City of Edinburgh Council where backhanders and dodgy deals flourish.

Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The council is supposed to serve its citizens with amenities and services that benefit the residents of this once elegant city, sadly they have failed to do that for years, corruption and secret deals appear the norm.

The current SNP/Labour coalition are currently embroiled in a scandal of the chief executives appointment to the board of SSE while they are front runners for the energy contract from said council, Sue Bruce is her name and failure and mismanagement her speciality, along with her sidekicks Andrew Burns and the odious Lesley Hinds they have created a cabal that is utterly arrogant in every way a group could be.

The repairs scandal is another part of the systematic corruption that prevails in said council, a former councillor now MP Sheila Gilmore was informed by a constituent while she was cabinet member for housing about the corruption within the department but either chose to turn a blind eye or really was utterly ignorant, a trait she still has as MP.

But wait there is more the billion pound train set that is millions over budget ,years behind schedule and a project that ensured the right people made bungs at taxpayers expense. The stink of corruption and failure are wafting through the city chambers and no amount of complaining does anything, even ED Milliiband does not care what the party he supposedly leads does in Edinburgh, I did however get a letter from Johan Lamont expressing her sympathies but that's all she did, not interested in the mess at CEC.

I'm Rowan Hedge and the council I pay council tax to stinks of corruption.

Comments

• TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I don't doubt that all councils are like that, always have and always will be. There's nothing you can do about it.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    The council is supposed to serve its citizens with amenities and services that benefit the residents of this once elegant city, sadly they have failed to do that for years, corruption and secret deals appear the norm.

The current SNP/Labour coalition are currently embroiled in a scandal of the chief executives appointment to the board of SSE while they are front runners for the energy contract from said council, Sue Bruce is her name and failure and mismanagement her speciality, along with her sidekicks Andrew Burns and the odious Lesley Hinds they have created a cabal that is utterly arrogant in every way a group could be.

The repairs scandal is another part of the systematic corruption that prevails in said council, a former councillor now MP Sheila Gilmore was informed by a constituent while she was cabinet member for housing about the corruption within the department but either chose to turn a blind eye or really was utterly ignorant, a trait she still has as MP.

But wait there is more the billion pound train set that is millions over budget ,years behind schedule and a project that ensured the right people made bungs at taxpayers expense. The stink of corruption and failure are wafting through the city chambers and no amount of complaining does anything, even ED Milliiband does not care what the party he supposedly leads does in Edinburgh, I did however get a letter from Johan Lamont expressing her sympathies but that's all she did, not interested in the mess at CEC.

I'm Rowan Hedge and the council I pay council tax to stinks of corruption.

Just a normal day in politics, at council and government level
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn’t look good for the SNP there then?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Doesn’t look good for the SNP there then?

An SNP Labour coalition - what a combination as I thought they loathed each other.. Its like Tweedle Dum and Tweedle even dumber in cahoots.:D
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    An SNP Labour coalition - what a combination as I thought they loathed each other.. Its like Tweedle Dum and Tweedle even dumber in cahoots.:D

Even though I’m a Labour supporter that’s funny :D
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say the same about Aberdeen, corruption and nimbyism are endemic in Scottish local Government. That's before you account for the shocking financial incompetence, Aberdeen is £600 million in debt and has over £100 million in rent and council tax arrears. You can't even blame one party, all four parties have had a share of power since 1995, with the Lib Dems and Labour in power the longest. Quite frankly Scottish local Government is the single greatest argument against devolution and independence.
  • DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    You could say the same about Aberdeen, corruption and nimbyism are endemic in Scottish local Government. That's before you account for the shocking financial incompetence, Aberdeen is £600 million in debt and has over £100 million in rent and council tax arrears. You can't even blame one party, all four parties have had a share of power since 1995, with the Lib Dems and Labour in power the longest. Quite frankly Scottish local Government is the single greatest argument against devolution and independence.

'Poor' local government has been in place long before devolved administrations.

What corruption? Pretty serious allegation that.

Also, particularly interested where you get the £100m rent arrears figure.