Options

Alexandra Burke- Heartbreak On Hold Discussion

Comments

• Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    One of my favourites. :)

Prefer the Stargate remix that sampled The Music Sounds Better WIth You - the original one lacked something which I guess would be the sample!!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generic is being thrown too much but i mean it for Alex

Sorry it's just my opinion

I much prefer the non commericial type dance music. From the likes of Madonna, Robyn, Cyndi Lauper and even Kylie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of it sounds okay, some of it sounds like absolute cheap, thin, euro-pop trash. Her vocals sound great but the mastering/mixing sounds poor. Let It Go sounds like the best thing on this record, I like the sound of What Money Can't Buy too. Worried this album is going to be a flop for her... hope I'm wrong big time.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    Some of it sounds okay, some of it sounds like absolute cheap, thin, euro-pop trash. Her vocals sound great but the mastering/mixing sounds poor. Let It Go sounds like the best thing on this record, I like the sound of What Money Can't Buy too. Worried this album is going to be a flop for her... hope I'm wrong big time.

To be fair, if you compare the sample of Elephant or Let it Go to the actual track in full, the sample sounds really LQ. I think Amazon must upload them at like 96-128kbps taking out some of the quality.

I hope it's not a flop because I think some of the songs on there sound like much stronger singles than the first two! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Sounds like the same complaints people initially had when Kylie released "Fever" (now considered by many to be her best album). Lots of early complaints about it being "generic dance trash" that all "sounded the same".

When people truly started to listen to the album, instead of just making snap judgements, it became obvious it was the best thing she'd ever done.

I'm actually all for Alexandra and hate when people pick on her personality etc. To clarify, in my opinion, the previews are nothing special at all and I do hope to be proved wrong and that it's a great album.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    It's hilarious how Alex gets slated for her dance music being generic but the so-called 'princess' cheryl never does. :confused:

For starters, I for one do think Cheryl's new song is generic crap as well, but I'm not really sure what other artists have to do with it. Why are so many on this forum incapable of creating a counter-argument that doesn't involve bashing another artist?

I don't see why on a music forum, it's so far beyond the realms of possibility that people actually are judging the music and not the artist personally. I was rooting for Alex all the way through X Factor and enjoyed her first batch of singles from Overcome. I was also hoping for much better with her second album than this.

I think this album sounds generic because it's all just paint-by-numbers dance-pop, sound-wise just those quick sound-bites were a chore to get through so to be honest I'm not sure how much of a chance I can really give this album. If other people like it, fair enough but I don't see the need to demean the opinions of others because you don't agree.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    For starters, I for one do think Cheryl's new song is generic crap as well, but I'm not really sure what other artists have to do with it. Why are so many on this forum incapable of creating a counter-argument that doesn't involve bashing another artist?

I don't see why on a music forum, it's so far beyond the realms of possibility that people actually are judging the music and not the artist personally. I was rooting for Alex all the way through X Factor and enjoyed her first batch of singles from Overcome. I was also hoping for much better with her second album than this.

I think this album sounds generic because it's all just paint-by-numbers dance-pop, sound-wise just those quick sound-bites were a chore to get through so to be honest I'm not sure how much of a chance I can really give this album. If other people like it, fair enough but I don't see the need to demean the opinions of others because you don't agree.

I beg to differ, as someone had mentioned earlier generic IMO would be partying, dancing and going out. But Alex has made her own sound with these the songs and truly conveys strong messages that aren't related to partying, sleeping with men and sex. :)
  • Options
    Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what to make of the previews to be honest. At the moment, I'm feeling slightly disheartened but this is the response I've experienced with other albums that have gone on to become some of my favourites.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll listen to the album when it leaks but judging from the snippets, alot of the songs sound very samey. For those arguing it isn't generic because she's not singing about a club, it can still be generic in production. It sounds like we've heard it all before. I know she's a popstar and I'm not expecting her to make a revolutionary album, just abit of originality.

If Alexandra wants to make a good Electronic Dance album, she should take notes from Robyn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll listen to the album when it leaks but judging from the snippets, alot of the songs sound very samey. For those arguing it isn't generic because she's not singing about a club, it can still be generic in production. It sounds like we've heard it all before. I know she's a popstar and I'm not expecting her to make a revolutionary album, just abit of originality.

If Alexandra wants to make a good Electronic Dance album, she should take notes from Robyn.

Bit in Bold: That is exactly what I mean. A song with 'generic lyrics' can still sound great and really stand out production-wise. Even better if the lyrics are up to scratch as well as top-notch production. Whereas with this, I can barely be bothered taking note of the lyrics as the sound is so derivative and just a total chore to listen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit in Bold: That is exactly what I mean. A song with 'generic lyrics' can still sound great and really stand out production-wise. Even better if the lyrics are up to scratch as well as top-notch production. Whereas with this, I can barely be bothered taking note of the lyrics as the sound is so derivative and just a total chore to listen to.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't explain it in words how i felt and you have done that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I begrudgingly agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing people seem to be mistaking cohesiveness for is tempo. Just because everything is one tempo, that doesn't make it a cohesive album. Even sound wise because eventually it'll just get repetitive and boring. Again, I'll reserve full on judgement until I hear the album but considering she's executively produced this, it won't look good on her if it falls flat sonically.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing people seem to be mistaking cohesiveness for is tempo. Just because everything is one tempo, that doesn't make it a cohesive album. Even sound wise because eventually it'll just get repetitive and boring. Again, I'll reserve full on judgement until I hear the album but considering she's executively produced this, it won't look good on her if it falls flat sonically.

I like how the album starts off fast, slows down, speeds up then ends with the beautiful ballad What Money Can't Buy...I think it's quite hard to judge how the album will feel based on snippets, but overall Overcome was quite a fast album too, and that was fine...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could do so much better.

As I said in the other thread, it sounds like one of those cheap Ibiza compilation CDs they advertise on 4Music during off-peak hours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Generic is being thrown too much but i mean it for Alex

Sorry it's just my opinion

I much prefer the non commericial type dance music. From the likes of Madonna, Robyn, Cyndi Lauper and even Kylie.

MDNA & Aphrodite were both heavily influenced by the current dance music in the charts at the time of each release (Aphrodite is in my top 3 of Kylie before you start moaning - MDNA top 9! of Madonna)....I'll agree on Robyn - Body Talk is a stunning album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voodoo, why would I moan about Kylie being one of your fav albums?

MDNA wasn't inspired by the current dance music. Madonna isn't influenced by any of today's music which she has said several times during the small promo of the album. She makes music she wants to do. Aphrodite likely was but the production of it didn't feel generic. I can't describe what Aphrodite was but employing Stuart Price for that album was great. It opened up a new world for Kylie and her fans for that era in time.

What i love about Robyn is that she doesn't work with big name producers. She tends to work with unknown ones or lesser known ones. She is very much inspired by dance music from where she resides which in Sweden and of course in europe. But it never feels forced upon because Robyn does everything herself and isn't signed to a major label as she has her own. Again i can't explain the type of dance music Robyn does but she just hits the nail on the head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

MDNA wasn't inspired my the current dance music. Madonna isn't influenced by any of today's music which she has said several times during the small promo of the album. She makes music she wants to do. Aphrodite likely was but the production of it didn't feel generic. I can't describe what Aphrodite was but employing Stuart Price for that album was great. It opened up a new work for Kylie and her fans for that era in time.

Girl Gone Wild sounds like it could easily fit on to Heartbreak On Hold...the style of music is the same. The MDNA era wasn't really well received because the music itself wasn't that interesting which is why it crashed out of the US album charts...

I think the tracks on this album whilst some may describe them as generic, they are uplifting imo and Alex's vocals carry the songs quite a lot....if a weak vocalist was singing some of these songs, then the oomph would be gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member

:) The poster I quoted prompted me to be able to get across my thoughts too, but we got there in the end eh! :D Also agree with what you go on to say about Robyn in later posts - I don't even box her music as 'dance music' even though it is because it is that good and distinguishable from other artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) The poster I quoted prompted me to be able to get across my thoughts too, but we got there in the end eh! :D Also agree with what you go on to say about Robyn in later posts - I don't even box her music as 'dance music' even though it is because it is that good and distinguishable from other artists.

I agree about Robyn, she's literally in a league of her own as a popstar.
  • Options
    MartimaterMartimater Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Listened to the previews

Every song just sounds the same. She has done what i knew she would do. An uninspired, dull and genetic dance album.

Absolutley agree with that. I felt like wringing my head in my hands listening to it.
    Nothing special at all. The 90's sounding tracks sound dated. And for those people who say that ballads and slower songs are dated they're just lying to themselves. Ballads are back and they're more 'in' than ever.
    The one slow song in the album sounded like a Whitney b-side. Sorry. It's the truth. She should've included a ballad done during the actual recording of the album not a song written as an 18 year old.
    RCA have really messed it up for her. She was NEVER an executive producer because, for one, a collaboration would've been on the album as she was talking of collaborations since the recording began. I have to say I am relieved that David G. is not on the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alexandra is on The One Show now BTW. :)

EDIT: She has said that Cowell did give her a fair amount of creative control with Overcome, but the freedom of joining RCA and being exec producer was that she had more time to work on the album.

More interestingly for me, she has recorded stripped-back, acoustic versions of several songs on the new album. Now this is something that gives me more hope about her as an artist - I really have a fondness for such interpretations of uptempo tracks.
  • Options
    Forum Member

MDNA wasn't inspired by the current dance music. Madonna isn't influenced by any of today's music which she has said several times during the small promo of the album. She makes music she wants to do. Aphrodite likely was but the production of it didn't feel generic. I can't describe what Aphrodite was but employing Stuart Price for that album was great. It opened up a new world for Kylie and her fans for that era in time.

What i love about Robyn is that she doesn't work with big name producers. She tends to work with unknown ones or lesser known ones. She is very much inspired by dance music from where she resides which in Sweden and of course in europe. But it never feels forced upon because Robyn does everything herself and isn't signed to a major label as she has her own. Again i can't explain the type of dance music Robyn does but she just hits the nail on the head.

Maybe Kylie wasn't inspired either and said so in an interview that you missed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra is on The One Show now BTW. :)

EDIT: She has said that Cowell did give her a fair amount of creative control with Overcome, but the freedom of joining RCA and being exec producer was that she had more time to work on the album.

More interestingly for me, she has recorded stripped-back, acoustic versions of several songs on the new album. Now this is something that gives me more hope about her as an artist - I really have a fondness for such interpretations of uptempo tracks.

The deluxe version has stripped back acoustic tracks on it....

I do think however that Alex may have been pretty smart going in this direction tbh. I think Tonight and Fire sound like European hits, and given her popularity in Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia, I wouldn't be surprised if she chose this direction in order to expand into Europe as a whole....the album would be very suited to a tour of Ibiza and other European clubs...she could have hits with some of the songs there, and many huge EU artists are doing this exact same sound...
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wikipedia there is a deluxe version, with 2 new tracks produced by redone, and 3 acoustic versions of other songs on the album.