Options

How To Diable Audio Description - Bbc1hd

GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last night I was shouted at!! apparently audio description was playing during eastenders!! I have it diabled in the menu but can it be switched on and off by the remote by accident??

How do I get rid of it ? I have forgotten

thanks all

gb--

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which make & model box do you have?

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops sorry, its the humax foxsat HDR and its for the other half, works it better than me!! I use sky + and a few other boxes.

gb--
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    oops sorry, its the humax foxsat HDR and its for the other half, works it better than me!! I use sky + and a few other boxes.

gb--

Was it on BBC1-HD, if so check that you have not selected the AD track. Press the speaker button on the remote (3 up from bottom 2nd from left).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I had this Monday and Tuesday night on my Foxsat for Eastenders. I went into Menu/Setup and that said audio description was disabled - but it was still doing it.

I had to turn it off using the speaker button, but if it's set to diabled in main settings, how does that happen ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    schustdj wrote: »
    I had this Monday and Tuesday night on my Foxsat for Eastenders. I went into Menu/Setup and that said audio description was disabled - but it was still doing it.

I had to turn it off using the speaker button, but if it's set to diabled in main settings, how does that happen ?

Because the HD channels use a seperate audio track for AD because the primary AC3 audio does not support Audio Description.

The menu option turns the AD on and off for lpcm sound used mainly by the SD channels (ITV1-HD Granada is also lpcm)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    many thanks worked a treat so a happy chappy again.

gb--
  • Options
    shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The past week or so I been getting this problem and its only ever Eastenders

Only way I been able to switch to audio is via remote
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Last night I was shouted at!! apparently audio description was playing during eastenders!! I have it diabled in the menu but can it be switched on and off by the remote by accident??

How do I get rid of it ? I have forgotten

thanks all

gb--
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shrek wrote: »
    The past week or so I been getting this problem and its only ever Eastenders

Only way I been able to switch to audio is via remote
    I had it last night on the most recent recording of The Shadow Line.
  • Options
    mizfiestamizfiesta Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    This happened to me when watching 'Luther' on BBC HD channel 109. I had recorded it but had to delete it as I couldn't watch it with the running commentary. I ended up watching it on BBC iplayer on my pc. So just to clarify, if it happens again while I'm watching something, I just press the speaker button and it goes off?

Oh yea and what does AD stand for? And can anyone tell me what ENC means when it's next to a program you've recorded in the media list?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audio description for the benefit of those with poor vision.

The ENC indicates the recording is protected and cannot be copied or viewed on another device.

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Because the HD channels use a seperate audio track for AD because the primary AC3 audio does not support Audio Description.

The menu option turns the AD on and off for lpcm sound used mainly by the SD channels (ITV1-HD Granada is also lpcm)

I have also noted this description in another thread:
    This isn't AD as in Freeview, where the narration is on a separate audio track and can be mixed by the receiver. BBC HD satellite channels have two audio tracks - the standard one is encoded in AC3 and the Narrative track in MPEG which is pre-mixed with the main track before broadcast. If you choose the MPEG track, or it's chosen by default, then you'll get the narration. Switch to the AC3 track if you don't want it.

My PanasonicPZ81 is fine. My Technisat HDFS is not!

I have not been able to find a way to turn off the AD/Narrative by default so although I can turn it off on any given channel it defaults back to AD when channel is changed.

Anyone with ideas or a HDFS themselves that has found how to disable the AD?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem when recording something on BBC HD. Although Audio Description is disabled, it still plays when I play back a recording.

Has this resulted because of a lack of communication between BBC and the manufacturers when BBC made a change to their software (if they did make a change)? That's assuming it is more than just Humax boxes that are affected.

It's most annoying having to switch AD off each time OH wants to watch a recording of Waterloo Road or Holby City!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I emailed Humax about this problem and also about the time taken to update the EPG when using the Guide button. They replied with an hour. Here's what they say.
    The problem with AD will be a software problem. We are looking into getting this fixed at the moment.
    Your second issue has occurred since our last software update. Each time the EPG is accessed the Humax box will make sure that the complete EPG is refreshed, this should take in the region of 45 seconds and you can then schedule recordings; during this period you can navigate the EPG. If you wish to quickly access the EPG to schedule a recording then you can do so by pressing the Schedule button on the remote and then pressing the red button to access the EPG; during this process the EPG is not updated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Because the HD channels use a separate audio track for AD because the primary AC3 audio does not support Audio Description.

There are no LPCM channels broadcast, full stop.

You're describing the two channel MPEG1 Layer 2 (MP2) soundtrack, as decoded and output as digital audio on one of the output connectors. Try not to confuse people with the wrong terminology.

As the Humax HDR with the .15 firmware can now be set to do AC3 mixdown, all audio channel formats can be output on S/PDIF or HDMI in LPCM format instead of AC3.

There's also no fundamental reason why the audio description soundtrack could not also be broadcast in AC3 format. In the case of BBC HD channels, a 192kbps 2.0 AC3 stream would save a little bandwidth compared to the 256kbps MP2 stream the BBC does use for AD.

In reference to the original post, the HDR often remembers which soundtrack you selected last time you watched a channel, independent of the menu settings. Use the speaker+questionmark button to change the soundtrack used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nowster wrote: »
    There are no LPCM channels broadcast, full stop.

You're describing the two channel MPEG1 Layer 2 (MP2) soundtrack, as decoded and output as digital audio on one of the output connectors. Try not to confuse people with the wrong terminology.

As the Humax HDR with the .15 firmware can now be set to do AC3 mixdown, all audio channel formats can be output on S/PDIF or HDMI in LPCM format instead of AC3.

There's also no fundamental reason why the audio description soundtrack could not also be broadcast in AC3 format. In the case of BBC HD channels, a 192kbps 2.0 AC3 stream would save a little bandwidth compared to the 256kbps MP2 stream the BBC does use for AD.

In reference to the original post, the HDR often remembers which soundtrack you selected last time you watched a channel, independent of the menu settings. Use the speaker+questionmark button to change the soundtrack used.

The broadcast is mpeg1 layer 2, what comes out of the digital audio sockets is lpcm stereo not MP2.

I can't win here, I was once chastised as describing the audio as MP2 you simply can't win. Whichever way you describe the sound some clever dick comes up with the opposite point of view. What matters to users is the sound delivered to their TV or Audio amplifier nothing else.

AC3 5.1 is not capable of supporting Audio Description within the same audio stream, hence the move to HE-AAAC for freeview HD.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    The ENC indicates the recording is protected and cannot be copied or viewed on another device.

I'd been wondering what that meant as well. At first I thought it was indicative of some fault! :)
  • Options
    ianjhianjh Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    As of last night, tried Disabling and selecting other language - English (the only one available) but when I select that I don't get any sound at all?

Any further advice please - problem with Eastenders and some other BBCHD progs

thanks

ian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianjh wrote: »
    As of last night, tried Disabling and selecting other language - English (the only one available) but when I select that I don't get any sound at all?

Any further advice please - problem with Eastenders and some other BBCHD progs

thanks

ian

Sounds like your TV or AV amplifier can't handle Dolby Digital sound. Try turning off DD sound in the Menu/Settings/TV setup menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another problem I find on BBC one HD when pausing a program is I get subtitles I have to stop and start again to stop it, subtitle button doenst turn it off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shrek wrote: »
    Another problem I find on BBC one HD when pausing a program is I get subtitles I have to stop and start again to stop it, subtitle button doenst turn it off

Pressing exit twice will get rid. Try this for a permanent solution.

Menu Settings Language Subtitle Display - Change Disable to Enable. Exit the menu.

Reenter the menu and change the Subtitle Display back to Disable.

Now try pausing BBC1-HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks graham I will try that