I can't stop doing internet speed tests

12346»

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Followed that, using "admin" as the user name, and the passphrase on the side of the router, as the password, but it won't let me in.

"User name and password not recognised, please try again"

Checked and double checked the passphrase. If they want something else, then it's a mystery to me.

I'll leave it. Contacting VM help line is like walking through thick treacle. They make it a trial of strength and patience, rather than a positive helpful experience.

Thanks for your help jra :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hmm...

What's that supposed to mean? It's not exactly hard to find out what your line will take if the cap is removed.

First time I checked it was: Attainable Rate (Kbps) (downstream): 76,184, (upstream): 27,237. Last time I checked was 18 months ago, it was about 1Mbps lower then but I haven't bothered to check since as I've had no problems with it. In reality I get around 73Mbps down and 19.5 Mbps up (20,000Kbps) which is the upstream cap.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Followed that, using "admin" as the user name, and the passphrase on the side of the router, as the password, but it won't let me in.

Checked and double checked the passphrase. If they want something else, then it's a mystery to me.

I'll leave it. Contacting VM help line is like walking through thick treacle. They make it a trial of strength and patience, rather than a positive helpful experience.

Try admin, changeme or use blank as the password.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Default-router-username-and-password/td-p/1721794

http://portforward.com/default_username_password/Virgin_Media.htm

Otherwise, reset the router and try the user name and password you were given.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27646&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3657&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

You need to use the password NOT the passphrase! They are different.

If it’s a Virgin Superhub (original version) and the password has not been previously changed then this WILL get you in:
    Super Hub Username: admin
    Super Hub Password: changeme

If it’s Virgin Superhub 2 then I think you only need the password which again is: changeme

Give it a go! ....it’s not difficult.

The following is the info you need to check/change the router speed for a Virgin Superhub (original);......I imagine the routine will be very similar if you have a Virgin Superhub type 2.

Assuming your router password has not been changed then;

You’ll get a popup to say the password should be changed but just click ‘OK’.... then you are logged in to your router. (you can change the password at your discretion at ANY time if you wish).

Click ‘Advanced Settings’

Click ‘Wireless Radio’.

In the Wireless Mode section, click the selector : ‘Up to 144Mbps (best for wireless range) ’

Then Click ‘Apply’

........after a few moments your screen will refresh and the router will be configured running 802.11n protocol (144Mbps ); your wireless devices should now run at the same speed as your directly connected devices (near enough anyway!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    You need to use the password NOT the passphrase! They are different.

If it’s a Virgin Superhub (original version) and the password has not been previously changed then this WILL get you in:

If it’s Virgin Superhub 2 then I think you only need the password which again is: changeme

Give it a go! ....it’s not difficult.

The following is the info you need to check/change the router speed for a Virgin Superhub (original);......I imagine the routine will be very similar if you have a Virgin Superhub type 2.

Assuming your router password has not been changed then;

You’ll get a popup to say the password should be changed but just click ‘OK’.... then you are logged in to your router. (you can change the password at your discretion at ANY time if you wish).

Click ‘Advanced Settings’

Click ‘Wireless Radio’.

In the Wireless Mode section, click the selector : ‘Up to 144Mbps (best for wireless range) ’

Then Click ‘Apply’

........after a few moments your screen will refresh and the router will be configured running 802.11n protocol (144Mbps ); your wireless devices should now run at the same speed as your directly connected devices (near enough anyway!)

Thanks.

I did manage to get in using admin and changeme, but the configuration was completely different to the above. Couldn't find any way to alter it to give me higher speeds from an external device.

There was certainly no option for "advanced settings".

It's an original version superhub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

I did manage to get in using admin and changeme, but the configuration was completely different to the above. Couldn't find any way to alter it to give me higher speeds from an external device.

There was certainly no option for "advanced settings".

It's an original version superhub.

You’ve obviously managed to log in to your router and I’m a little puzzled as to why the ‘advanced settings’ wasn’t available.

The ‘advanced settings’ selector is kind of hidden away in the very bottom right hand corner of the home screen when you login.

If you’ve first selected the large red icon called” Wi Fi Wireless Network Settings” on the home screen you will NOT be given access to the ‘advanced settings’.

It’s a little confusing....give it another go!

P.s. does your Virgin Superhub look like this.

Virgin Superhub
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    You’ve obviously managed to log in to your router and I’m a little puzzled as to why the ‘advanced settings’ wasn’t available.

The ‘advanced settings’ selector is kind of hidden away in the very bottom right hand corner of the home screen when you login.

If you’ve first selected the large red icon called” Wi Fi Wireless Network Settings” on the home screen you will NOT be given access to the ‘advanced settings’.

It’s a little confusing....give it another go!

P.s. does your Virgin Superhub look like this.

Virgin Superhub

Yes, identical. I'll give it another go.

Thanks bri :)
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    You lot with your fancy FTTC/P and Cable connections make me sick (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bah, humbug.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    You lot with your fancy FTTC/P and Cable connections make me sick (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bah, humbug.

Par for the course around here. My FTTC cabinet is about 200 metres away. However, if you are living out in the sticks, the view out of your windows will hopefully be better than mine.

So, crap view, good broadband speeds, good view, shit broadband speeds.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Par for the course around here. My FTTC cabinet is about 200 metres away. However, if you are living out in the sticks, the view out of your windows will hopefully be better than mine.

So, crap view, good broadband speeds, good view, shit broadband speeds.
    Well that is what you would expect. Except I live in a major city on a fairly recent (~ 6years old) housing development. You ask BT and they will confirm that the exchange has been enabled for FTTC for about 4 years. Have the cabs been done? Nope. Is there an estimated date for them to be done? Nope.

My parents on the other hand live about an hours drive away in a rural village with probably a couple of hundred people living there. They can get 80mbit FTTC. This was of course funded by a government grant, which I have no objection to at all, but what about all those homes and businesses in the cities that BT have coloured in with their big colouring book but not actually delivered a service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, identical. I'll give it another go.

Thanks bri :)

Your router is an original Virgin Superhub and as such the info I furnished in post #130 is definitely valid. :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Well that is what you would expect. Except I live in a major city on a fairly recent (~ 6years old) housing development. You ask BT and they will confirm that the exchange has been enabled for FTTC for about 4 years. Have the cabs been done? Nope. Is there an estimated date for them to be done? Nope.

My parents on the other hand live about an hours drive away in a rural village with probably a couple of hundred people living there. They can get 80mbit FTTC. This was of course funded by a government grant, which I have no objection to at all, but what about all those homes and businesses in the cities that BT have coloured in with their big colouring book but not actually delivered a service?

I can only imagine that BT have decided that it'll not be worth connecting them because of the low population in that area.....if that is the case.