Wakefield Prison: Inmates set to receive luxury festive feast

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since my boyfriend lost his job we have been living on one income, which has been going too more important things...and after its worked out, if we can afford stuff like that then yes we would get it, but if we can't then we are willing too go without, which we did and which we have been doing.

But that has NOTHING to do with the the prisoners we are discussing. In any case, you had Christmas lunch with friends so you didn't miss out.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    £26!?? Just for one part of the meal!? :eek:

Thats enough too buy £1 meals for nearly a month! Why would you spend that much on just one part of a meal for one meal?

As other posters have pointed out it is for 15 meals not 1 meal. Why would I do it - because I can afford to. How many people does you £1.00 meal feed. Would that include all the extras i.e potaoes, other veg gravy, sauces?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that has NOTHING to do with the the prisoners we are discussing. In any case, you had Christmas lunch with friends so you didn't miss out.

I had too bring that up because certain people weren't getting the point I was trying too get across which was SOME people can't afford luxuries like that...which takes me back too my (looong dragged out by people) original post of some hard working decent people can't even afford a quarter of what the prisoners get and they get it handed to them on a plate...or something along those lines I can't be bothered going back through all the posts...just too in the end be told I'm basically talking rubbish and that my opinions don't matter...just because certain people think they know better and that only their opinions and thoughts matter, so they have too pick holes in everyone elses and drown out everyone elses opinions...whats the point? :confused: its meant too be a discussion thread not a "I know better than you so shut up" thread...Thats the vibe I'm getting here anyway...especially after being called a "Troll" and a wind up merchant, just because I was trying too make you understand what I was trying too say :confused::(
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which was SOME people can't afford luxuries like that.
    And in trying to make that point you had to manipulate other people's posts to make it appear that they were paying exorbitant sums on a single component of a single meal, and it took many, many, posts before you actually admitted that this cost was only 70p per portion.

So if your point is having to rely on mistruths, it's not a very strong point, is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had too bring that up because certain people weren't getting the point I was trying too get across which was SOME people can't afford luxuries like that...

But when people try to explain how cheap a roast dinner can be (much cheaper than many microwave meals) you just don't want to know. It appears that you have very little interest in anything anyone else has to say and when you do quote people you do it in such a way that it fits your roast = luxury I can't afford agenda.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    which takes me back too my (looong dragged out by people) original post of some hard working decent people can't even afford a quarter of what the prisoners get

So back onto the same point continually debunked over the past several pages.,. we have now established that working people (hard working as well... not even swinging the lead workers) can't afford this simple annual meal... It's getting nonsensical now.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    No I said it in one post :confused:
    Why not mention it earlier, like in one of these posts? Then perhaps people wouldn't have gone on at you and made you feel ganged up on.
    Some microwaveable meals can be be cheap . All I'm saying is they shouldn't even get a quarter of what they are getting, when, like I said, hard working people like myself couldn't even afford a christmas dinner or any luxuries this year, yet the likes of rapists and murderers get it handed to them on a plate (literally).
    Too alot of people £7 is too important just[/l] too spend it on one item, when that could probably feed them for a week (on £1 or less meals), or top up the electricity/gas for example. So they have too go without luxuries like fresh joints of meat etc.

Its not fair, but thats life for some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Its not though is it?...its one payment of around £7 maybe more...and like I said, more important things come first for some people and luxuries such as that have too come second.

Heating through the winter/electricity...or one piece of meat??...Hmm I know which I'd choose...

£2 for a chicken from Tesco, a pound or two for some veg. That produces enough to feed four, and enough chicken left over to make a curry the next day and sandwiches too. If, like me, a person is on their own then that chicken can make enough meals for a week.

I do it myself and, living on JSA, I am hardly flush.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly thank you. Since my boyfriend lost his job we have been living on one income, which has been going too more important things...and after its worked out, if we can afford stuff like that then yes we would get it, but if we can't then we are willing too go without, which we did and which we have been doing.

sure - but given that the £7 piece of meat provided enough for ten meals, can you say why it is you have repeatedly referred to it being "one part of one meal"?

you might think a meal for one person is the same as a meal for ten people, but you'd be in a minority there.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, lets just say that everyone can afford a roast every weekend, everytime they fancy it every christmas...hell, why not everyday???...Hmm yeah seems that everyone can....according too this thread anyway?? Wow, everyone might aswell just go out and buy all the stuff they need tomorrow...oh, why not tonight? :D...Because everyone suddenly can, and probably always have been able too, because people in this thread know more about what everyone else can and can't afford than they do, amazing...:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Put it this way...If I could afford too have a roast when I want too...would I be making these points that not everyone can?? Wouldn't I be saying the same things as you lot?
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Why not mention it earlier, like in one of these posts? Then perhaps people wouldn't have gone on at you and made you feel ganged up on.

Another one who feels people are ganging up on them just because a number of people disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

That first post you quoted was actually about the threads topic so I didn't need too even mention it...and the 2nd quote I think I've made it quite clear to be honest.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, lets just say that everyone can afford a roast every weekend, everytime they fancy it every christmas...hell, why not everyday???

Yes, now that your twisting of other's posts has failed to support your point, let's swing to an extreme in a bit of an E-Strop, eh? :D
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, lets just say that everyone can afford a roast every weekend, everytime they fancy it every christmas...hell, why not everyday???...Hmm yeah seems that everyone can....according too this thread anyway?? Wow, everyone might aswell just go out and buy all the stuff I need tomorrow...oh, why not tonight? :D...Because everyone suddenly can, and probably always have been able too, because people in this thread know more about what everyone else can and can't afford than I do, amazing...:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Put it this way...If I could afford too have a roast when I want too...would I be making these points that not everyone can?? Wouldn't I be saying the same things as you lot?

no-one has said anything about having a roast dinner every day, until now.

its a total strawman.

except, ironically, a roast dinner, made from fresh ingredients, is one of the most economical, nutricious meals you can buy.

£10 should be more than enough to get a chicken and veg for 4-6 people.

Iain
    Forum Member
    Ok, lets just say that everyone can afford a roast every weekend, everytime they fancy it every christmas...hell, why not everyday???...Hmm yeah seems that everyone can....according too this thread anyway?? Wow, everyone might aswell just go out and buy all the stuff I need tomorrow...oh, why not tonight? :D...Because everyone suddenly can, and probably always have been able too, because people in this thread know more about what everyone else can and can't afford than I do, amazing...:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sorry if you cannot afford a roast now and again, all I said was I can because a chicken is only £2. If I really wanted to I could do roast chicken every Sunday, but I'm not a huge fan of the roast dinner so I don't.

I don't see how £2 a week for a chicken is a luxury item these days, given it can feed a family of four. Maybe a tenner or more for some quality beef is excessive every week, but there are much cheaper cuts of beef that can also feed a family for 3 or 4 pounds.

Who on earth mentioned a roast dinner every day anyone?. No one but you, just now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had never ruddy mentioned that £7 pork joint (which fed 10 people). BTW it was VERY nice.

I have just been on the Iceland and Tescos sites and worked out I could do a very nice roast dinner for £2.25 to £2.50 a head. Failing that I really like the Bird's Eye roast dinners that are £4 for two at Tescos right now.
    Forum Member
    I wish I had never ruddy mentioned that £7 pork joint (which fed 10 people). BTW it was VERY nice.

I have just been on the Iceland and Tescos sites and worked out I could do a very nice roast dinner for £2.25 to £2.50 a head. Failing that I really like the Bird's Eye roast dinners that are £4 for two at Tescos right now.

I like those dinners too, but you never get enough :(
    Forum Member
    I like those dinners too, but you never get enough :(

I agree thats why it is actually more economic making the meal from scratch unless you have a very small appetite
    Forum Member
    Anyone in any form of employment that can be described as hard working can certainly afford a Christmas dinner unless they are massively in debt and haven't arranged sensible and affordable repayments.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everybody is not saying that you have to be able to afford a roast dinner everyday, are they.

You still haven't explained why you can not afford to spend one pound twenty on a meal? What do you eat and how much does it cost you?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    That first post you quoted was actually about the threads topic so I didn't need too even mention it...and the 2nd quote I think I've made it quite clear to be honest.
    No, I don't think you did, otherwise people would have kept going on about it.

Anyway, you've explained now so that's that.
    Ok, lets just say that everyone can afford a roast every weekend, everytime they fancy it every christmas...hell, why not everyday???...Hmm yeah seems that everyone can....according too this thread anyway?? Wow, everyone might aswell just go out and buy all the stuff they need tomorrow...oh, why not tonight? :D...Because everyone suddenly can, and probably always have been able too, because people in this thread know more about what everyone else can and can't afford than they do, amazing...:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you're going a bit over the top now!

A roast dinner is not expensive. A chunk of meat and a few veg is all it is. And you can make the piece of meat last two days, thereby reducing costs for the next day's meal.

I don't have a huge budget as I am not working and I am a single mum and two weeks before Christmas I had to spend two hundred quid on dental treatment and next week I have to spend four hundred quid on dental treatment.

But I can still afford a roast dinner once a month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you NEED to buy for a roast dinner is the meat, which if you shop around, you can get a decent piece for a piece suitable for a whole family. Hardly what I'd call expensive. And as Jane Doh! said, it can be re-used several times.
    Forum Member
    ben_122 wrote: »
    The only thing you NEED to buy for a roast dinner is the meat, which if you shop around, you can get a decent piece for a piece suitable for a whole family. Hardly what I'd call expensive. And as Jane Doh! said, it can be re-used several times.

:D:D The mind boggles as regards 'reusing' it. I
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Anyone in any form of employment that can be described as hard working can certainly afford a Christmas dinner unless they are massively in debt and haven't arranged sensible and affordable repayments.

That's not entirely true- I'm hardworking and in regular employment, but on a wage that doesn't even cover my rent, so I'm not a whole lot better off than I was on JSA.

That said, I had a cheapo roast dinner for under 4 quid- nut roast, stuffing and gravy for about £1.80, a dish of roasting veg for a quid, and another quid for new potatoes. Would have been cheaper if I'd bought the veg fresh and chopped 'em myself, but hey, I was having a couple of days off from being hard-working and felt I could allow myself the odd moment of laziness.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    That's not entirely true- I'm hardworking and in regular employment, but on a wage that doesn't even cover my rent, so I'm not a whole lot better off than I was on JSA.

That said, I had a cheapo roast dinner for under 4 quid- nut roast, stuffing and gravy for about £1.80, a dish of roasting veg for a quid, and another quid for new potatoes. Would have been cheaper if I'd bought the veg fresh and chopped 'em myself, but hey, I was having a couple of days off from being hard-working and felt I could allow myself the odd moment of laziness.

A pizza and a kebab would have been more expensive...

...which prisoners can't get either funnily enough.