Options

Top of The Pops Christmas Day 2pm on BBC One HD

13»

Comments

• Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does my little head in. First saw it on a Channel 4 thing so I'm not surprised the BBC copied it. Everyone standing around the presenters clapping so that you can hardly hear what's being said. Why? What is the flipping point? Unsurprisingly a US import I believe. With this and 'artistic' mumbling by actors I take it tv execs are working towards us not being able to make out anything anyone on screen says.

You say that like it's a new thing. Just look at any edition of Top of the Pops from the 1980s and you'll see the same thing.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that like it's a new thing. Just look at any edition of Top of the Pops from the 1980s and you'll see the same thing.
    It was more overlapping cheers and applause from the act that just ended or was about to start rather than deliberate cheering and clapping as a background to whenever the presenter is speaking. I've just had a squint at old TOTP on You Tube and can't see anything similar.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    We were told to clap loudly to start, then dip down during the link, then raise the roof when they announced the act when we were in the studio