Options

The Re-Watching Old Eurovision Contests Thread

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Sat is good! Maybe Queen Chiara will this time ;)

Croatia will have a late surge to victory :)
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pdm1987 wrote: »
    I like the sound of this. 1998 is good :)
    Forgive me, but (and I am Scottish) didn't the interval act involve a bunch of bagpipers (the horror!) or am I misremembering completely? Pretty lame if it was.

I can't remember well, perhaps I should re-watch after-all. I remember the mad German Guido climbing up the set (I thought that was awesome!), the UK being beaten into second place by the Israelis and the Mighty Chiara battling into third place for Malta and Dana International being late to pick-up her trophy because she was too busy changing her frock and the fact that the UK was represented then by an Irishman (Sir Terry), a Swede (Ulrika-ka-ka-ka) and an American (the Blessed Katrina). Ironic that isn't it?
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    This Saturday is fine for me, I can multitask this and the footie. :p

Well if forced to I will too :p

I remembering clearly howling with laughter at Guido. Can't wait to see him again :D
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Guildo!

Terry, should we run a little score wiz for during the interval to cast our own votes too? Despite Danijela having such a rubbish draw, I bet she'd still win!
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Loved Guildo!

Terry, should we run a little score wiz for during the interval to cast our own votes too? Despite Danijela having such a rubbish draw, I bet she'd still win!

We can do. I was wondering how people want to do it. We can use that watch2gether thing that was posted in the main thread when I first raised the idea, that allows us all to watch together as the name suggests and for the host to pause (ideal for pee-breaks so people don't miss the songs. That also allows for us to use the chat box to chat, of course that would mean we wouldn't be chatting here so if someone misses the re-watch they would miss the chatter. We could still use the watch2gether thing but chat here instead, though of course the host wouldn't be able to as you are all watching what is on the hosts screen, though I could always come here and post my opinions during the "breaks".

Of course I don't know whether the watch2gether will be reliable, when videos were played on join.me they didn't put out any sound and where just stuttering images, but I assume as watch2gether is set up for watcing videos together it will be more reliable, let's hope so anyway.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first timeless contest was 1988. Beautifully staged. The first one that looked expansive, massive and high tech from what I recall.
    Everything was done digitally from the scoreboard to the lighting and on screen graphics. And the first one to make extensive use of wire-cams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys

How many of you are still up for this tomorrow night. If there is enough interest I can start the show somewhere between 7 and 8.

If people prefer I can do either tuesday or wednesday night next week.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i will be in.. sunday, tuesday and wednesday

wouldn't mind a reminder as everyday is groundhog day
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can do Wednesday!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shall we do Wednesday then? I can get the word around and try to drum up some more interest and it gives you fottie fans the chance to concentrate on the match Saturday night. :)

Also, do we have any offers to host the next instalment after this, and what year would you like to do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so I am planning on doing the 1998 re-watch this coming Wednesday starting somewhere between 7 and 8pm. If you are interested in tuning in please drop me a PM so I can have a list of potentials and I will keep you informed of what the plan is and send you a reminder closer to the time.

I will post this on the general discussion thread and the DSFE thread as well to drum up some interest.

Once again if anyone wants to host the next edition, please state you interest here and also the year you would like to host.

:)
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday evening is good for me. We need to rewatch 2009 at some point too! Quality in '09 was amazing.
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    Yes, it should be fine with me, just need to convince the other half I haven't finally gone doolally! :D
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I should be up for Wednesday too! Excited - thanks for organising Terry!
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, will definitely try to tune in :)

Go Portugal :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to let you all know I am planning on doing this tomorrow (Wednesday) starting at 7pm. I will try to do it using that watch2gether thing which works like join.me. Hopefully it will play the video so everyone can hear it and doesn't buffer, if it does we will have to abort the watch2gether option and just watch it from youtube independently but at the same time.

Keep posting here if you are interested in watching with us tomorrow night.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am up for it
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I'm up for that tomorrow night.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I'm up for it as well
  • Options
    nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll try to watch with you guys and watch the Women's World Cup at the same time
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good to me, I'll happily join in. :)
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i will join in but will need to pop in and out..
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds good to me! :p I'll try and make it on time anyway.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I might be a little late as I accidentally agreed to go see Pitch Perfect 2 after 4pm without remembering this was already happening. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    I might be a little late as I accidentally agreed to go see Pitch Perfect 2 after 4pm without remembering this was already happening. :blush:

That's cool. Assuming watch2gether works the same as join.me, it will give me a link to post here in the thread which when you click on it allows you to see what is on my computer. So you can drop in and out as you please, though of course the show continues whilst you are aware.

I will post the link at around 6:30-6:45pm, and have a little pre-show just to make sure that it works for everyone, then at 7 the show will start.

We will have a couple of designated pee breaks, these will come after song 8, song 16, song 25 (the final song) and just before the voting starts.