Options

How much Gigabyte usage does the average person need?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Im on the old AOL Gold package, I have no clue what my usage limit is as its not part of the new plans.

I will soon need to be downloading a 3GB file, im a bit concerned on how AOL will take it

It'll take it fine. Don't worry ;) I'm on AOL Gold (or maybe even Silver) and I've never been capped. In fact, yesterday I uploaded 2gb and downloaded 3gb, and my net speed actually went UP! Both my upload speed and download speed doubled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx5 wrote: »
    I have read the terms and conditions of the bt fair usage policy. It states the if you are downloading in the peak times, I'm guessing somewhere between 5pm and 10pm, your speed will slow down, and then probably after this, your speed will get faster. I'm not that bothered anyway, because I'm not exactly a very heavy user, unlike some other people have been in this thread. I will have downloaded about 65-70GB, I think, so this is good enough for me. Can't find anything in the terms and conditions that state that you don't have an unlimited usage. It's pretty stupid and false to claim that the service you are selling to customers isn't unlimited when you are claiming that it is.

Just making sure you were aware, a lot of folk have been miffed when their connection slows during peak times, or when it get's capped permenantly for breaking the FUP. Your original post sounded like you might be a heavy user but 65-70Gb I guess is still under the radar (I'm averaging about 60+, and haven't had any problems).

Cheers
    Alun
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airprox wrote: »
    Just making sure you were aware, a lot of folk have been miffed when their connection slows during peak times, or when it get's capped permenantly for breaking the FUP. Your original post sounded like you might be a heavy user but 65-70Gb I guess is still under the radar (I'm averaging about 60+, and haven't had any problems).

Cheers
    Alun

Yeah, I think about even 80GB a month would be MORE than enough for me. I don't usually download at peak times anyway, because they do state in their 'fair usage policy' that this will happen. I don't really mind them doing this, I mean, it's only fair to other users. But, just so long as they don't interfere with the network overnight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    pault2006 wrote: »
    250GB in 2 months? :eek:

What on earth have you been downloading?

:D

You know that really isn't that hard to do. I haven't watched an actual TV for nearly two years as everything I want to watch is available for me to download and watch when I want and where I want. This means I can watch British, American and Australian TV shows that would otherwise be unavailable to me for various reasons.
  • Options
    jackulatorjackulator Posts: 7,209
    Forum Member
    theres actually no such thing as an unlimmited account fair usage policy usually kicks in ,which raises the question of capped accounts - why the need for them at all and why sell unlimmited accounts when you could be caught under fair usage and the brakes applied to you with a say 3gig capped users speed untouched cause they are under the 3 gig limmit
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had BT on the phone becuase I have downloaded over 250GB in th last 2 months.

And I have downloaded 10GB in the last 7 days.

200GB + is probably a normal month for me

10GB could just be a day's usage sometimes

Must admit I'm a heavy downloader using various services and a pay £40 a month for the priviledge of being able to do so.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackulator wrote: »
    theres actually no such thing as an unlimmited account fair usage policy usually kicks in ,which raises the question of capped accounts - why the need for them at all and why sell unlimmited accounts when you could be caught under fair usage and the brakes applied to you with a say 3gig capped users speed untouched cause they are under the 3 gig limmit

Yes there is if you can find the right ISP and are willing to pay extra for the privilegde. TBH what do expect for under £20?

I must say that OFCOM nor The Advertising Standards Authority have the balls to do anything about the blatent misselling of broadband by most of the major companies.
  • Options
    nemitynemity Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    200GB + is probably a normal month for me

10GB could just be a day's usage sometimes

Must admit I'm a heavy downloader using various services and a pay £40 a month for the priviledge of being able to do so.

I'm a bit of a download hoare too. Since September 2007 I've downloaded 491GB, which is about 122GB a month. I also pay £40 to get this, although that does include my telephone line rental (Not BT) and calls too. My line is just short of 11MBit