Options

Do you lament the demise of nightclubs?

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
I certainly don't. Ever since my teens, I have thought they were horrid places where you have pay in to listen to (and awkwardly dance to) very bad music and drink watered down booze while not being able to talk to anyone.

I have always been happiest with a few drinks with friends in the house or going to a local pub where the atmosphere is so much better.

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great for picking up women though.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main reason for going to nightclubs was to pick up birds and try to get a slow dance at the end of the evening.

Now I wished I'd have done something more hobby like. Such as learning to dance in a dance studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never found that but then I'm an ugly git and have to rely on my ability to talk to them which isn't easy in a nightclub.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Depends

As Compo would say

My Back I've got this bad back you see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends

As Compo would say

My Back I've got this bad back you see

Haha that made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found that but then I'm an ugly git and have to rely on my ability to talk to them which isn't easy in a nightclub.

Beer goggles can work wonders!
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only enjoyed nightclubs whilst off my nut on speed. When just sticking to drinking it was a bore and impossible to enjoy, personally, without the drugs.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know they had demised!
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed clubbing in my younger days, but I was only there to get hammered and to try and pick up women.

The thought of going to a nightclub now fills me with dread. Thank God I haven't had a mid-life crisis and started clubbing again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The clubs I used to go to turned the lights on full blast at the ed of the night and the horror of what people actually look like in the harsh light was enough to put you off clubbing for good.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to be hammered or on drugs to enjoy nightclubs, they are such lonely places really.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly don't. Ever since my teens, I have thought they were horrid places where you have pay in to listen to (and awkwardly dance to) very bad music and drink watered down booze while not being able to talk to anyone.

I have always been happiest with a few drinks with friends in the house or going to a local pub where the atmosphere is so much better.

Surely that depends where you were going (the music bit especially). I've always been into indie music so our local indie clubs were the only place on a night out that you'd actually hear decent music, in fact the main reason we'd go was for the music. Always found regular nightclubs a bit crap but indie clubs were great, everyone was there for the music and to be with like-minded people, there was very rarely any trouble because of this too.

Nowadays most of the clubs in our town have shut down in favour of bars that are open late and there's a great bar that is open until 3am, has a decent sized dancefloor, plays great music and sells good beer. I always end up in there at the end of a night out, it's great.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A recent google has shown me that all the nightclubs i used to frequent are now demolished and developed.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The main reason for going to nightclubs was to pick up birds and try to get a slow dance at the end of the evening.

Ah the last lager waltz, those were the days :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Surely that depends where you were going (the music bit especially). I've always been into indie music so our local indie clubs were the only place on a night out that you'd actually hear decent music, in fact the main reason we'd go was for the music. Always found regular nightclubs a bit crap but indie clubs were great, everyone was there for the music and to be with like-minded people, there was very rarely any trouble because of this too.

Nowadays most of the clubs in our town have shut down in favour of bars that are open late and there's a great bar that is open until 3am, has a decent sized dancefloor, plays great music and sells good beer. I always end up in there at the end of a night out, it's great.

I live in west Northern Ireland so the only choice when it comes to nightclubs is the stereotypical dives that play that awful "thump thump thump" music. There are a few bars who will occasionally have a decent band on. As for drink, if you don't like fizzy piss like Fosters, Stella, Carlsberg or the like, you are shit out of luck.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good to have the late 90s/early 2000s Cream/Gatecrasher/Sundissential days back again, but then they were of their time and had become really chavvy by the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Would be good to have the late 90s/early 2000s Cream/Gatecrasher/Sundissential days back again, but then they were of their time and had become really chavvy by the end.

That was my idea of hell :o
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

About half my city's top undergroud DJ's, when I was clubbing etc, were my mates so paying to get in was quite rare. usually able to either be on a guest list or just blag yoru way in by carrying boxes of vinyl or wearing headphones. Surprisingly effective.

As we shared the same tastes in music, that wasn't a problem.

As for watered down drink, well it was mainly water getting drunk so couldn't complain there!
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do the gay nightclubs in London and for one reason only. Always hated the music. I loved the indie clubs that opened during the Britpop era in the mid 90s.

OK, I know it's not my "demographic", but I think I would rather chew my own arms off than spend a night in here:

http://www.luxeessex.com/
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What people are calling night clubs are merely pubs wirh a dance area and a late drinks licence.

A proper night club would have cabaret/ live music, proper meals and even a bit of gambling.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's really funny in nightclubs nowadays is watching people chatting and them pretending they can hear the conversation by nodding every now and then.

I've done this myself. What else can anyone do except scream and say 'I can't hear a fookin word you're are sayin' :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    That's my career/hobby as an E-jay dpwn the bog before it's started.
    I've done a remix of Zambezi as well.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i didn't know "night" clubs were in demise. are you sure it's not just you getting older?

but perhaps it's the type of club i'd call a "nightclub" as opposed to "club" that's in demise. the cheesy meatmarkets full of lad's who don't know how to tuck a shirt in, and have competitions to drink as much lager as possible and try and pull a bird. i never frequented the type of place that would have a slow dance at the end

i was fortunate to know pretty much all the dj's covering all styles of dance music and knew all that most interesting nights. i didn't use guest lists, i just turned up and walked in as i knew so many people, doorman included, as it was typically one or two companies that ran venues and due to using them myself every night i knew nearly them all. it was the same for most dj's and club promoters, and even people who generally worked in clubs, it was just an unsaid rule that you let certain people in for free. i normally only use guest lists if i'm not in town so the folk on the door know who to let in free

you still get folk offering to carry stuff in for you, which i'm happy to let them do, but they would still get in anyway for free. perhaps those of you fell for that in the past. record boxes used to weight a tonne!
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    only went in to one once, with a friend when i was 19, was extremely drunk before i even got there, it was too loud and spent most of the time sitting down
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    That's my career/hobby as an E-jay dpwn the bog before it's started.
    I've done a remix of Zambezi as well.
    .......................................................................................................................................................................................
    Last edited by motsy : Today at 17:29. Reason: The spell check police are more interested in my spelling than what I've got to say

"Evenin' all" :D