Options

Leaving BT

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have BT broadband and also a BT email account. I'm seriously thinking of leaving BT. If I do take that route will the BT email account also disappear?

Comments

• Options
    Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left BT and am now with plusnet. I still have a BT email address although I rarely use it any more. I think BT are supposed to charge me if I use it but they never have done.

So I think you should still be able to use your BT email address - though the broadband forum might be a better place to get a more knowledgeable answer than mine!
  • Options
    ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I left bt about 5 years ago and I still have my btinternet email account, i have never been charged For it, I think it's ok if you still use it
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    ninz39 wrote: »
    Well I left bt about 5 years ago and I still have my btinternet email account, i have never been charged For it, I think it's ok if you still use it

I'd be quiet about that.

BT do charge if you wish to keep your btinternet email address.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be quiet about that.

Not sure why.

I changed isp's tho 'the other way around'.....from Virgin to BT just over a year back and all my Virgin email accounts are accessible. In fact it was BT themselves who told me i'd still be able to use them so i'd be very surprised if it's not reciprocal.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Not sure why.

I changed isp's tho 'the other way around'.....from Virgin to BT just over a year back and all my Virgin email accounts are accessible. In fact it was BT themselves who told me i'd still be able to use them so i'd be very surprised if it's not reciprocal.

It's not :).
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin blocked access to my email accounts when I changed from them to sky end of last year.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another reason not to go with BT
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    The answer is simple - and obvious - don't use ISP's supplied email addresses, use your own personal one and you can move seamlessly between ISP's without your email being affected.

Just take out your own domain name, and use that for all your email - it's not expensive, and looks far better than a crappy ISP address.