Options

Fearne cotton leaves radio one

Comments

• Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would of thought Gemma or Alice would of been the natural replacements surprised she is going to still be doing the chart show too ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Yordel wrote: »
    Absolutely stunned it isn't Alice Levine.

I just wonder though, if Clara is a convenient way to save budget

Don't see Fearne being back at BBC Radio ever. 6Music and Radio 2 are just not fits for her. She'll make the return to TV, or make a go of fashion full time

I disagree she wouldn't fit R2- she is personable + would like playing the music as I know she loves stuff like Dolly. Who would have though Chris Evans would end up taking over from Wogan doing breakfast?- loud, brash + so different. Yes there were (+still are) haters yet it was a tremendous success with his figures exceeding those of his predecessor. Again Steve Wright's show didn't seem obvious for R2 but it went well.

Fearne probably doesn't want a full time gig but I can see her doing maybe a weekly show at some point in the future. Zoe Ball, Sarah Cox + Jo Whiley all migrated to 2 so wouldn't see Fearne as unlikely.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 1 is going though the period where we will see lots of the well known names disappearing. Scott, Pete and Annie will be the next to move on. The station is also changing it's music policy too.

Scott will eventually move over to Radio 2. Fearne I can't see moving to Radio 2, but possibly move to commercial Radio and do lots of TV work.

I would like to see Chris Moyles moving to Radio 2, but I think he's bidding his time.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Radio 1 is going though the period where we will see lots of the well known names disappearing. [B}Scott, ]Pete and Annie [/B]will be the next to move on. The station is also changing it's music policy too.

Scott will eventually move over to Radio 2. Fearne I can't see moving to Radio 2, but possibly move to commercial Radio and do lots of TV work.

I would like to see Chris Moyles moving to Radio 2, but I think he's bidding his time.

Annie definitely won't move on soon, considering she only just got the job to replace Zane. She seems very happy on Radio 1 so I reckon she'll stay for at least another 5 years. Pete and Scott could possibly move on though, Scott more likely.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Annie definitely won't move on soon, considering she only just got the job to replace Zane. She seems very happy on Radio 1 so I reckon she'll stay for at least another 5 years. Pete and Scott could possibly move on though, Scott more likely.

I think occy meant Annie Nightingale.
    I bet Fearne covers for either Dermot or Jo Wiley in 2016
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As people say would Fearne moved on if she wasn't pregnant. The station wanted to replace her so she's made it easy for them. Scott is the only person can connect with cover breakfast , but possibly be a good contender for either breakfast cover or drive on Radio 2 in the future?
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just wonder though, if Clara is a convenient way to save budget<snip>

I would be surprised if there was a great deal of difference in the fee between Alice and Clara. Alice has a bit more of a profile but not that much to charge a great deal more.

I am surprised it was not Alice who got the show - I thought she was being built up for something.

However I've not heard Clara on Radio 1 so can't comment on whether she is suitable.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    She's pregnant again, so off to do family things. Fair play. She was knocking on a bit anyway (in Radio 1 terms)

Just looked up Clara she is only 4/5 years younger so hardly a huge difference born 1985/6 according to wiki
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Hopefully she won't land on Radio 2 anytime soon.

I was thinking the same
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »

Moyles is unemployable.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard Scott Mills talking about his future (or lack of it ) on radio One .You can hear him being interviewed on the iplayer . Very interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053rz5f
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Moyles is unemployable.

Chris Moyles is planning to open up his own radio station. He's building it in his back garden . He wil be the only DJ and member of staff on it.He will possibly be the only listener as well judging by his youtube videos :D

ps This is a joke.Moyles isn' t that desperate. Is he..? :confused:
  • Options
    Mel GMel G Posts: 5,254
    Forum Member
    I agree with those that say that Fearne's future lies in more tv rather than a switch to another radio station - she was a tv regular before and during her tenure at Radio 1 and can't be short of offers.

She often covers the One Show - maybe she'll do that more regularly? Or she would also be a natural choice for a fashion-related programme. I could also imagine her fronting music-based shows for the likes of Sky Arts if she wants to still keep a connection with her radio listeners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel G wrote: »
    I agree with those that say that Fearne's future lies in more tv rather than a switch to another radio station - she was a tv regular before and during her tenure at Radio 1 and can't be short of offers.

She often covers the One Show - maybe she'll do that more regularly? Or she would also be a natural choice for a fashion-related programme. I could also imagine her fronting music-based shows for the likes of Sky Arts if she wants to still keep a connection with her radio listeners.

I think she'll do a lot more mumsy things and painting and stuff. She'll do the occasional tv stuff but I think her radio days are probably over. She never did radio before radio one after all
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listened to the Chart show for the first time in ages, and Clara Amfo is a good presenter: slick, warm, not too waffly, very easy on the ear. Although I'd have preferred Alice Levine, I'm not too worried. A good choice as Fearne's replacement.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    I'm predicting that by the end of the year, or whenever Mills' current contract runs until, he will then leave.

Ben Cooper has been hyping up 'Innuendo Bingo' recently in various R1 news articles. Scott is 40 now and he's beginning to look tragic and 'down with the kids', with the 'work experience' Chris Stark.

R1 is supposed to be about music, but it still has outdated gimmicks on daytime shows.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I would be surprised if there was a great deal of difference in the fee between Alice and Clara. Alice has a bit more of a profile but not that much to charge a great deal more.

I am surprised it was not Alice who got the show - I thought she was being built up for something.

However I've not heard Clara on Radio 1 so can't comment on whether she is suitable.

I think Alice may get built up to take the drive time slot when Gregg leaves for another show, possibly him replacing Grimshaw on Breakfast, or maybe she's replacing Scott Mills when he leaves. She will get one of the roles while Dev will get the other.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Who will get fearne's slot?

Oh er, missus!

Good to see her go. She has one of the most nauseating voices/accents on the radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Mills to move to weekend breakfast in May?
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio One has become an unholy dog's dinner of a station.

This is no fault of any of the presenters left to steer a bloated ship with no clear direction or identity, despite the attempts to appeal to a younger audience.

Fearne was an excellent presenter and despite her family commitments (congrats) I'm surprised she has decided to make such a sudden break.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Scott will be around a good year or two yet, it makes sense to keep him on now that Fearne is going. We all know what happens when you make too many changes too quickly like in 1993. Even when Jo Whiley & Edith left weekdays they moved to weekends for a couple of years which made sense and was a smooth transition. I wouldn't say Radio 1s music policy has shifted at all, of course the older you get the less it will appeal to you but that's what's meant to happen to be fair. A lot of people have been slating Ben Cooper but I think he's doing a good job in keeping the station in touch with the youth. Being Radio 1 controller is not easy, a station will naturally age with it's audience and presenters unless you make constant changes but it's gradual changes that help stem the loss of older listeners and help acquire new younger ones. Had Bannister followed this approach in 1993 he would never have lost so many listeners.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Oh er, missus!

Good to see her go. She has one of the most nauseating voices/accents on the radio.

To quote Steve Allen on LBC, "voice like a truck driver."
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just wonder though, if Clara is a convenient way to save budget

Don't see Fearne being back at BBC Radio ever. 6Music and Radio 2 are just not fits for her. She'll make the return to TV, or make a go of fashion full time

Agree in terms of fairness and talent and profile built to date. Probably the likeliest reason is that she could be viewed as very similar to Lauren Laverne over on 6 in the same timeslot.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,405
    Forum Member

When I first read his interview on the BBC website I thought it was an odd thing to say, Cooper does come across as a very creepy 40 something Dad who's trying to be down with the kids by saying the word 'sex'. A very derogatory thing to say about a female presenter as of course he can't stop them but that doesn't necessarily lead onto pregnancy and I'm sure Fearne has made the decision as she wants another baby rather than as Cooper suggests she had sex and an unplanned pregnancy resulted causing him a scheduling headache.

Cooper should be over the moon, he's probably on some big bonus for cutting the stations cost and Fearne has just handed him his 2015 savings on a plate.

Never forget Ben Cooper is a man we all fund his £200k+ salary for out of our licence fees who once posed in a national magazine (Sky late 90s) in boxer shorts with his trousers around his ankles to promote the DJ who gave him a step onto the radio management ladder (Chris Moyles) only to later come back and kill Moyles career in his prime.

Cooper is a very self focused individual who's number one aim is to squeeze as much cash out of the BBC as possible, no doubt so he can retire on a gold plated licence fee funded 6 figure final salary pension before he's in his 50s, if that means denying the country a great broadcaster in Moyles or dumping a female DJ because she has the cheek to want a family then so be it.