Options

Asus EEE Pad Transformer anyone buying one?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a # # Three Mifi modem with a PAYG sim when travelling in the UK. It works very well with a download speed of between # three and five Mbps. Far better than tethering my phone.

Apologies for the hashes, they appear when I t type the number three for some reason.

I'm typing this on the Transformer btw.

Have you got your keyboard settings set to US? Double check language/location settings.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a # # Three Mifi modem with a PAYG sim when travelling in the UK. It works very well with a download speed of between # three and five Mbps. Far better than tethering my phone.

Apologies for the hashes, they appear when I t type the number three for some reason.

I'm typing this on the Transformer btw.

Thank you very much for that information, looks like I will be saving for the Transformer then :D.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Have you got your keyboard settings set to US? Double check language/location settings.

No it's set to the UK.Although I'm currently in South Africa.

Seems ok now just a glitch I suppose.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Microsoft knew that Google Docs was arriving with full editing for Android. The timing of their anti-docs adv was certainly interesting.

I've not tried the new Google Docs yet but it does sound like it sends the Transformer series into a more proper PC mode.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android 4.0 is out for the ASUS Transformer today!
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    My TF101 tablet has just finished downloading it.
    Now running 4.0.3

Layout seems better now I just have to get used to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a lot smoother and faster. I prefer the look of Android 4.0 already - it's a lot more professional looking.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Hopefully it won't take to long for them to get the music working.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Just noticed a dead pixel on mine. Only had it for a few days. :(

Should I return it or just learn to live with it? I think it wouldn't be so bad if it was in the corner of the screen or something, but it's quite far in.

Hi Dannc, Sorry to hear you;ve got a "dead pixel". You'd think that by this stage of the game they either would have near-perfect manufacturing techniques OR better quality control to catch these things, or maybe a way to get the screen to "mask" these errors.

I read once that for LCD TVs, there can be at most THREE (!) dead pixels and the store could still claim that the TV is okay. Maybe TVs are different because people watch TV froma distance, and the dead pixels must fade from conscious view. But I get what you're saying about laptop/tablet screens, it must be phenomenally annoying.

Can you not return it? I thought that PCs, etc., could be returned withing 30 days, yes? Is that not the case for the place whence you bought your device? Curious. John V. Karavitis
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I updated my original Transformer to ICS on Friday. First impressions were very good - it looks much the same as Honeycomb but with many visible improvements.

Then, about 30 minutes later my Transformer restarted itself. Odd, I thought. Then another 30 mins later it restarted itself again.... and so on. On top of this, yesterday the Girlfriend was complaining that she couldn't type properly (she'd hit the space key and it would just continue to add spaces on its own until you hit another key), also simple stuff like scrolling through menus or even entering the unlock pattern was literally impossible because the tablet was so laggy and unresponsive. Not good.

In the end I decided to do a full factory reset. After which the Transformer and Girlfriend appear to be much happier - I can now enjoy ICS properly :) So, it's worth noting that if you do update to ICS you may also need to do a full factory reset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    I updated my original Transformer to ICS on Friday. First impressions were very good - it looks much the same as Honeycomb but with many visible improvements.

Then, about 30 minutes later my Transformer restarted itself. Odd, I thought. Then another 30 mins later it restarted itself again.... and so on. On top of this, yesterday the Girlfriend was complaining that she couldn't type properly (she'd hit the space key and it would just continue to add spaces on its own until you hit another key), also simple stuff like scrolling through menus or even entering the unlock pattern was literally impossible because the tablet was so laggy and unresponsive. Not good.

In the end I decided to do a full factory reset. After which the Transformer and Girlfriend appear to be much happier - I can now enjoy ICS properly :) So, it's worth noting that if you do update to ICS you may also need to do a full factory reset.
    I noticed that mine was crashing when you left it shut. Then, I noticed that when you click "Ctrl + C", it takes a backspace before typing C.

Also, Google still hasn't worked out that "UK Keyboard" means UK! I want my £ back, and my @ and " to be in the right place.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got one today! It looks seriously nice, haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I noticed that mine was crashing when you left it shut. Then, I noticed that when you click "Ctrl + C", it takes a backspace before typing C.

Also, Google still hasn't worked out that "UK Keyboard" means UK! I want my £ back, and my @ and " to be in the right place.

I cant remember exactly (my TF is at home) but I think there was a SEPARATE setting for the hardware keyboard to set it to UK .... i'll try and have a nosey tonight.