Options

Poldark

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    The Divorce Act of 1857 did help the situation, but I believe Poldark is currently in the 1790's and at that time there was no realistic opportunity to dissolve a marriage.

Basically for a long time after that, divorce was only really an option for the wealthy. Also bigamy was a serious crime.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    The Divorce Act of 1857 did help the situation, but I believe Poldark is currently in the 1790's and at that time there was no realistic opportunity to dissolve a marriage.
    Apologies. This often happens - my brain doesn't fully engage until about mid-day so I don't know why I bother posting before then! Fortunately, being well and truly retired, it doesn't matter. I was getting the 18th century muddled with the 1800s.

Before 1857, they could make a private amicable arrangement to live apart, but only if there was little property and arrangements were made for the proper care of children. The 1857 act came about because cohabitation with another or bigamy was fairly common and it was decided that some rules had to be laid down in law.

But Francis and Elizabeth had property so that wouldn't apply.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »

It's amazing how ignorant people can be of how it used to be in the past. Or perhaps they just think that it could be re-written to fit in with how things are today.

I'm always grateful for being a woman born now rather than in the past.

Sometimes I'm of two minds on this issue.

On the one hand, it does irritate me how historical events or situations are evalutated through C21st eyes or perspective. And then on the other, perhaps if certain areas of our history were taught better in schools, we might not have this problem.

Personally, I think C18th history is probably a rather neglected area of our schools curriculum, be it in English Literature or History. We know so much more about the Victorians and the Edwardians, thanks to many adapted Charles Dickens novel or a dumbed-down version of Edwardian life as depicted in Downton Abbey. Many of their practices still permeates through into our own lifetimes. For instance, we can know about gender and sexual politics of those times and reflect upon them than we do of the C18th. The shocking thing being that if we did know much of our history prior to 1837 when Victoria took up her throne, we might not be as shocked by what we hear and see is being done to women in other parts of the world.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    This is not spoilery but I know some of you don't like discussion of the books, so please feel free to ignore this...

I know that they've made a few changes, especially in that last episode but did George own The Queen Charlotte, the shipwrecked vessel in the books?

Because I don't remember him doing so and the way it came across on screen, as if it were almost a set up. Not that they engineered the shipwreck as such, but The Warleggans were depicted as immediately ready to take advantage of it to incriminate Poldark and it all seemed a bit odd TBH.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    From the book Pascoe said, "That is the property of a company controlled by the Warleggans. There's the Queen Charlotte and the Lady Lyson. No doubt they are a profitable side line.

Ross said "If I were you I should tremble for my soul. Is there anyone in the town besides you they don't own from head to toe?"
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women at work are now moaning that they have to get the box set to get their Poldark fix, and now he has been arrested will he appear in Prison Break?

*can't find roll eyes smiley*
  • Options
    L.B.L.B. Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic but what was the BBC programme advertised immediately after the end of Poldark - it looked awesome. It had a very long title.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L.B. wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but what was the BBC programme advertised immediately after the end of Poldark - it looked awesome. It had a very long title.

Was it Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell?

I've read the (very long) book by Susannah Clarke and loved it. It's set in an alternative 19th century in which magic is real, though the practice has fallen out of use, and has one of my favourite ever female characters in fiction, Arabella.

I hope the BBC do justice to it. I can't wait to see it!
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've read the (very long) book by Susannah Clarke and loved it. It's set in an alternative 19th century in which magic is real, though the practice has fallen out of use, and has one of my favourite ever female characters in fiction, Arabella.

I've never heard of this book but following this and a quick google have just bought it for my Kindle. Thank you!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of this book but following this and a quick google have just bought it for my Kindle. Thank you!

I hope you like it. It's not to everyone's taste, but I love long, long reads - either a thousand page novel or a series of 12 books like Poldark. :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in asda today and was surprised to see they didn't have the poldark book. I can buy it for my kindle but it really seems like the type of book that would be nice to hold.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the books years ago, getting them out of the library. When I finished the first two, I ordered in the next two, and then the next two etc. I have a library book on the go all year round, and last week when I was there I saw the last Poldark book ( Bella Poldark ) singled out on display. I had a quick glance through it and all the names from the future stories jumped out at me, Clowance in particular. Great reads all of them :)
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't wait for Jonathan Strange to be on - I love that book.
    Marc Warren is playing the 'gentleman' too - fantastic
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am old enough to remember the original Poldark series that the BBC did in the 1970s. This series has really struck me with how much the technology has moved on in that time, and how it has benefitted the drama. The original was shot mainly in the studio, using the old, cumbersome TV cameras of the day, which rarely permitted more than a half figure shot because there simply wasn't the space for a full length shot. Any location work was shot on 16mm film and it really showed as a totally different (and generally inferior) picture quality.

Nowadays we have compact HD digital cameras that can be hand-held or flown on wires, wide screen aspects, digital manipulation to give the picture quality a subtle period feel, a decent soundtrack and sometime in the last forty years, the Beeb has learned how to do action sequences properly (they used to be embarrassing). The new series seems to have been shot very largely on location, which is another point in its favour as it adds to the overall atmosphere. What hasn't changed is the quality of the writing and the acting. It was good then and it is good now.

Poldark has benefitted from being resurrected. I look forward to the second series. Maybe they will be encouraged to do the same with The Onedin Line.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This came up on my recommended page today. No idea why :blush::cool::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnz4PPv-RQ

He loves to laugh doesn't he :kitty:
  • Options
    L.B.L.B. Posts: 198
    Forum Member

Yes - thank you. Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks to this thread I now have 12 Poldark books and the one you've mentioned on my Amazon wish list for my kindle. :o I'm torn as to whether just to binge buy them (and not eat for the rest of the week) or to buy them a couple at a time.

Least with them being for the kindle they aren't going to sell out.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail had an article a few days ago about the various other books that are being prepared for TV, mostly by the BBC fortunately.

Missing Poldark? Don't fret! There's a host of classic TV remakes on the way
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    L.B. wrote: »
    Yes - thank you. Really looking forward to it.

Me too. I found the book complex and strange, and I would've said it was almost unfilmable but the trailer looked fantastic.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Love the historical disections. Bit sad really
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am old enough to remember the original Poldark series that the BBC did in the 1970s. This series has really struck me with how much the technology has moved on in that time, and how it has benefitted the drama. The original was shot mainly in the studio, using the old, cumbersome TV cameras of the day, which rarely permitted more than a half figure shot because there simply wasn't the space for a full length shot. Any location work was shot on 16mm film and it really showed as a totally different (and generally inferior) picture quality.

Nowadays we have compact HD digital cameras that can be hand-held or flown on wires, wide screen aspects, digital manipulation to give the picture quality a subtle period feel, a decent soundtrack and sometime in the last forty years, the Beeb has learned how to do action sequences properly (they used to be embarrassing). The new series seems to have been shot very largely on location, which is another point in its favour as it adds to the overall atmosphere. What hasn't changed is the quality of the writing and the acting. It was good then and it is good now.

Poldark has benefitted from being resurrected. I look forward to the second series. Maybe they will be encouraged to do the same with The Onedin Line.

I really hope not. What happened to imagination and the hundreds if not thousands of novels still out there yet to be adapted? Why does everything have to be remade?

The original Poldark characters were so much more fleshed out and interesting than the latest version. You could see why all the men fell in love with Elizabeth as she was at least classically beautiful and somewhat helpless and you could also believe and understand in the development of Ross and Demelza's relationship over time. This one was beautifully filmed etc but I found the characters disappointing in comparison.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member

I can't think of a scene in this production that wasn't on location? Agree, it was a huge contrast to the formal quality of interiors in the 70s version as well as the (what now seem) amateurish quality of exteriors.

From what I understand Wolf Hall was filmed entirely on location (at 6 NT sites) so perhaps this is the new norm.

Anyone know if the coastal shots were shot from drones?
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I am (too) late to the party, but I need to rant. I am watching episode three.
    The red hair dye on Demelza is driving me crazy. It shines through her scalp, and there is dye left behind her ear. And the colour is so unnatural. In later scenes, the dye has set, and she looks much better.

The make up is horrendous. And every rich person has pearly white teeth, and every poor/low class person has rotten teeth. But if they are poor and also friends (or shagging) with Ross, then their teeth is white. Like Demelza, Jim Carter, Mrs Carter, and the prostitute.

Rant over. For now.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 2 starts on 4th September.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 2 starts on 4th September.

Yay!!!:D