Options

Richest people in telly

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Are there people in the industry out there that you didn't realise were at the top of the money list?

I was watching the Spy Behind the Scenes special when Jimmy Mulville popped up. Haven't seen him on telly for years so did a quick search and apparent;y his net worth is £50m due to Hat Trick.

I only found out last year how much Griff Rhys Jones was worth after selling Talkback.

Any others in the background?

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are there people in the industry out there that you didn't realise were at the top of the money list?

I was watching the Spy Behind the Scenes special when Jimmy Mulville popped up. Haven't seen him on telly for years so did a quick search and apparent;y his net worth is £50m due to Hat Trick.

I only found out last year how much Griff Rhys Jones was worth after selling Talkback.

Jasper Carrot. Sold interest in celador for over £10m.

Obvious one is Chris Evans, who sold ginger media group for over £200m:eek:
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirsty Wark
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Gary Lineker one of the highest paid at the BBC? Something like 2m per year
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Sugar?
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell, Chris Evans, Alan Sugar and Anne Robinson must be the richest. Probably in that order.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Isn't Gary Lineker one of the highest paid at the BBC? Something like 2m per year

I think he gets some of that from the BBC and some of that from presenting football on Al Jazeera.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Neil isn't short of a few bob.
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read the company that owns the Top Gear franchise is worth over £50m and Clarkson owned a big chunk of it at one point. So his sell off (coupled with his annual wage) will put him up there too somewhere.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically loads of founders of independent production companies who, over the past 7 years or so have sold those companies. Alex Graham (Wall To Wall) sold for £20m, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone made £20m between them from selling Kudos to Shine, all the execs at Shed made a fortune, some of them up to 8 figures, when it went to Warner Bros for £100m.

Peter Fincham had made his millions in the sale of Talkback long before he got to BBC1.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Neil Buchanan (Art Attack)

Maybe not nowadays but I was amazed to read when I was a kid that he sold his producton company for millions
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any BBC executive who has been made redundant recently - Mark Byford walked away with nearly a million pounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Lord Sugar?
    Most of that was before his tv stint though.
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Simon Cowell, Chris Evans, Alan Sugar and Anne Robinson must be the richest. Probably in that order.
    C14E wrote: »
    Basically loads of founders of independent production companies who, over the past 7 years or so have sold those companies. Alex Graham (Wall To Wall) sold for £20m, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone made £20m between them from selling Kudos to Shine, all the execs at Shed made a fortune, some of them up to 8 figures, when it went to Warner Bros for £100m.

Peter Fincham had made his millions in the sale of Talkback long before he got to BBC1.
    ^ this is what I was getting at really.
    The people that you don't really hear about or know that behind the scenes their companies are making them millions.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queen gets her own TV programme every Christmas, plus countless specials (this year in particular), and she makes an absolute fortune!
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only found out last year how much Griff Rhys Jones was worth after selling Talkback

Since he doesn't need to work, perhaps he can stop making godawful programmes like It'll Be Alright On The Night where he spent more time waffling on than they did showing clips, and when they showed clips, only 1 made me laugh (the Aussie one, I think, about 'sucking off')
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise until the other day that Jack Dee was founder and co-owner of Open Mike Productions, although i'm not sure how much he earns from it.. They seem like a successful company though.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Tarrant has done very well.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Geldof did fairly well out of Planet 24 and Ten Alps.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton's So Television company was sold to ITV for £17m
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise until the other day that Jack Dee was founder and co-owner of Open Mike Productions, although i'm not sure how much he earns from it.. They seem like a successful company though.

He took £3m out in 2013 alone.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    It will be owners of TV production companies that make the good money - especially if it sells around the World.

There was a programme on SKY ARTS about Jerry Lewis, when he and Dean Martin split he had a multi picture deal, the first one being a Xmas film.
    Paramount wanted to release a film quickly, so needed another one made quckly, so he made "The Bellboy" in a couple of weeks, shot in the hotel he was performing at in the evenings, mostly silent movie.
    Paramount hated it, so refused to pay the costs, so Jerry Lewis personally owned all the negatives (which is very rare), he stated the movie had made him over $300 million over the years.
    He got ALL the box office takings instead of being paid a %, and it was a huge hit all round the World as it was a silent film.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the late 1950s Lucille Ball was a huge star for CBS. The network wanted her to move from LA to New York to make her sitcom I Love Lucy. She didn't want to move and suggested her company Desilu would meet the costs of filming the programme (there was no videotape in those days) in return for keeping the syndication rights. CBS readily agreed and she quickly became a multi millionairess as no-one else had thought of the potential of syndication.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US TV personalities are handsomely paid such as Donald Trump, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian.