Options

Azealia Banks taking a pop at Iggy Azalea

J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
Forum Member
Azealia Banks is off again, this time she's having a go at Iggy Azalea for not speaking out against Ferguson (I think!) Even though her career is based around black culture (although in a much ruder manner)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2860178/Battle-Azalea-s-Azealia-Banks-takes-aim-Iggy-labelling-igloo-suggesting-like-throw-jar-urine-Australian-rapper.html

Do you think this is fair?
Personally I don't, I think Banks is a one hit wonder who now makes a career out of slagging off other celebrities. I also think referring to Iggy as 'Igloo' is steering very close to the mark. If this were a white artist arguing that a black artist shouldn't be making money through white culture would this be bigger news?

Comments

• Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banks is a nasty nasty person full of hate. If anyone acted the way she does to others to banks herself there would be hell to pay from her, they'd be called racists but it's okay for her to comment on peoples race, sexuality etc because she's black. Why doesn't she have a go at Eminem who is a white person and has been in the "black culture" for years on end now, he also hasn't spoken out about ferguson either as far as I'm aware. Didn't think it was a rule that if you rap you have to talk about ferguson.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's an absolute moron who needs to take her shitty flop albums and drop off the face of the Earth.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's so full of hate. It's quite worrying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you look at her Twitter she's quite vicious, she definitely has some issues there.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    She's built a career on one hit single and slagging people off. She must be trying to boost sales of her album which reached the dizzy heights of #30 in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now she's calling Bill Cosby a 'father figure' saying white people will do anything including tear him down to gain control. Girl is unhinged.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope iggy sits on her face
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some celebrities just get bored, so they then just try and start an argument with another celebrity.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    J-Star wrote: »
    Azealia Banks is off again, this time she's having a go at Iggy Azalea for not speaking out against Ferguson (I think!) Even though her career is based around black culture (although in a much ruder manner)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2860178/Battle-Azalea-s-Azealia-Banks-takes-aim-Iggy-labelling-igloo-suggesting-like-throw-jar-urine-Australian-rapper.html

Do you think this is fair?
    Personally I don't, I think Banks is a one hit wonder who now makes a career out of slagging off other celebrities. I also think referring to Iggy as 'Igloo' is steering very close to the mark. If this were a white artist arguing that a black artist shouldn't be making money through white culture would this be bigger news?

What's he done? I think he's kept a low profile since retiring from management:confused:
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's he done? I think he's kept a low profile since retiring from management:confused:

A number of women are accusing him of rape from years back.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    A number of women are accusing him of rape from years back.

maybe he should go back home to scotland hide there :kitty:
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azealia is often horribly wrong about things, Bill Cosby, basic economics, anti-Semitism and transphobia to name a few. But in this issue of Iggy's shameless appropriation and general mediocrity as well as the racism within the music industry for black female rappers especially, she's not.

This 'feud' has been plenty entertaining though. Iggy's inability to actually fight her own battles and having to have T.I. come and defend her (incoherently) is hilarious - surely any rapper worth their salt knows how to deal with beef?
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who and who????
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Banks is a nasty nasty person full of hate. If anyone acted the way she does to others to banks herself there would be hell to pay from her, they'd be called racists but it's okay for her to comment on peoples race, sexuality etc because she's black. .

Commentators on some gossip sites love her now shes trashing another white female artist, and as you point out, conveniently forgetting all the racist, homophobic remarks she's made herself. Her problem comes from the fact she can't stand to see a white woman with the career and media attention she thinks she's entitled to.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Beethoven'sPiano I totally agree.

I don't buy any of the crap about "cultural appropriation". I wouldn't care if a black person decided to get involved in classical music, so why should they care that she's merely imitating an accent? She (Iggy) only makes herself look ridiculous and isn't hurting anyone. She has already conceded that she is a pop-rapper rather than a serious rapper. Everything is watered down for the charts anyway.

I think the hate for Iggy is entirely racism against the colour of her skin. If she happened to be a black Australian imitating an Atlanta African-American accent I don't think she'd get nearly as much shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »

I don't buy any of the crap about "cultural appropriation". I wouldn't care if a black person decided to get involved in classical music, so why should they care that she's merely imitating an accent? She (Iggy) only makes herself look ridiculous and isn't hurting anyone. She has already conceded that she is a pop-rapper rather than a serious rapper. Everything is watered down for the charts anyway.

I think the hate for Iggy is entirely racism against the colour of her skin. If she happened to be a black Australian imitating an Atlanta African-American accent I don't think she'd get nearly as much shit.

I think some of the resentment towards her is the fact that is she was black she wouldn't be as popular as she is. It's not something I'd be moved to discuss in depth, I'm not fussed, but it does seem a big part of it is that a white girl can just come along, put on a black accent and become much more successful than her black peers.

I watched Bank's Hot 97 interview. She had some points to make but she was an emotional mess, she burst into tears several times, and she seems quite hypocritical too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDS-VEEl6w (Also I haven't forgiven her for calling Ian Brown a racist just because of a loud sound check...)
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lose track of who half these people are.

I used to follow Liam calling Blur prats, Noel calling Liam a prat or Ian Brown acting like a twonk and Reni never showing up for Roses gigs.

A spade used to be a spade.

Now it's all internets fighting for PR purposes and I bet most of these 'arguments' are crafted for effect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »

Basically Iggy Azalea is quite racist in her views of PoC which over the years she has shared on twitter and that's what started this all. http://piggyazalea.tumblr.com/post/79429483572/sharkeisha-a-lot-of-people-are-still-asking-me

But Azaelia is a mess and a racist and homophobe herself.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Jerrica09 - that's true. White girls seem to have more ease at getting hype. However, Iggy is not taken seriously, doesn't sell albums, and doesn't have a loyal fanbase. She won't last long. Also, as a teenager she slept with many African American rappers in order to secure herself record deals and work her way up. Perhaps she was willing to do what other girls wouldn't, or perhaps because many black men have a "thing" about white girls they offered her that chance in return for favours.

@cloudsailor - I do think the questionable things Iggy has said wouldn't have been noticed if anyone else had said them. She's expected to be more PC because of trying to insert herself into a minority community. That Piggy Azealia tumblr is more racist than anything Iggy has said or done.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I think both Iggy and AB are huge hypocritical bigots. That's all I've got from this feud.