Options

Has the old style of TV presenting disappeared?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
I was enjoying an episode of classic Stars in Their Eyes on Challenge, hosted by Leslie Crowther recently. It amazed me about his presentation style. He was this commanding figure who sounded like he was announcing an act in a theatre, rather than on television. I've seen this style of presenting on old TOTPs and the like, and wondered if this form of presenting is vanishing, and maybe become old fashioned. I think the last person we have that has that old theatre/radio style is Brucie believe it or not.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I prefer the old fashioned tv presenting but I don't think you see much of it on tv anymore. A tv presenter to me is quite important as I can easily stop watching a show just because I find the presenter irritating. I think over the last decade it has changed a lot because a lot of presenters on tv now are former singers, models, actors and so on. TV shows seem to just want a 'name' rather then a person who is actually talented at tv presenting.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I prefer the old style too. It's a shame that it's obviously one of those things resigned to the past. I can't I bear the faux "matey" or "cheeky chappy" style which has become the norm. It's so fake and obnoxious.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer the old-style presenters. The modern lot, mostly pretty boys and former singers, insist on shouting when they introduce acts and have this habit of resorting to schoolboy, childish humour.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I much prefer the old-style presenters. The modern lot, mostly pretty boys and former singers, insist on shouting when they introduce acts and have this habit of resorting to schoolboy, childish humour.

Totally agree with this
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    I blame Davina McCall, with her false full on 'embrace' and instant we've been friends for years type approach.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    I blame Davina McCall, with her false full on 'embrace' and instant we've been friends for years type approach.

I remember someone once dubbing Davina as "the grandmother of chavs"...rarely has such an apt title been bestowed on a TV presenter. :D

Add me to the voices in this thread who can't stand the current "shouty" style. :mad:
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    I remember someone once dubbing Davina as "the grandmother of chavs"...rarely has such an apt title been bestowed on a TV presenter. :D

Add me to the voices in this thread who can't stand the current "shouty" style. :mad:

..To be fair to Davina she was a privately educated Girl so she hardly got time to rub shoulders with common folk as a child, I think she is fully aware of the type of retards she has had to deal with over the years but she is equally aware of just how much she earns from it.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I think what we're all missing is the 50 year old presenter and the 23 year old blonde assistant who liked to be called "love" and "treacle" and was partial to a playful slap on the bum!
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Macaw stole her whole schtick from Ray Cokes in the great days of MTV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I think it comes from people who performed in the theatres, there was always something about them, Roy Walker is an example. Stephen Mulhern on the new version is ok, but he doesn't have the right aura about him.
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice when they use to have link men/women presenting the programmes themselves I thought