get to the shops.

Some are saying there was insufficient stock.

So insufficient stock has been delivered to stores where people can't get to to buy it anyway? How does that work?

Of course "insiders" are going to say they're happy. They said the same with Leon, and with Joe last year and even with Steve (given the much lower viewing figures then) they were saying that not getting to Christmas #1 didn't matter because sales figures were OK. How soon did that attitude change?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I still like to get more for my money.

All four tracks can be downloaded for considerably less than the cost of the CD. I think you may find this is the option that most of the purchasers will have taken.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    colnechris wrote: »
    1. Shayne Ward – 742,180

Who is this person?

Australian cricketer I think, just split from Liz Hurley.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

Exactly. This is the third year running we have had this sort of weather in the run-up to Christmas.

It didn't stop Alexandra breaking download records two years ago. Not to mention that Matt had an extra couple of hours' downloading time as it was made available straight away rather than at midnight.

Is it? I dont remember anyone being snowed in, the weekend before christmas in London- last year or the year before. There was snow, yes but not to the degree that people couldnt go shopping or that shops were forced to close
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    And here's a nice message from the Official Charts Company too (much more credible than your posts! :))

Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot says, "Congratulations to Matt Cardle on scoring this year's Christmas Number One. To sell 439,000 copies of When We Collide in just six days is a truly impressive achievement.

I'm sorry but is it just me who is baffled by statements like this? It is NOT impressive when a single sells considerably well off the back of the biggest TV show in the country with an audience of over 15 million viewers.:confused:

Congrats to Matt and everything and I am glad he got the No.1 but statements like this make me so angry simply because they're not true. Nobody expected it not to do well simply because of X Factor so it is most definitely not a "truly impressive achievement".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All four tracks can be downloaded for considerably less than the cost of the CD. I think you may find this is the option that most of the purchasers will have taken.

The cost was a not very serious throw away comment. I like the idea of having them all on a CD and want the packaging etc. I would really love a signed one and it is hard to get a download signed :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - congratulations, Matt! Maybe this time next year you'll still be doing almost as well as Joe did!
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Some are blaming not being able to get to the shops.

Some are saying there was insufficient stock.

So insufficient stock has been delivered to stores where people can't get to to buy it anyway? How does that work?

Of course "insiders" are going to say they're happy. They said the same with Leon, and with Joe last year and even with Steve (given the much lower viewing figures then) they were saying that not getting to Christmas #1 didn't matter because sales figures were OK. How soon did that attitude change?

Well certainly not as soon as when they hit the number 1 spot. lol
  • Options
    BlueMoodBlueMood Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but is it just me who is baffled by statements like this? It is NOT impressive when a single sells considerably well off the back of the biggest TV show in the country with an audience of over 15 million viewers.:confused:

There were almost 20 million viewers for the final alone. 15 million was the voting total for the whole series (which is poor enough considering the huge rise in viewers).

The OCC guy has been spouting tripe about Matt's sales all week from the moment it became obvious that the first 26 hours' downloads weren't spectacular.
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    this single means nothing. whether it could sell a million and what would that mean?? x factor is still very fresh and gets seen by millions upon millions of people. and ofcourse the great british sheep will lap it up.
    its next year which will show whether matt will be a success or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    To be fair it's hardly an accurate reflection of how well he'll do in the future. Shayne is above Leona and Alexandra who have had way more success than him. Not to mention the weather conditions and it's virtually sold out everywhere I try to buy it - still haven't got it despite looking in many shops. Lots of people will buy it this week like myself for an Xmas present for family and friends.

agree.
  • Options
    LindaSLindaS Posts: 257
    Forum Member

You can't wrap downloads though and put them under the Christmas tree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LindaS wrote: »
    You can't wrap downloads though and put them under the Christmas tree.

.. and a download doesn't jump out at you when idoling browsing for pressies in the way a CD, especially a CD with a bit of signposting in the store would,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueMood wrote: »
    There were almost 20 million viewers for the final alone. 15 million was the voting total for the whole series (which is poor enough considering the huge rise in viewers).

The OCC guy has been spouting tripe about Matt's sales all week from the moment it became obvious that the first 26 hours' downloads weren't spectacular.

CHRIST, cant you just be happy for him no matter how much he did or did not sell, bah humbug:mad: