Options

15 year old heads off to Syria

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Haven't seen a thread about THIS story yet.

Was watching a press conference held by the family on the C4 news tonight and, I couldn't help noticing the proliferation of family members all dressed up in their finest bin liners.

I can't help thinking that, tragic as this situation is, it's an inevitable consequence of bringing kids up to think that they're not actually part of the community they live in and are, instead, members of some other society thousands of miles away.

Seems she'd been talking to some other (as yet unidentified) older girl in London and they've both decided to nip off to Syria and lend a hand. :(

Comments

• Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard about this on the news today. How can a 15 year old and 17 year old just jet off to Syria without anybody knowing? Their parents are begging her to come home, saying there will be no repercussions. I say let her stay there, don't want her kind back here thank you very much. Brainwashed or not, she would always be a security threat to our country.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the betting that the family has deep ties to the 'local community' and that certain members of said 'community' greased the wheels and eased their passage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the very least, you've got to wonder where a 15 year old gets the cash to buy a plane ticket.

*EDIT*

While I'm at it, it seems rather disturbing the way her family are busy complaining that "there's no proof" she's been radicalised or that she's up to no good.
    That all sounds rather defensive to me.

F**k the proof. If I was a parent who was concerned about getting my kid back safely I'd be more interested in offering any possible information which I thought might be useful, rather than spending my time denying that there was "proof" of anything.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    What's the betting that the family has deep ties to the 'local community' and that certain members of said 'community' greased the wheels and eased their passage?
    "Heads off"?
    "Greased the wheels"?
    "Eased their passage"?
    Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    At the very least, you've got to wonder where a 15 year old gets the cash to buy a plane ticket.

She might not have the money but ISIS are well known to be the wealthiest terrorist organisation around. They would pay the fare to get fresh meat to impregnate and get more lovely jihadists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    She might not have the money but ISIS are well known to be the wealthiest terrorist organisation around. They would pay the fare to get fresh meat to impregnate and get more lovely jihadists.

If that's the case, I guess the police must already know more than they're saying.

I mean, they know the kids flew to Turkey so they'll have information about whoever did purchase the tickets, if the kids didn't purchase them for themselves.

Wonder if there's any CCTV in Istanbul airport, possibly showing them being met by somebody?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*EDIT*

While I'm at it, it seems rather disturbing the way her family are busy complaining that "there's no proof" she's been radicalised or that she's up to no good.
    That all sounds rather defensive to me.

F**k the proof. If I was a parent who was concerned about getting my kid back safely I'd be more interested in offering any possible information which I thought might be useful, rather than spending my time denying that there was "proof" of anything.

You do. From an earlier report it claimed she was self radicalised. I've no idea how true that is.
  • Options
    gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was watching a press conference held by the family on the C4 news tonight and, I couldn't help noticing the proliferation of family members all dressed up in their finest bin liners.

I can't help thinking that, tragic as this situation is, it's an inevitable consequence of bringing kids up to think that they're not actually part of the community they live in and are, instead, members of some other society thousands of miles away.

Seems she'd been talking to some other (as yet unidentified) older girl in London and they've both decided to nip off to Syria and lend a hand. :(

I thought you were better than that Si.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gkec wrote: »
    I thought you were better than that Si.

Right, cos that's the important issue here.

Just seems, to me, that here you've got somebody who obviously feels enough of an affiliation with something that's happening half way across the world that she, apparently, heads off to join, there's probably a reason for it.

I think it's fair to say, judging by the way her family and friends looked during the press conference, that the culture she's been brought up in probably had something to do with her forming the views she seems to have.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God how much do I detest that garment and everything it stands for, even twenty years ago they were almost unheard off in this country. :(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Yes! Exactly this ^^^

Don't even get me started on it >:(
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to the 15 year old, joining an organization reviled by much of the world and doomed to go down to ruinous and merciless defeat. Oh well the family won't be seeing her again once the Syrian Arab Army is through with the IS.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if this girl saw her mum crying on tv and wanted to come home - would she be able to?

I bet she's stuck there now, like women in Saudi Arabia who are not allowed to leave the country without male permission.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Even if this girl saw her mum crying on tv and wanted to come home - would she be able to?

I bet she's stuck there now, like women in Saudi Arabia who are not allowed to leave the country without male permission.

Compared to the absolute hell-hole that she's going to find when she gets to Syria, I reckon a bit of Saudi level female subservience would be a God-send.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    God how much do I detest that garment and everything it stands for, even twenty years ago they were almost unheard off in this country. :(

You and me both. Islamic ways are coming for you. You have been warned.

Many Muslims breed like rabbits, don't and won't integrate very well with current society and some IMO are a threat in terms of radical religious views.

It's a disaster waiting to happen and it won't be long for the UK be terminally infected.

And people say, I don't tell it as it is.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes a child.

These comments are disgraceful.

A security threat? 'Oh well the parents wont see her again'.

They have just effectively lost their child. I feel for them.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,593
    Forum Member
    I hope that this girl can be returned home safe and well to her family
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Compared to the absolute hell-hole that she's going to find when she gets to Syria, I reckon a bit of Saudi level female subservience would be a God-send.

For any Muslim/Islamist that wants to leave the UK for the Middle East I'd pay for them to go, if I could afford it. A one way ticket that is, and they would have to forfeit British citizenship, as part of the deal, i.e. you go, don't bother coming back. Take your family and friends (sharing your views) with you for good measure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

I hope so too and I hope that, once she's safely home, the family do some serious soul-searching about what led their 15 year old daughter to think that the conflict in Syria was more important than her life in Britain.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Shes a child.

Tough. Things have gotten out of hand and need resolving ASAP. They should bring back trying people for treason, and that includes 15 year olds.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Apparently the ones deciding to join IS don't feel the government is listening to them, I'm sure there is few million other people who feel the same and haven' become Jihadis.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so too and I hope that, once she's safely home, the family do some serious soul-searching about what led their 15 year old daughter to think that the conflict in Syria was more important than her life in Britain.

From what I've heard most of the radicalisation takes place online - undoubtedly twitter has something to answer for - Anjem Choudhary's twitter preaches hate and then there are other very sinister accounts I found linked to his. I would imagine that the majority of the mosques aren't preaching this kind of hatred but of course a few of them are. I suppose the online messages are you can either be a fake Western loving Muslim leading a meaningless existence in Britain or live a life of glamour, Call of Duty style violence and purpose in Syria/Iraq.

I would agree that the people have to have some sort of religious indoctrination to fall for the really nasty stuff, although some people convert from atheist to Muslim to terrorist in a very short space of time. Basically we need people to deconstruct the religion and force it through some sort of reformation - the status quo of it being left alone can no longer exist.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

I hope she is safe and well, but I hope she doesn't return here. We have enough people here already who seemingly hate The West and all it stands for, without re-importing those who hate us enough to go to these extreme lengths.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Shes a child.

Did you read the first sentence I wrote? Their daughter didn't go a bit off the rails and get a tattoo or get drunk at a party, she decided to join an organization with is well known for the most horrific brutality oppression and the mass murder of thousands of prisoners.

She's made her bed, now she can lie in it.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,593
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    I hope she is safe and well, but I hope she doesn't return here. We have enough people here already who seemingly hate The West and all it stands for, without re-importing those who hate us enough to go to these extreme lengths.

She is fifteen years old and has been monumentally stupid but like it or not this country is her home and she should come back
    Her recent experiences may well have changed her outlook and her story could help dissuade others from being so foolish