help with getting fibre broadband

simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im told I cant get fibre broadband and there are no plans for it , but I think it is because of a mix up with my postcode.

I live in a fairly new road about 10 months old yet it doesnt show on most maps and sat navs etc but those it does it shows as in some rural area about 8 miles away from where I actually am ?

When ive used the bt and openreach website to check it shows me as living in this rural area about 8 miles away and says I cant get fibre, and there are no plans in the pipeline.

My local exchange is enabled and the streets around me are taking orders. I understand it takes time to put in the infrastructure and not all cabinets etc can be done etc, but I just think the results of the checks for availability are wrong.

Who can I talk too, can anyone help please ?

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Openreach have a habit of leaving new builds out of their initial planning. Don't fear though, your cabinet may be included in an infill programme at a later date. If you advise what cabinet outré connected to and exchange, someone will be able to give you a definitive yes or no as to the current situation. Go to the BTw checker to get the details.
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Openreach have a habit of leaving new builds out of their initial planning. Don't fear though, your cabinet may be included in an infill programme at a later date. If you advise what cabinet outré connected to and exchange, someone will be able to give you a definitive yes or no as to the current situation. Go to the BTw checker to get the details.

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
    ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
    WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
    Fixed Rate1----Available

Does this make sense to you ? Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any help would be really appreciated :)
  • Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to those results, your cabinet isn't yet enabled for Fibre
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob_Online wrote: »
    According to those results, your cabinet isn't yet enabled for Fibre

Ok thanks, what do I look for in those results if it has been enabled :confused:
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really annoying I cannot get it to.
    The broadband building is just a few doors down the same road from me.
    The site says its unavailable for me where as my mate on the other side of town 2 miles away does have Talk Talk fiber.
  • Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of those results, something like this;

Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
    WBC FTTC Up to 72.3 Up to 20 -- Available
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadband building is just a few doors down the same road from me.

Are you sure ? If you were that close to the exchange, your ADSL speed estimated would be much higher
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »
    WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
    ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
    WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
    Fixed Rate1----Available

Does this make sense to you ? Thanks

If you put your phone number into the checker rather than the postcode, then above the table of available services there should be a line saying "(Telephone Number) on (Exchange) is served by Cabinet (Number)"

If you haven't got that last bit, there is a possibility that your property is an 'Exchange Only' line, meaning your line goes directly to the exchange, and not via a cabinet, meaning (for the moment) you are stuffed and won't be getting fibre any time soon.

Though as your property is a newbuild it could just mean that Openreach's database used in the Checker is a bit behind the times and doesn't record Cabinet details for your street.

Alternatively your Post Code might not be what you think it is - double check your address on the Royal Mail postcode finder - when my Mum moved into a newbuild she got told by the developer that the post code for the estate was one thing, turned out the second part had been changed. This sometimes happens where empty spaces get filled in with development because each postcode subdivision is usually limited to a small number of actual properties so if a large number of additional addresses are created one postcode might be further split by changing the letter of the trailing (2nd) part.
    Forum Member
    littleboo wrote: »
    Are you sure ? If you were that close to the exchange, your ADSL speed estimated would be much higher

fmradiotuner1 isn't the user who posted the Checker results, that was simonk243

If the "broadband building" (more commonly known as the telephone exchange :D) is a few doors down from fmradiotuner1's property, then it is quite likely that he/she is also on an Exchange Only line - if you live right close to an exchange chances are you're directly connected so there cannot be any 'Fibre To The Cabinet' provision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    If you put your phone number into the checker rather than the postcode, then above the table of available services there should be a line saying "(Telephone Number) on (Exchange) is served by Cabinet (Number)"

If you haven't got that last bit, there is a possibility that your property is an 'Exchange Only' line, meaning your line goes directly to the exchange, and not via a cabinet, meaning (for the moment) you are stuffed and won't be getting fibre any time soon.

Though as your property is a newbuild it could just mean that Openreach's database used in the Checker is a bit behind the times and doesn't record Cabinet details for your street.

Alternatively your Post Code might not be what you think it is - double check your address on the Royal Mail postcode finder - when my Mum moved into a newbuild she got told by the developer that the post code for the estate was one thing, turned out the second part had been changed. This sometimes happens where empty spaces get filled in with development because each postcode subdivision is usually limited to a small number of actual properties so if a large number of additional addresses are created one postcode might be further split by changing the letter of the trailing (2nd) part.

My phone number comes back as not recognised as its not a bt line but sky so I used the postcode instead
    Forum Member
    Ah, tricky!

The Post Code checker won't give Cabinet numbers as a Post Code may cover several streets with different cabinets.

You might get a result if you try the Full Address checker. Frustratingly, although there is a BT fibre cabinet less than 400m away at the end of my street, none of the 200+ flats and houses on my (15 year old) South London estate are connected to it :mad:

However I've tested the addresses of the older properties directly opposite the entrance to our road using the Full Address checker and the results do show cabinet information, so it might be worth a try using your street address details and post code.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    Ah, tricky!

The Post Code checker won't give Cabinet numbers as a Post Code may cover several streets with different cabinets.

You might get a result if you try the Full Address checker. Frustratingly, although there is a BT fibre cabinet less than 400m away at the end of my street, none of the 200+ flats and houses on my (15 year old) South London estate are connected to it :mad:

However I've tested the addresses of the older properties directly opposite the entrance to our road using the Full Address checker and the results do show cabinet information, so it might be worth a try using your street address details and post code.

Yes I have the cabinet number now from the full address checker what can I do now ? Thanks
    Forum Member
    It's good that your Cabinet information is displayed as this means it is technically feasible to deply FTTC 'superfast broadband' to your property.

However various commercial and logistical reasons mean that not all cabinets are being provided with a fibre conection, either because the number of properties served is not financially viable or because of remote distances, etc.

It is possible, if your housing development is really new, that it has yet to make it onto Openreach's rollout list, it may also be the case that your road has not yet been formally 'adopted' by the local authority and is still technically a 'private' road owned by the developers - if works are required within your estate this may delay matters as you're not on the 'public highway' yet.

If your exchange is already fibre-enabled and you're not "miles out of town" there is a good likelihood that you will, eventually, get fibre broadband, though you may have to wait a while.

There is an email address nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk to which you can write with your address, exchange and cabinet information and you should get an answer as to the specific situation with 'your' street cabinet, though be aware that Openreach can take several weeks to reply!

Hope this helps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks phil solo