Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I'll work on it when I get home. Its only 3PM here in Portland. I still have a couple of hour before I head home. Same for the new doc tomorrow. :)

It's not available yet on ITV player. They have Tuesdays ep but not this mornings show. I'll check again later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a few comments about this week's rewatch episode, S4 E1.

The main thing is what I already said in a post last night. Knowing how things turn out and knowing that Edith isn't a permanent fixture, I find that I can push the emotion aside and enjoy Lia Williams' performance. The character actually has great lines and Williams performs them so well. Lots of good, punchy one-liners and really funny stuff. Here are just a few.

At the hospital, as Doc's trying not to spew: "Bad pasty?"

At the surgery: "Do they pay you in chickens?"

On the phone to DM: "I'm afraid you've lost me with all those long words."

At the hospital to DM: You miss playing with all the machines, don't you?"

Probably her most famous line: "It wasn't hard to find you, Ellingham. I just followed the trail of outraged people."

And speaking of the trail of outraged people, did you, like me, worry about the elderly lady at the drink machine after Doc stole her wheelchair? Oh, no,she's going to sit down and fall to the floor! I think it was the anticipation of what might happen that was so funny.

In this episode we also get to watch as Al and Pauline's relationship moves forward (dang S5!). Al is trying to get her to move in with him, which results in some good lines. I love it when Al says, "So the only way you'll move in is if I win you in a game like a goldfish?"

Pauline has some great lines in this ep too, like, "Bert, the final frontier," and when her brother realized she's the one who perforated his septum when they were kids, "You buried 'My Little Pony'".

I love the suspicious mole/suspicious feeling/on a train/something's missing conversation between Bert and DM. I'm glad someone brought up the fact that Louisa is missing and shouldn't Martin be feeling something at this point? Bert's best line of all though? "I had a sheep that snored." Okay, maybe not everyone's favorite, but it gets me every time.

Did you notice that at the school when Doc arrives to treat pencil girl, he can't quite face the blood at first, and when the headmaster prods him, he reacts exactly as Joe Penhale did in the previous series when he was having problems with the agoraphobia. "I'm assessing." Right, Doc.:) But he was really sweet to the little girl. She asks Doc not to break her pencil, her favorite one, and he quite sweetly says "all right".

At one point I turned on the subtitles and noticed another subtitle error. As Doc walks through the village followed by Buddy, the pack of girls comes through and one sarcastically says, "Oh, how sweet," and another says, "Don't kill that one too." The subtitles say, "Don't call that one too", which makes absolutely NO sense at all. Don't call it? What?

When Chris visits Martin, I think it's obvious that Doc has been thinking long and hard about leaving Portwenn. We've already seen him working on the blood thing. Edith really has nothing to do with it (except that she later insinuates herself into the situation, helping him overcome the phobia).

I think my very favorite moments in this episode are all of the ones involving the Doc and Clive. When they first meet at the chemist shop, Clive goes on and on in his excessively loud voice and when he finally shuts up, Doc's quavering, "Lidocaine?" is brilliant. Later, back at the shop, when Doc increases his volume so Clive can hear, "That's why we are all shouting", I love it. MC is so good as the Doc! The best scene, however, is at the surgery when Doc gets the idea to use the stethoscope so Clive can hear. That entire scene is hilarious. Love it when he starts to explain what's wrong to Clive and Mrs. T. grabs the stethoscope to explain it and DM grabs it back and continues his explanation.

Other great lines:

Bert: "It's a big day for leeks and potatoes."
    Doc: "Shouldn't you be dozing at your desk?
    Doc: "Restrain that animal, or analyze its unhappy childhood."

Oh, and another good Doc insult. Mentally deficient parasite. Hah.

Uh oh, I lied. This is a lot more than "just a few comments". Sorry about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I was just looking at his twitter feed. Apparently he has a big role in E1. A couple of our members have been tweeting with him :D

Uh, anything we should know? Hm? Anything, anything, Buehler? Any beans being spilled?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe his name is Chippy Hubble and he is a crabman ;)

I think he is called Mr Hubble by Martin who would of course refer to I'm as "Mr Hubble". To everyone else in town he is known as Chippy or the crabman. That's my theory. Will be interested to see what he is called in S6E1?

Wouldn't DM call him "the appendix" or "the gall stones". :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for the link, Susie. I almost spent as much time looking at the faces of Ronnie and Bruce as I did at MC. Almost. Adorable young horsies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

Good point. The arm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have so many good questions for the producers, writers, directors, camera people, stand-ins. I wonder if there is a place we could assemble all of these questions and submit to PB after the next series airs (I'm sure they are way too busy right now and will be up to the airing). This would give us time to get some good succinct questions and see if we can get them to look at them and ask different people involved in the production to answer. I've got to believe we are their most rabid fans and maybe they would be willing to give us an insight into our favorite show. Perhaps one of our members could ask that question of MC or PB while in Port Isaac this spring/summer.

The reason I thought about this is that this morning I was looking at screen shots of the Christmas Special and the colors are so much more washed out than any of the regular episodes. I am so curious to know why?

Sounds like a great idea. The problem is how do we submit them to her? How do we do it?
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I've spotted her in a some of the DCI Banks promos on the local PBS station here recently. No info on when her episodes will start to air. I think, unlike Doc Martin and like Downton Abbey, DCI Banks is a PBS "network" show and we're probably all seeing the same episodes at the same time.

Here in Houston we've seen the first four episodes DCI Banks, last week being the first with CC. It makes one appreciate how nice a job Ben Bolt does as most scenes in Banks seem dark and cluttered to me.

Regarding S4 E1 of DM - I'm surprised the Buddha fans haven't remarked on Edith spotting it and saying it has been twenty years.

I like the way Edith and DM chug the water like two college boys chugging beer. Somehow it make you aware there was a history, to quote a phrase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2274372/Churchill-insurance-appeals-1m-payout-girl-16-wasnt-wearing-high-visibility-jacket.html#axzz2KB9jxkUU

Nothing to do with MC but a recent story about the company trying to blame a girl that was run over instead of the driver.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. The problem is how do we submit them to her? How do we do it?

I don't know about how we submit them other than in the very old fashioned way of sending them by mail to the Clunes at Beaminster, Dorset, UK. Even without any other address, I bet it gets to them, as Beaminster is only 3000 people and they are well known there. They have a very, very low-key tech life it seems (no blogs, websites, FB page, etc. heard of).

How to gather the questions --one idea would be for one of us to create a Google document online and "share" it with each of us who is willing to give their email address (privately through a PM, of course). One person can be the moderator/collector of the questions right off the forum here OR each person who the doc is "shared with/allowed to edit" can log into their Google account, see the doc and add to it at any time.

A friend and I have a statewide project going and we use Google docs all the time to share the load of the work we do, while allowing each or both of us to see the current status even simultaneously. It works lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link, Susie. I almost spent as much time looking at the faces of Ronnie and Bruce as I did at MC. Almost. Adorable young horsies.

You're very welcome. "I know. Me too." (oooh, this channeling is getting serious.;) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about how we submit them other than in the very old fashioned way of sending them by mail to the Clunes at Beaminster, Dorset, UK. Even without any other address, I bet it gets to them, as Beaminster is only 3000 people and they are well known there. They have a very, very low-key tech life it seems (no blogs, websites, FB page, etc. heard of).

How to gather the questions --one idea would be for one of us to create a Google document online and "share" it with each of us who is willing to give their email address (privately through a PM, of course). One person can be the moderator/collector of the questions right off the forum here OR each person who the doc is "shared with/allowed to edit" can log into their Google account, see the doc and add to it at any time.

A friend and I have a statewide project going and we use Google docs all the time to share the load of the work we do, while allowing each or both of us to see the current status even simultaneously. It works lovely.

Plus: I just was thinking about Sendibo's video for "Sharp Dressed Man". Wonder if we could do something similar for picking out our favorite "sharp dressed" DM, AL, etc. to help her along? I mean gather the scenes somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    Here in Houston we've seen the first four episodes DCI Banks, last week being the first with CC. It makes one appreciate how nice a job Ben Bolt does as most scenes in Banks seem dark and cluttered to me.

Regarding S4 E1 of DM - I'm surprised the Buddha fans haven't remarked on Edith spotting it and saying it has been twenty years.

I like the way Edith and DM chug the water like two college boys chugging beer. Somehow it make you aware there was a history, to quote a phrase.

But a big one, which I did not see immediately - Doc engages with Edith about personal things -

He remarks on her footwear
    Asks what she was doing in Truro
    And most significantly says "Married"

Come on, Doc asking personal questions?????

And there is almost a 'finish each other's sentences' feeling to the interplay between them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently MC was on Daybreak this morning. It looks like I'll be busy tonight.:)
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »

And these comments made me think about this encounter again ---

Doc goes to the drawer and pulls out 'Mr Hubble's' AKA Chippy's record. DM actually knowing someone's name enough to pull their record?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    But a big one, which I did not see immediately - Doc engages with Edith about personal things -

Asks what she was doing in Truro
    And most significantly says "Married"

Come on, Doc asking personal questions?????

And there is almost a 'finish each other's sentences' feeling to the interplay between them.

Yes, I do agree. It's almost like they are taking up where they left off. The scene at the kitchen table where she is unwrapping his bandaged hand also has an intimate feel about it.

I have never been able to make up my mind about whether or not DM actually thinks seriously about taking up with her romantically. Again, I suppose it's the ambiguity thing and that we're supposed to be kept guessing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Yes, I do agree. It's almost like they are taking up where they left off. The scene at the kitchen table where she is unwrapping his bandaged hand also has an intimate feel about it.

I have never been able to make up my mind about whether or not DM actually thinks seriously about taking up with her romantically. Again, I suppose it's the ambiguity thing and that we're supposed to be kept guessing.

Well, he certainly was not discouraging her advances - and, even in his limited way encouraging them. Two I remember: he suggests she stay for dinner, and leans in so she can kiss him. Also he takes her advice on a number of things. And he did not resist sharing a room, even put his clothes in the drawer and checked the bed for bedbugs. I think he did seriously consider reconnecting (so to speak) romantically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he certainly was not discouraging her advances - and, even in his limited way encouraging them. Two I remember: he suggests she stay for dinner, and leans in so she can kiss him. Also he takes her advice on a number of things. And he did not resist sharing a room, even put his clothes in the drawer and checked the bed for bedbugs. I think he did seriously consider reconnecting (so to speak) romantically.

Remind me of the "leaning in"?

He didn't run screaming from the room when he realized he was sharing it, but he didn't look altogether pleased to be there and in fact a bit standoffish.

But, on balance, I think it's more likely that he was considering whether he could reconnect with her and whether this would help him get over Louisa.

Its' only when the chambermaid flips her ponytail while making the bed that he realizes it just wont' work.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »

Now that I think about it, he does pay attention to footwear. Besides the Edith reference, he mentions Louisa's shoes when they are leaving for the concert and another time when he points out her mismatched shoes.

Perhaps our Doc has a bit of a foot fetish? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Remind me of the "leaning in"?

He didn't run screaming from the room when he realized he was sharing it, but he didn't look altogether pleased to be there and in fact a bit standoffish.

But, on balance, I think it's more likely that he was considering whether he could reconnect with her and whether this would help him get over Louisa.

Its' only when the chambermaid flips her ponytail while making the bed that he realizes it just wont' work.

On the leaning, they're in the car and he leans in for her to kiss him. It's not a giant move, but he did move slightly toward her. Compare this to Carrie Wilson's kiss and Louisa kissing him on the cheek a couple of times, including after the non-wedding.

Well, Edith certainly annoys him with her presumptuousness, but then everybody annoys him. Louisa annoyed him. The difference is that Edith doesn't second guess and is unapologetic about taking action while Louisa does and is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that I think about it, he does pay attention to footwear. Besides the Edith reference, he mentions Louisa's shoes when they are leaving for the concert and another time when he points out her mismatched shoes.

Perhaps our Doc has a bit of a foot fetish? :rolleyes:

Yet he never once comments on the dress of his receptionists. Perhaps he only notices the shoes of potential romantic targets.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the leaning, they're in the car and he leans in for her to kiss him. It's not a giant move, but he did move slightly toward her. Compare this to Carrie Wilson's kiss and Louisa kissing him on the cheek a couple of times, including after the non-wedding.

Well, Edith certainly annoys him with her presumptuousness, but then everybody annoys him. Louisa annoyed him. The difference is that Edith doesn't second guess and is unapologetic about taking action while Louisa does and is.

I think he considered it briefly because being with Edith would probably be easier than being with Louisa. As someone pointed out recently, Martin & Edith are the same species, but he would end up sleep-walking through life with her. In the middle of the whole pregnancy/she doesn't want me/she doesn't want me involved with the baby mess, this might have looked like an attractive proposition to him. But in the end, his passion for Louisa and the pull of that image on the ultrasound were too much for him to "settle".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Apparently MC was on Daybreak this morning. It looks like I'll be busy tonight.:)

I just checked and it looks like "This Morning" hasn't shown up on ITV player yet.
    Forum Member
    I think he considered it briefly because being with Edith would probably be easier than being with Louisa. As someone pointed out recently, Martin & Edith are the same species, but he would end up sleep-walking through life with her. In the middle of the whole pregnancy/she doesn't want me/she doesn't want me involved with the baby mess, this might have looked like an attractive proposition to him. But in the end, his passion for Louisa and the pull of that image on the ultrasound were too much for him to "settle".

We will have lots to talk about in these next weeks with S4, I don't want to get too ahead, but I think he is a bit clueless about Edith's intentions. IMO it is more a 'breather' for him, a chance to step away from the emotional upheaval of Louisa and her news and to have something academic to focus on. In this first episode when LG asks who she is he looks at her with almost a question in his face like " who is who?" and then just responds Edith.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet he never once comments on the dress of his receptionists. Perhaps he only notices the shoes of potential romantic targets.

Very early on he comments on Pauline's clothes indirectly, on the phone "cheap..." Sorry I am not home so can't get the series, ep or quote!
This discussion has been closed.