Options

Remember When Boxing Day Could Not Fall On A Sunday?

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
Does anyone else remember a time when December 26th was not called Boxing Day if it fell on a sunday? when this happened in 1971, 1976, 1982 and 1993 it was known as Christmas Sunday and Monday 27th December was called Boxing Day instead. i never really understood the reason for this but assumed there was some religious reason why Boxing Day could not be on a Sunday. last time this happened in 2004 it changed and Sunday 26th December was called Boxing Day and this coming Sunday 26th is also called Boxing Day. So why the change and why did we have this Christmas Sunday business in the past? I remember this causing a great deal of confusion as when someone referred to Boxing Day you had to ask if they meant the Sunday or Monday as many people couldnt get their heads round it!

Comments

• Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    It still can't! It has to be a working day.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people took no notice and still saw the 26th as Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing Day is a Bank Holiday, Bank Holidays do not fall on weekends. Ergo Boxing Day is on Monday 27th December. If it was good enough for 1993 it's good enough for 2010 :p
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan J wrote: »
    Boxing Day is a Bank Holiday, Bank Holidays do not fall on weekends. Ergo Boxing Day is on Monday 27th December. If it was good enough for 1993 it's good enough for 2010 :p

Christmas day is a bank holiday too, does that mean christmas day is on tuesday??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allfiredup wrote: »
    Christmas day is a bank holiday too, does that mean christmas day is on tuesday??

No, Christmas Day is fixed, Boxing Day is the first working day after Christmas Day.
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people will, quite acceptably, have Boxing Day as Sunday 26th. The bank holidays are Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th. The bank holiday for Boxing Day is the 28th.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    No, Christmas Day is fixed, Boxing Day is the first working day after Christmas Day.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

Boxing Day is Dec 28th. Christmas Day has a substitute day on Dec 27th but it is still Dec 25th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Teh User wrote: »
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

Boxing Day is Dec 28th. Christmas Day has a substitute day on Dec 27th but it is still Dec 25th.

They are (historically speaking at least) incorrect. Boxing Day is the first working day after Dec 25th, which would be Dec 27th. And because Christmas Day falls on a Saturday there is a second substitute day on the 28th. It doesn't matter in reality because it's still two days off (just in the wrong order).
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we should have
    Christmas Day on Friday
    Christmas Satuarday on Saturday
    Christmas Sunday on Sunday
    Boxing day on Monday
    And Easter eggs on sale in Woolworths on Tuesday!
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 'most people' want cheated out of a statutory holiday, that's up to them! My pay packet will have have it as a holiday!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So we should have
    Christmas Day on Friday
    Christmas Satuarday on Saturday
    Christmas Sunday on Sunday
    Boxing day on Monday
    And Easter eggs on sale in Woolworths on Tuesday!

That would be the situation when Christmas Day falls on a Friday - and is hence a public holiday anyway. Saturday and Sunday are the weekend anyway (so don't count), and Monday, being the first working day after Dec 25, is Boxing Day.. Friday and Monday are your bank holidays.

This year Christmas Day is a Saturday, which doesn't count as it's a weekend, nor does Dec 26, so Dec 27 being the next working day is Boxing Day, with a lieu day on Dec 28,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that the idea of Boxing Day being the 28th is ludicrous, and I cannot remember this ever coming up in the past when we had this scenario.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    26th is the feast of Saint Stephen. So it will be Saint Stephens Day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I have to say that the idea of Boxing Day being the 28th is ludicrous, and I cannot remember this ever coming up in the past when we had this scenario.

It can't be. Christmas Day falling on a Saturday is the only way the 28th becomes a bank holiday and in that case the 27th is Boxing Day.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

It does happen but not with great regularity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    26th is the feast of Saint Stephen. So it will be Saint Stephens Day.

And only Boxing Day as well, if 26th is not at a weekend. Saints' Days are fixed, public holidays fixed to a working day are not.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then you obviously weren't paying attention. It's not a new thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you obviously weren't paying attention. It's not a new thing.

I have been paying attention for 53 years now, although i will accept that these things probably weren't of too much importance to me in the first few of those. I have been well aware of the practice of calling Sunday 26th 'Christmas Sunday', with Monday 27th being labelled Boxing Day but have never before encountered the argument that in this scenario, Boxing Day moves to the 28th. I fully accept that this is the holiday in lieu of Boxing Day, but the suggestion that the 28th should actually be called Boxing Day is something I can never remember hearing before.
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the most pedantic of pedants will actually call the 28th Boxing Day. Really, 26th will be known as Boxing Day and 28th just a bank holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been paying attention for 53 years now, although i will accept that these things probably weren't of too much importance to me in the first few of those. I have been well aware of the practice of calling Sunday 26th 'Christmas Sunday', with Monday 27th being labelled Boxing Day but have never before encountered the argument that in this scenario, Boxing Day moves to the 28th. I fully accept that this is the holiday in lieu of Boxing Day, but the suggestion that the 28th should actually be called Boxing Day is something I can never remember hearing before.

That is because it is wrong.

(And in any case, 28th is actually the lieu day for 25th!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Leewich wrote: »
    Only the most pedantic of pedants will actually call the 28th Boxing Day. Really, 26th will be known as Boxing Day and 28th just a bank holiday.
    I tend to agree. Personally boxing day has no significance whatsoever, but I will regard Sunday as boxing day just because it's the day after Christmas.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    That would be the situation when Christmas Day falls on a Friday - and is hence a public holiday anyway. Saturday and Sunday are the weekend anyway (so don't count), and Monday, being the first working day after Dec 25, is Boxing Day.. Friday and Monday are your bank holidays.

This year Christmas Day is a Saturday, which doesn't count as it's a weekend, nor does Dec 26, so Dec 27 being the next working day is Boxing Day, with a lieu day on Dec 28,

Christmas Day Saturday 25th
    Boxing Day Sunday 26th (the modern way i.e. to most people)
    Christmas Day substitute bank holiday Monday 27th.
    Boxing Day substitute bank holiday Tuesday 28th.

All of which is the logical conclusion after reading the Direct.gov link posted earlier in this thread, in my view. But to verify it, we would have to read the full text of the relevant Royal Proclamation itself, which I have not been able to find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Christmas Day Saturday 25th
    Boxing Day Sunday 26th
    Christmas Day substitute bank holiday Monday 27th.
    Boxing Day substitute bank holiday Tuesday 27th.

All of which is logical, in my view.

Logical, but wrong, because as I said, Boxing Day was always historically the first working day after December 25th, whichever day that fell on. It can't be a Saturday or Sunday, because they aren't working days, it can't be a different day where Dec 26 is a working day, and if Dec 26 is a Saturday or a Sunday it becomes the Monday (27th or 28th).

So this year
    Christmas Day 25th
    26th is a Sunday so is not a working day anyway
    Monday 27th = first working day after 25th = Boxing Day
    Tuesday 28th = Bank Holiday in lieu of the 25th and 26th being a weekend (effectively then in lieu of 25th as 27th is Boxing Day (or if you prefer 27th being in lieu of 26th being unable to be Boxing Day as it is a weekend))
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The important thing is to check with a traffic warden, especially in Westminster where they have some odd views on when Boxing day is or is not....:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    The important thing is to check with a traffic warden, especially in Westminster where they have some odd views on when Boxing day is or is not....:mad:

Yeah. They could avoid the issue of different people having different interpretations (even though correctly it can only fall on one day) by using actual dates... but no.