Mary Queen Of The High Street

Comments

• Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Here we go!
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus, God knows I'm no prude, but a shop full of lollipop dicks? FFS.......
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is that idiot woman with the blurred face?

She should tell them to get stuffed and leave them to it!!!!
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Jesus, God knows I'm no prude, but a shop full of lollipop dicks? FFS.......

This is Margate its strange lol I hate living here.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Mary would come to my town. The centre is a right shithole full of empty shops and Discount stores. The once you've been in one you've been in them all kind of places. In our case its the councils fault though for allowing out of town developments to spring up all over the place, pushing the shops out of the centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I bet that Billy is ALWAYS dancing in the street.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    She does realise Mr Simms is a chain doesn't she?
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Yeah, I bet that Billy is ALWAYS dancing in the street.

He's a lovely bloke and the shop is still there.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    That man's teeth shows what happens when you own a sweetshop
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I like Billy's sweet shop and I like him. The beach area looks really nice, it's a shame it's not as popular as it used to be.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does realise Mr Simms is a chain doesn't she?

I know I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned. I bet that one doesn't have margate rock!

I feel sorry for the filming team not being welcome more than her lol

Oh and the in land pier thing that's not new my home town and uni town both had fairground rides in centre of the town
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    He's a lovely bloke and the shop is still there.

I don't doubt that, but the staged dancing was a wee bit cringeworthy.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    So Tracy Emin just writes something uninspired. What was the point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    So Tracy Emin just writes something uninspired. What was the point?

Anything Tracy Emin would have a hand in I would avoid like the plague. dreadful, dreadful untalented human being. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Emin is the "ambassador of Margate" she's just an embarrasment
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I love Margate' (with red heart symbol) would have been more inspiring than the dubious scribble she did come up with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    'I love Margate' (with red heart symbol) would have been more inspiring than the dubious scribble she did come up with.

She's apparently loved just about everybody else (well slept with) so why should Margate be any different? ;)
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the slogan was a bit inappropriate really, aimed at adults rather than families.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Emin is the "ambassador of Margate" she's just an embarrasment

What did you think of the show overall Funk, as a local?
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this now on +1. I'm finding this really interesting. Margate's not an area I know very well, but I hear very mixed reports about it. Some people say it's bloody awful, but others speak very highly about the Old Town area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Margate is like many other seaside towns.... it will have had troublesome people on benefits dumped on it from London and other towns bringing the whole tone of the place down. Druggies and drunks infest the places.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another enjoyable and exciting drama from Mary this week so well done to her. When the weirdos who didn’t want her in the meeting finally calmed down they decided to have a great time on the inland pier. The guy from Kiss Me Quick was a legend and Royal Academy think highly of local girl, Tracey so best wishes to them all. Hope it picks up for Margate.
    Forum Member
    What did you think of the show overall Funk, as a local?

Undecided to be perfectly honest. Since that was filmed (around late 2011 I believe) nothing has changed! a few shops popped up but the place is still dowdy, cheap looking and dirty. The streets are derelict most of the time, the nightlife is still non existant, the gallery has split the town in two. The poorer side is still poor and the richer side where the gallery is (and some surrounding businesses) seem to be doing well. What needs to happen is for Dreamland to re open and for the council to actually get on with putting these things in place.

People remember it for the big theme park so when that does re open tourists will flock back, until then it'll just be left to rot. Portas hasn't really helped the situtation and it seems Emin cant be arsed to come from her ivory tower in London and come up with some better ideas to spruce the town up. She keeps saying "Come to Margate for a dirty weekend" no one wants that! it makes it sound cheap and nasty, you can go anywhere in the UK or the world for a dirty weekend so why say that about Margate which already is dirty, cheap and nasty. She's absolutely useless and I don't know why people look up to her.
  • ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything Tracy Emin would have a hand in I would avoid like the plague. dreadful, dreadful untalented human being. :eek:

I agree and so unsuitable for a 'family shop'.
  • ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mary Portas is a publicity hunter, can't really stand her