Paul McCartney on J.R.S. show.

2»

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The Fab Four's one and only instrumental track I think.

That was Flying, which preceded Blue Jay Way on the album.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they were famously screwed financially and didn't make anywhere near as much as they should have done (Apple made up for it many years after they'd broken up, but compared, say, to The Rolling Stones, The Beatles were badly managed financially).
    Epstein put The Beatles 'on the map' but as a Manager of a group whose fame would quickly go stratospheric, was hopelessly out of his depth. His dogged determination to get them their first recording contract is legendary where many top labels including Decca had already turned them down....until George Martin and EMI.

Merchandising alone could easily have made them all millions and should have done. Unlike Mick Jagger none of The Beatles had any previous background or knowledge in finance so trusted 'the experts'. Big mistake....but then what else can you do but trust?

The real cracks came when Epstein had died and Paul wanted Lee Eastman, Linda's father to manage them. Lennon persuaded George and Ringo to side with him in favour of Allen Klein. Not a good idea as he had managed to aquire sole copyright of all early Rolling Stones recordings through a very clever con. He was later imprisoned for tax evasion over his fraudulent activity with Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh.

As for McCartney's appearance at the weekend, well, he's just finished a massive tour, his voice takes a while to recover after weeks of three hour concerts and he was probably shattered. For what incredible fame he's been through, I think he's a great credit for the way he's always behaved (in contrast to so many others) and the flak he gets for not remaining at the age of 30 or not disappearing to live in a cave is really sad.
    Couldn't agree more and i'm just surprised to find he is still doing three hour concerts! He was 'only' 62 when i saw him.

I don't understand the flak either. He may not be one of the most articulate speakers or every chat show hosts ideal guest, but i'm just glad and appreciative we have someone who has written an absolute ream of songs over the years (some himself, others with Lennon), and still continues to enjoy writing and playing them.

He does it purely because of that....pleasure and self satisfaction. He certainly doesn't need to do it for money and hasn't needed to for a very long time!
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I thought he was okay as well. I have no idea how much JR discusses the coming interview and runs questions past guests, but it seemed to me as if the Lennon questions threw him a bit and got him a bit choked.

Possibly JR thought the same because he very quickly segued into another topic at one point.

If anyone knows, I'd love to know how these chat show interviews work exactly and how much is spontaneous or planned, and whether this is the same for most guests or whether some guests insist on having questions run past them whereas others just basically go on and have a conversation.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If anyone knows, I'd love to know how these chat show interviews work exactly and how much is spontaneous or planned.

Well, I know for TV and radio (even something like Loose Ends) there's a standard 'pre-interview' done by a researcher, who then produces a summary of the conversation, highlights good stories, advises what isn't worth discussion, etc, then helps the interviewer compile a set of questions. Sometimes they do indeed ask something out of the blue, but mostly the interviewee has already been told 'Oh, that's a good story, we'll ask you about that,' so they're well-primed. On US chat shows the pre-interviews are incredibly thorough, and they rarely ever deviate from the topics agreed on, which is why the actual discussions tend to be so robotic.
  • mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Not a Mac fan...should have given up many many years ago ..all those bloody v signs and Linda sausages....
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Well, I know for TV and radio (even something like Loose Ends) there's a standard 'pre-interview' done by a researcher, who then produces a summary of the conversation, highlights good stories, advises what isn't worth discussion, etc, then helps the interviewer compile a set of questions. Sometimes they do indeed ask something out of the blue, but mostly the interviewee has already been told 'Oh, that's a good story, we'll ask you about that,' so they're well-primed. On US chat shows the pre-interviews are incredibly thorough, and they rarely ever deviate from the topics agreed on, which is why the actual discussions tend to be so robotic.

Thanks HF. I assumed it went along those lines.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    When i went to see him he was at Sheffield Hallam Arena. The weather was nice and a queue was beginning to form so decided to join them. We heard him doing his soundcheck....then there was a long silence. Next came an announcement over the tannoy that he'd had to cancel due to throat problems. I think he had to cancel the next four or five concerts.

Everyone was offered either a full refund or tickets for a new date as he would return to fill in those he'd had to cancel. I chose the latter and he didn't disappoint. By the time he hit the opening chords of "I Saw Her Standing There" everyone leapt out of their seats and just danced wherever they could! It really was a brilliant evening of music.
    Must have a big disappointment to hear the concert was called off when your actually at the venue. would have felt very upset, at least it all turned out ok in the end.
    I saw him at Anfield and it was also a lovely night as well. atmosphere was electric.lot of foreigners standing near us, i assume all came for the show, Yoko and George Harrisons wife were there that night, never saw them but Paul mentioned they wanted to be in Liverpool for the concert.
    Fantastic show, the Beatles songs sounded far better than i expected. Relative had to go the toilet,while away Paul played Live and Let die, it had gone dark by that time and he probably played it when you saw him as well so you will know what i mean, flashing light and fireworks to accompany the song was incredible. relative comes back from the toilet .couldn't stop myself from telling him you really picked the wrong time to go the loo,