Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I thought the Linguist's girl was rather saucy.

:D

Had to think back to get that one.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the picture round with the typeface connection was rather opaque

Isn't that the object of Only Connect?

It had the advantage of being the type of question that someone observant could solve whilst someone else more knowledgeable could miss it so a child could get one up on their parents.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    According to a bit of googling some people refer to a hand which scores 0 as a "nineteen-point hand"...
    Certainly was what my dad used to do! He'd pick up his hand for the count, start "15-2, 15-4...a pair makes 18, plus one makes 19!" and throw the cards down with disgust!

K
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get it - belatedly, admittedly.:(
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it? I got that one with the second picture and I'm normally poor with those.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I got two right tonight, and am really improving at the last round with the vowels. This show is definitely practise, we are so much better at unscrambling the wall now, we used never get any of them.
    I did not like the team that won , the girl with the blue hair and silly name was annoying. The other team were unlucky in the end, I hope they do well in the next round.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did pretty well last night, was beating them until the missing vowels got about two, whereas last week I got nearly all the missing vowels and not much else!
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say she should lock the bathroom door when taking a shower, as she appears to be living with Norman Bates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    The Chessmen looked really miffed to be on the losing side though. (You could see Pertinez thinking 'But we're so brilliant! How on earth have we managed to find two sets of people capable of beating us!')
    He seemed to be suffering from his captain, who is another UC refugee who has to do everything. Isn't he still involved in selecting and even coaching the UC teams for his college, 15 years after being captain on that too?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    I'd say she should lock the bathroom door when taking a shower, as she appears to be living with Norman Bates.

He was a bit of a space invader, a close leaner, I mean I know its his mum, but still, find the middle ground, lean back, speak softer.
  • Options
    ian_jopsonian_jopson Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When your answering, do you mute during the wall so that the muttering doesn't mislead you? It's not so bad in the other rounds as they are a lot quicker, but we were never sure if it was our thinking or subliminally hearing there's that got us through. Now we aren't distracted by the team's mutterings while we try solve the walls.
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian_jopson wrote: »
    When your answering, do you mute during the wall so that the muttering doesn't mislead you? It's not so bad in the other rounds as they are a lot quicker, but we were never sure if it was our thinking or subliminally hearing there's that got us through. Now we aren't distracted by the team's mutterings while we try solve the walls.

In all honesty, we pause and then have a go ourselves before letting it run and seeing what they say! I guess we could mute, but we like to give ourselves a chance! ;) (I know it's "cheating" but it's something we've done since we first recorded Countdown - only on the numbers round in that instance. We liked to have a go at getting it but without the pressure! :D )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What makes you say that , do they own a motel ?
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    He was a bit of a space invader, a close leaner, I mean I know its his mum, but still, find the middle ground, lean back, speak softer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that a bit weird! They were really really close at several points. And it was his own mother.... :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes you say that , do they own a motel ?
    Well put it this way, I wouldn't be at all surprised. And I'm not the only one, it seems.

Mind, mum did actually move her lips a few times when she spoke. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mind, mum did actually move her lips a few times when she spoke. :D

Maybe the cameraman was just Jennifer Saunders' drinking buddy?
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    nelliek wrote: »
    I wasn't entirely happy that the Chessmen were allowed to appear in a second series.

And I do miss not being able to play along with the walls on the website. Don't know why the Beeb can't put those walls up, even if they no longer allow the 'make your own'.

They're not the first returnees we've had this series. They're not recent ones either. The Chessmen's first appearance was Series 2
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I reckon The Chessmen have a good chance of getting through when they come back again. Both teams did very well today! :D
    When did she say they'd been on before?

I thought it must have been a second round match as i'd seen them recently but it must have been a repeat on Dave.

But then again I think I would have remembered a girl with blue hair called La Carbonara.

Still, VCM was back in all her glory last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was thinking WTF?

Who looks at a picture and thinks, ah yes, it's the typeface. 5 points in the bag?

I thought the Only Connect logo the other week was one of the worst questions ever but some on here seemed to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was thinking WTF?

Who looks at a picture and thinks, ah yes, it's the typeface. 5 points in the bag?
    There was a clue in the Easyjet picture as they deliberately chose a particular typeface, not that I got it.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Certainly was what my dad used to do! He'd pick up his hand for the count, start "15-2, 15-4...a pair makes 18, plus one makes 19!" and throw the cards down with disgust!

K
    Yes, I agree. I used to play crib in the pub & you'd often say 19 as you laid down your dead hand. That's not the point though. We used to shout Shirley Bassey too! (I who have nothing). I just thought it was really poor. I'm surprised that last weeks "wedding" question provoked so much debate, but this, much more misleading question to me, seems to have got through unscathed!
  • Options
    Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lamest question ever
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamest question ever

I replayed that question to my wife, as she works with graphic design, print and copy and is dealing with fonts and typefaces every day. She will often randomly call out a font if seen somewhere, like a printsetting Tourettes sufferer and given that some people just instantly "get" some obscure answers ( i got a 5 pointer for Mondegreens the instant "Sue Lawley" popped up) I thought that if anyone was going to get that, it would be her.

She didn't get it. She was still doing ...er..red arrow...orange plane er, green disc..blue circle...er..no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I used to play crib in the pub & you'd often say 19 as you laid down your dead hand. That's not the point though. We used to shout Shirley Bassey too! (I who have nothing). I just thought it was really poor. I'm surprised that last weeks "wedding" question provoked so much debate, but this, much more misleading question to me, seems to have got through unscathed!
    There have been some ambiguous ones.

Going back to the snooker 155. That relies on the opposing player fouling and leaving the free ball on the black.
    That's why the 147 is counted as the maximum break in snooker.
    Theoretically, although practically impossible, you can achieve a 147 without the other player leaving their seat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    I'm surprised that last weeks "wedding" question provoked so much debate

Oh don't start that one again!!! :D:D