Apple claim its Samsungs fault that Apple are no longer seen as a Great Innovator

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
You couldn't make this stuff up. Apple are attempting to get more Samsung products banned in the USA nothing new there. However its all Samsung's fault that people no longer see Apple as innovative!

Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller said that Samsung has 'weakened the world view of Apple as this great designer and innovator'

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27333/Apple_receives_boost_in_battle_for_US_sales_ban_of_Samsung_devices.aspx#sthash.CVmfnsX8.dpuf

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the logical thing to do would be to innovate instead of suing? The lawsuit is a total mess and just proves what a disaster the US patent system has become.

It's not Samsung's fault that their products are appealing more to consumers than Apple products, or that Android has now won the smartphone war.

I'm going to predict that Apple is heading for trouble. Without Steve Jobs the company never does well and I think that they are heading down the wrong road.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This actually just made me spit my coffee out. No Apple, the reason why people buy Samsung is because they want

A larger screen

Less restrictions like ringtones, drag n drop through windows, generally more control over their own phone, instead of being dictated to what they can do with it.

Apple are just upset that they will never have world domination.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Were they ever a great innovator in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Were they ever a great innovator in the first place?

I think they do deserve a bit of credit for the iPhone and iPad, but the innovation has stopped since the first iterations of those devices. Nowadays they steal more ideas than anyone else.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errr.. isn't "weakening demand for competitor's products" what competition is all about? You'd think that the courts, especially in the land of Free Enterprise would understand that.

There are still some hardcore Apple fanboys out there (one recently said to me "Android is for people who cannot afford Apple") but most people are more open minded and recognise that markets change. The iPhone was a revolutionary product but it now looks dated compared to other phones. Apple have just failed to keep up with changing demands - they've always had the attitude that they will tell the world what people want rather than listening to what people actually want.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Saw this last week did make me chuckle.

What he actually said was "apple is not seen a innovating because of the samsung copying"

What he meant was "they keep making better phones and make ours look like the rip offs they are, just not fair, tell them to stop it"
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think they do deserve a bit of credit for the iPhone and iPad, but the innovation has stopped since the first iterations of those devices. Nowadays they steal more ideas than anyone else.

Even late great Steve Jobs was once said "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas & that good artists copy, great artists steal".
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed Apple meant that through patent infringement Samsung's products looked more/as innovative as Apples, hence damaging the Apple brand. i.e. they caught up/surpassed Apple unfairly.

But after reading the article, who knows what they meant!
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I don't think Apple have ever really innovated. That's not what they do.
    What they do is take an idea that doesn't work very well (like fingerprint reading) and make it work so well that you don't even notice you're using it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even late great Steve Jobs was once said "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas & that good artists copy, great artists steal".

Indeed. However I think there comes a point where the amount of theft overrides any "artistic" merit.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Indeed. However I think there comes a point where the amount of theft overrides any "artistic" merit.

So theft (in this use of the term) is OK until someone else does it better ? :p
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Surely the logical thing to do would be to innovate instead of suing? The lawsuit is a total mess and just proves what a disaster the US patent system has become.

It's not Samsung's fault that their products are appealing more to consumers than Apple products, or that Android has now won the smartphone war.

I'm going to predict that Apple is heading for trouble. Without Steve Jobs the company never does well and I think that they are heading down the wrong road.

I agree but I'm sure there would be some posters (with some justification) who would hold the view that a company with more cash reserves than the US Govt at the moment could never be seen to be 'heading for trouble' but these things go in cycles - there was once a time when Apple was on its 'arris (and ironically 'saved' by Microsoft) and only a fool would predict it could never happen again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I agree but I'm sure there would be some posters (with some justification) who would hold the view that a company with more cash reserves than the US Govt at the moment could never be seen to be 'heading for trouble' but these things go in cycles - there was once a time when Apple was on its 'arris (and ironically 'saved' by Microsoft) and only a fool would predict it could never happen again.

This is exactly what I was referring to. Apple had a huge fall from grace after they sacked Steve Jobs and were saved by Microsoft, and it was largely down to incompetence and a lack of direction.

I'm seeing the same lack of direction from Apple now as they had back then. They seem to be coasting at the moment. Those cash reserves are just that. Cash reserves. The moment they dip into those reserves, shareholders will not be encouraged by that and it will have a ripple effect for Apple across the market.

They may not reach bankruptcy in the near future, but I can definitely see them begin to struggle in the next year or so.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading a couple of months ago about Samsung launching a curved screen phone. Within the last week there's been reports that Apple are working on... a curved screen phone. That must be their idea of innovation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple's idea of innovation in 2010 was video calling. Been done for years.
    Apple's idea of innovation in 2013 was fingerprint scanning. Been done for years.

All they do is repackage old ideas to make them more accessible to the average user. They haven't invented a thing.

This is not an attack before anyone starts getting emotional. Not here to burn down any Church of Apple.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People having a choice is a bitch, Apple will have to fake it harder.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The logical thing for Samsung to do when they had the "Crisis of Design" was to innovate themselves. Instead they decided to take it from apple instead.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    The logical thing for Samsung to do when they had the "Crisis of Design" was to innovate themselves. Instead they decided to take it from apple instead.

except the chain goes further back than that as Apple took designs from other areas .... then marketed it better.

Smartphones existed before the iPhone
    As did 'app stores'
    As did 'touch screen'

Tablets existed before the iPad
    Mp3 players before the iPod

Im not condoning Samsungs strategies at all (Im not a huge Samsung fan either) - but Apple are no innocent party in the recent borrowing of ideas.

All companies do it, just some better than others. Apple had its turn (and Jobs even admitted that they did this) and its currently the turn of Samsung. Who knows what it will be in 5 years. As has been pointed out much of this goes in cycles.

Perhaps the big difference these days is the sheer volume of patents out there for stuff that seems stupid to many of us, and the amount of money that companies are willing to spend on lawyers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Samsung's design is not that similar to Apple's. I think only those with vision impairment could confuse a Galaxy S4 with an iPhone 5S.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all started when Samsung stole a rectangular shape of a tablet from Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung's design is not that similar to Apple's. I think only those with vision impairment could confuse a Galaxy S4 with an iPhone 5S.

I don't think the court case is referring to the S4 compared to the 5S.

Whether Samsung stole designs from apple is not in dispute as san sings own attorney has already admitted that.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly what I was referring to. Apple had a huge fall from grace after they sacked Steve Jobs and were saved by Microsoft, and it was largely down to incompetence and a lack of direction.

I'm seeing the same lack of direction from Apple now as they had back then. They seem to be coasting at the moment. Those cash reserves are just that. Cash reserves. The moment they dip into those reserves, shareholders will not be encouraged by that and it will have a ripple effect for Apple across the market.

They may not reach bankruptcy in the near future, but I can definitely see them begin to struggle in the next year or so.

Maybe you should research the history a little more thoroughly.

Apple were struggling before they sacked Steve Jobs - the Lisa which Jobs project managed was a financial disaster as was the Macintosh. The time away from Apple spent with Next and Pixar gave Jobs the time and maturity he needed to come back and effectively turn things around at Apple.

As for Microsoft they didn't save Apple out of the goodness of their heart they agreed to a settlement of pending lawsuits they they would most likely lose. It was in Microsofts best interests to team up with Apple at the time. Microsoft were already facing the monopoly allegations so it also helped their cause to continue to develop software for Apple and invest in them.
    Forum Member
    I don't think the court case is referring to the S4 compared to the 5S.

Whether Samsung stole designs from apple is not in dispute as san sings own attorney has already admitted that.

And Apple have already admitted that much of Apples 'innovation' is also stolen - in fact he seemed quite proud of the fact and came up with his obviously well thought out 'sound bite' for us all to still quote many years on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    except the chain goes further back than that as Apple took designs from other areas .... then marketed it better.

Smartphones existed before the iPhone
    As did 'app stores'
    As did 'touch screen'

Tablets existed before the iPad
    Mp3 players before the iPod

Im not condoning Samsungs strategies at all (Im not a huge Samsung fan either) - but Apple are no innocent party in the recent borrowing of ideas.

All companies do it, just some better than others. Apple had its turn (and Jobs even admitted that they did this) and its currently the turn of Samsung. Who knows what it will be in 5 years. As has been pointed out much of this goes in cycles.

Perhaps the big difference these days is the sheer volume of patents out there for stuff that seems stupid to many of us, and the amount of money that companies are willing to spend on lawyers.

That's why it is called innovation and not invention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    And Apple have already admitted that much of Apples 'innovation' is also stolen - in fact he seemed quite proud of the fact and came up with his obviously well thought out 'sound bite' for us all to still quote many years on :)

If you take a load of ideas that already exist and package them into a usable device then that is innovation. Everyone does that and there is nothing wrong with doing that.

If you just copy what someone else did, that isn't innovation, it is stealing.

Now, you might argue that samsung didn't steal, but they have admitted that, the court case is just to determine the impact (and therefore fine).

If a device existed that you think apple stole from then I'm surprised the owners of that device haven't decided to sue. I'm not aware of any such device.