New to Windows 8 - getting suicidal!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, day 1 has been an absolute disaster. I thought by downloading the Windows 7 "shell' as advised for those not fancying W8, I'd be OK, but no way!

1. Why do I have to log in with a password everytime I turn the PC on? Its a family PC, and in XP or Win7 we just used the PC no problem.

We dont want passwords or separate accounts!!!! Kids came home from school, now cant use the PC because my password is set on it & I dont fancy giving it out to them"

2. I downloaded Skype. I cant get a Skype icon on the desktop!

3. Why does virtually every action require me sign in with a Microsoft email account?

Thats just for starters!!

Fast losing hope!!

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can setup local accounts that don't require a password. This would be the best solution for a household with children anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You can setup local accounts that don't require a password. This would be the best solution for a household with children anyway.

I know how to do it on XP or Win7 but not for the life of me can I figure it out on Win8!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how to do it on XP or Win7 but not for the life of me can I figure it out on Win8!
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-user-account
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »

So basically, you have to create an email account for them 1st, rather than just a username & create a password - how the hell will kids (or those that have limited capabilities) be expected to do all this:(
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically, you have to create an email account for them 1st, rather than just a username & create a password - how the hell will kids (or those that have limited capabilities) be expected to do all this:(
    No, you don't.
    To create a local account

A local account is an account that gives you access to one PC only. If you create a local account, you'll need a separate account for each PC you use. None of your settings will be synchronised between the Windows 8 PCs you use, and you won’t have the benefits of connecting your PC to the cloud. If you want to download apps from the Windows Store, you’ll need to use a Microsoft account.

Follow these steps to create a local account:
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Users.

3. Tap or click Add a user, then tap or click Sign in without a Microsoft account

4. Tap or click Local account.

5. Enter a username for the new account.

6. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, then tap or click Next.

If your PC is on a domain, the domain security settings might let you skip this step and just tap or click Next, if you prefer. People can create their own passwords later.

7. Tap or click Finish.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re: Skype, download the the desktop version of skype from the skype website like you would have done previously - not the one from the windows store.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Everything was extremely easy to set up and use in W8 including the log on choices. There are thousands of guides on the internet for anyone with difficulties and hundreds on YouTube.
    Leave your kids alone with it for a couple of hours and they will probably have it sussed and set up, even if they need to use a bit of google help.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can only use native applications from desktop. Modern UI apps can only be started from Start screen. If you cannot pin it to taskbar, it's Modern UI.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Re: Skype, download the the desktop version of skype from the skype website like you would have done previously - not the one from the windows store.

This is the sort of dumbness that makes me question the sanity of the current Microsoft Management. Why do you need to install the same piece of software twice in different ways on supposedly the same operating system

And this is a Microsoft application(Skype I am sad to say has steadily become more unstable and buggy since Microsoft took it over)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    No, you don't.

Thsnks Stig. How do I get the 'admin' account that I created to
    work without a password? Thanks
    Forum Member
    As you want to do away with any log in..........Do This..

From the Start screen, type netplwiz.

The command for netplwiz, aka the User Accounts Control Panel, appears in the search results in the left pane. Click that command.

In the User Accounts Control Panel, select the account you wish to use to log in automatically.

Click off the check-box above the account that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click OK.

Enter your password once and then a second time to confirm it. Click OK.

Restart Windows.

Windows now bypasses the lock screen and the log-in screen to automatically take you to the Start screen.

Change your mind? To re-enable the log-in screen, simply return to the User Accounts Control Panel using the steps above and click on the check-box for the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.

Hope that helps..
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    This is the sort of dumbness that makes me question the sanity of the current Microsoft Management. Why do you need to install the same piece of software twice in different ways on supposedly the same operating system

Yep it is strange, bvut then MS don't want you to install the desktop version in windows 8.

By all accounts you don't need to install the desktop version, the Metro one will work even if you are in the desktop.

That is what I have read.
    And this is a Microsoft application(Skype I am sad to say has steadily become more unstable and buggy since Microsoft took it over)

Thought I was the only one to notice.

The Cricketer, I hope yo get it sorted soon, windows 8 can get confusing sometimes, with it too different accounts, but easy enough once you worked it out. i got a Local account and no password.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yep it is strange, bvut then MS don't want you to install the desktop version in windows 8.

By all accounts you don't need to install the desktop version, the Metro one will work even if you are in the desktop.

That is what I have read.

Thought I was the only one to notice.

The Cricketer, I hope yo get it sorted soon, windows 8 can get confusing sometimes, with it too different accounts, but easy enough once you worked it out. i got a Local account and no password.

Its a bit daunting but slowly getting there - basically, I really needed Win 7 on my new PC, but alas I am stuck with it for now!

As long as I keep away from the 'apps' I'm OK!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 has to be one of the worst versions of Windows ever. It's even worse than Vista and I hated Vista. What puzzles me is that MS appeared to have finally got it right with W7 and people were happy using it and then they f'ed up by bringing out this junk. They would have been as well off bringing back Windows 3.1. W8 belongs on the scrapheap of useless technology.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 has to be one of the worst versions of Windows ever. It's even worse than Vista and I hated Vista.

It really is time you changed the record. There's no need to keep posting the same thing, day after day.
    Forum Member
    Its a bit daunting but slowly getting there - basically, I really needed Win 7 on my new PC, but alas I am stuck with it for now!

As long as I keep away from the 'apps' I'm OK!

Why? just use the apps that are useful. There is nothing that says you have to use them all.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't need to install it twice at all. Both are perfectly usable on their own.

MS want you to use metro-mode skype but for people who want to live in the desktop, the desktop Skype is still supported (unless you suggest they start banning Win32 applications for which there is a WinRT equivalent).

All applications can be pinned to the start screen but only desktop apps can be pinned in the desktop.

It's just that currently, we have a lot of people who don't understand Windows 8 (and remember it is a transitional OS) and so on the one hand they want to do everything on the desktop instead of metro but then they are trying to download and use metro apps there because they don't know the difference between the two.

One could easily start metro skype and have the call run in the background whilst using the desktop or snap Skype to one side whilst using the desktop and there would be no need to use desktop Skype at all. But people often don't know about features like Snap View.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    You don't need to install it twice at all. Both are perfectly usable on their own.

MS want you to use metro-mode skype but for people who want to live in the desktop, the desktop Skype is still supported (unless you suggest they start banning Win32 applications for which there is a WinRT equivalent).

All applications can be pinned to the start screen but only desktop apps can be pinned in the desktop.

It's just that currently, we have a lot of people who don't understand Windows 8 (and remember it is a transitional OS) and so on the one hand they want to do everything on the desktop instead of metro but then they are trying to download and use metro apps there because they don't know the difference between the two.

One could easily start metro skype and have the call run in the background whilst using the desktop or snap Skype to one side whilst using the desktop and there would be no need to use desktop Skype at all. But people often don't know about features like Snap View.

I still can't get my head around why their are 2 separate programs that run in different modes on the same operating system that are still the same program and do the same job and also have totally different installation methods.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't get my head around why their are 2 separate programs that run in different modes on the same operating system that are still the same program and do the same job and also have totally different installation methods.

Windows 8 is effectively two operating systems tacked together though. You can pick and choose which one you use for each application, or use a combination of the two. Freedom of choice.

Personally I think they could have integrated the two a lot better, and they might yet, if Microsoft takes it's cue from third party apps like Stardock's ModernMix for example.

But it's perfectly usable as is. Doubt if anyone thinks it's a 'classic' OS like Windows 7, but it's OK as a transition.
    The question is, what is it a transtion to?... :D
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 has to be one of the worst versions of Windows ever. It's even worse than Vista and I hated Vista. What puzzles me is that MS appeared to have finally got it right with W7 and people were happy using it and then they f'ed up by bringing out this junk. They would have been as well off bringing back Windows 3.1. W8 belongs on the scrapheap of useless technology.

It certainly does appear to have caused endless trouble for many users who were quite capable of going about their business with Windows 7.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    But it's perfectly usable as is. Doubt if anyone thinks it's a 'classic' OS like Windows 7, but it's OK as a transition.
    The question is, what is it a transtion to?... :D

Therein lies the problem.

The worry is that MS will get rid of the desktop completely in the future and force everyone on to a Metro type UI.

I don't have W8 so admit I don't know but from the comments on here and elsewhere it seems that displaying multiple screens of different sizes on single and multiple monitors is a problem for Metro?
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem.

The worry is that MS will get rid of the desktop completely in the future and force everyone on to a Metro type UI.

I don't have W8 so admit I don't know but from the comments on here and elsewhere it seems that displaying multiple screens of different sizes on single and multiple monitors is a problem for Metro?

The bottom line is Metro is a tablet environment.
    Forum Member
    The bottom line is Metro is a tablet environment.

Welcome to the future.....:cool: