Working night shift any tips?

miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
Forum Member
✭✭
I am starting a new job where I will be working 7 nights (11pm to 7am) on 7 nights off. I have never worked a night shift before (tough times call for tough decisions!!). It is as office type desk job, so mostly sitting down. I am a night owl so not too worried about being up until about 3am, but worrying about sleeping in the daytime. I think as I will get home at about after 9am, that I will try to sleep from 12pm till about 7pm, then get ready, have dinner and leave for work at 9.30pm. Any tips on what I should eat at work and how to cope?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stare into bright lights to help lower melatonin levels which makes you feel sleepy :p
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invest in a blackout blind and/or really thick curtains as soon as you can to make sure that your room is as dark as possible for you to get off to sleep. Avoid caffeinated drinks in the latter half of your shift, as they will keep you awake when you get home.

As for foods, I suppose that depends on what facilities are available to you at your workplace?

Also, when you are on your 7 days off, try not to break your sleeping habits unless you really need to - its much easier to keep your sleep hours pretty much the same throughout, whether you are at work or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a couple of stints on nights as a student nurse. We used to find that 3 and 4 am is the worst time for keeping awake. Before and after that it was fine. On my last night on before nights off I'd come home and not sleep so that I was back in the routine of sleeping at night on my time off. I can't imagine doing 7 nights on in a row, that seems unreasonable but the 7 nights off will be good.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice!. The office has vending machine and microwave, but I will be taking in my own food. This time tomorrow i will be at work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone will cope with them differently. I liked them.

I used to try an move the clock forward. Get home at 8.15am and do things that would normally be done in the evening. Bed at about midday and sleep till 7pm. Have a meal and relax till work time.

It should be easier for you doing 7 in a stretch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice!. The office has vending machine and microwave, but I will be taking in my own food. This time tomorrow i will be at work!

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    my husband works night shift mon to thurs every week, he worked overtime (dayshift today and yesterday), I'll ask him for tips when he wakes up :)
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To help shift your body clock tell it you are going to work at 11:00 and not 23:00.
    Then do the usual things you would do at those times like doing the washing etc.
    It's about routine as your body works best when it knows whats coming and when.
    Once you're into the routine you'll hardly notice it at all.

I do agree with the above about black out curtains as the body reacts well to darkness.
    As for food, eat the same as you would if it was daytime, and keep some sugary stuff for about 03:00 when you need a boost to get you over the tiredness hill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So have 'breakfast' before go to work?. I was going to try to keep my meals times at the same time,i.e breakfast when I come back from work and dinner before I go to work.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    I used to do 7pm to 7am but only for two nights. Though it followed 2 x 12 hour days previously so by the time I had finished the first night, it wasn't long before I was giving it the z's. I would wake up around 1-2 pm then get on with my day. Everyone is different but listen to your body and if you feel you need to kip before 12 then just just do it. You will soon get into a pattern but you will have good and bad days/nights.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dIid nights for 10 years.i liked it but couldnt sleep properly during the day.
    If your a light sleeper or cant get used to sleeping during the day then you will struggle.
    All depends how quiet your home is during the day.(in and outside).
    I used to eat normally during the day though.
    Made the mistake initially though of eating both day and night:o
    and piled on the pounds(eating during all 3 breaks at night including a pig out on fridays especially when my mate found a way of getting free stuff out of the vending machine:p)
    But in time you will see whether it suits you.At least you have a whole week off though after:cool:

Good luck:)
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep busy! It will make the time go faster. Try not to drink too much coffee near the end of your shift.
    When you get home, you will need an hour or two to wind down. Invest in some good ear plugs and maybe an eye mask to keep out the light.
    It will take a while to get used to it so don't be too hard on yourself if you are really exhuasted in the first couple of weeks.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be worth getting one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyclock-Sunray-Sunrise-Natural-symptoms/dp/B000WE57X4

To help you with waking up in the evening?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its down to finding your own best fit method.

i do the opposite of what alot of people do - i eat my meals during the day at normal(ish) hours, i dont eat during the night, i sleep as soon as i get home (around 8am) till about 1300/1400 and then i spend the afternoon catching up on doing whatever needs doing at home.

you might flag a bit during the middle of the night, if i do i take a break and go wander round for a while which usually sorts me - the last couple of hours are busy anyway so its just the "middle" hour or so...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice! :)

I am thinking of in time getting a lumie body clock, I have eyemasks and ear plugs already. Apart from adjusting to the sleeping pattern, I am worried about putting on weight while working night. I have already put on a bit of weight this year and dont want to put on any more!
    Forum Member
    On the subject of food if you are doing 11-7 then you should be okay as far scoffing goes. No harm in having a small sandwich just in case you do get the munchies but in general you should be able to last the night if you had a evening meal beforehand at home. Then have some breakfast when you get in if you want. Drink water too during the shift and go easy on the tea and coffee. The 12 hour shifts were a bugger for the take away at 11pm so you should be okay in that respect.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invest in a blackout blind and/or really thick curtains as soon as you can to make sure that your room is as dark as possible for you to get off to sleep. Avoid caffeinated drinks in the latter half of your shift, as they will keep you awake when you get home.

As for foods, I suppose that depends on what facilities are available to you at your workplace?

Also, when you are on your 7 days off, try not to break your sleeping habits unless you really need to - its much easier to keep your sleep hours pretty much the same throughout, whether you are at work or not.

^^^ This, all of this! Blackout curtains are essential; I don't have them and really suffered when I was doing nights - after a stretch of 4 with only a few hours sleep every day I was a bit loopy. The earplugs are a great idea too (after my first ever night shift the council decided to dig up the pavement outside my bedroom window. Unimpressed!)

I'd also agree with re-adjusting your internal clock completely, so that 11am = 11pm. Eat your breakfast at 8pm, lunch at 1am, dinner when you get home, etc - normal meals fool your body clock into re-aligning itself.

But of course there's a bit of trial and error involved too - find what works for you, and go with it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been called to say my night shift will start tomorrow now as they are having IT problems! Can't afford blackout curtains at the moment so will have to use eye mask. Still waiting for last payment from JSA.
    Forum Member
    The thing is will you really want a full on dinner for 'breakfast and corn flakes for dinner? The body clock thing seems a bit OTT to me. I just had some cereal when I finished the nights, went to sleep, had a bit of lunch if I felt like it then some dinner before starting the nights and so on. I had some sandwiches with me just in case I got peckish during the shift. There is no way I could stay up till midday after doing a 12 hour night shift so the food thing was never a problem as far fooling the body went. That's just me though. It will take a few weeks to see what works best for the OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    a few cans of your chosen beer usually does the trick after the night shift , you may be surprised how many people do it ;)
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a few cans of your chosen beer usually does the trick after the night shift , you may be surprised how many people do it ;)
    I have often found that Night Nurse has the same effect.
  • ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice! :)

I am thinking of in time getting a lumie body clock,...

Is that one of the light alarms? If so, I've got something similar which is pretty good, much better than a loud alarm!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    7 on 7 off sounds awesome... only doesn't that mean you're only working 50% of the year?

I have no advice :o My body clock messes up with just a slight adjustment let alone a complete reverse of the day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7 on 7 off sounds awesome... only doesn't that mean you're only working 50% of the year?

I have no advice :o My body clock messes up with just a slight adjustment let alone a complete reverse of the day!

Yep 14 days holiday a year
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one really don't do it! lol :D