Sky Songs to close

digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
Forum Member
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post this e-mail as I'm sure a few people on here will use Sky Songs:
We are contacting you to let you know that unfortunately Sky Songs is to close. *

Although we've created what we believe to be a really innovative and good value digital music service, regrettably we've not been able to reach a large enough customer base in order for the service to continue.

Please be reassured that any tracks you have previously downloaded using the service remain yours to keep and are not affected by the service's closure.* These will remain in your music library and on any devices, such as your iPod or MP3 player, to which you have transferred music files.

And you need not worry about cancelling your payment to us.* This will be done automatically today.** And although we won't be asking for any further payments from you, you'll still be able to access to the service until its closure on 7th February 2011.

Until that point, you will still able to stream music, although the library of tracks may be subject to change as we move towards closure.* You can also download tracks in line with any outstanding entitlements (i.e. as part of your most recent subscription payment).

We appreciate the custom and support you've given the service and thank you for being a customer. *

How many people on here used this service?

Tom :)

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never lasted long.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never really got marketed did it? Can't ever recall seeing an advert for it which is strange considering all the adverts that get stuffed into the magazine.

Always thought we would see a bundle like get sky songs and receive an exclusive service on the tv like a sky version of music choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing tv adverts for it a few months back. Sure it was a Florence and the Machine track they had on.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    well theres other sites
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I use Sky Songs and was quite suprised about the closue. Seemed to be the only music service which let you stream tracks from your pc without ads. I joined last year and suspended the service and rejoined last month. I seem to have been given five more downloads for free because of the closure and access until the closure date.
  • White MonkWhite Monk Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post this e-mail as I'm sure a few people on here will use Sky Songs:

How many people on here used this service?

Tom :)

Never knew it existed :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Monk wrote: »
    Never knew it existed :eek:

Same!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame. It didn't last very long.

I have a Zune pass for my music downloads and streaming, but Sky Songs was good by letting you keep 5 cuts a month. Zune in the UK currently doesn't.

With iTunes for purchasing, and the free version of Spotify good enough for most people, its no wonder its had a hard time.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I was tempted to give it a go but thought it seemed expensive.

Perhaps they will re-launch with a more attractive offering?
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think they'll be the last to close such a service.:rolleyes:

Too many established services like iTunes, Napster, Spotify, etc. will see other providers of paid downloads fall by the wayside, or cutting their losses if they've got fingers in other pies - like Sky.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it until today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never used it but I'm not surprised to be honest, it had to compete against both Spotify and iTunes, probably the two biggest juggernauts in that market.
  • cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Ironically I heard of this for the first time tonight when Noel mentioned a song for charity being available on it during his Christmas Presents show.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    let it be let it be there will be a answer let it be