Options

Air Asia flight missing

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the media outlets don't wheel on David Learmount again saying "Modern aircraft do not fall out of the sky"
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    When you lose a loved one, you will realise how immature you are.

Unless you already did and still feel no empathy.

In that case please talk to your GP.

People die every second of every day. There just isn't enough empathy to go around. Oops, a few people around the world have just kicked the bucket, as I was typing this post. I'll send all of their families a 'sorry for your loss/with deepest sympathy' card.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's truly weird how a plane can just "vanish".

As far as bad weather, pilots have had to cope with this since planes first went up in the air. What's the difference now ?
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D:confused: How would that occur exactly?

It wouldn't under normal circumstances, so if one DID go missing it would have to be the work of Space Monsters, therefore interesting. :D
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,651
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's truly weird how a plane can just "vanish".

As far as bad weather, pilots have had to cope with this since planes first went up in the air. What's the difference now ?

Planes are more advanced so can handle adverse weather better, therefore more planes fly in bad weather. This in turn leads to more incidents of planes being affected by bad weather.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty bored of planes going missing now.

A train going missing would be pretty interesting.

That really isn't funny - grow up.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    That really isn't funny - grow up.

I laughed, so it obviously was. Who's wrong?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll all be dead then. Horrible way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Its only been a matter of hours since the last contact, wreckage isn't always found immediately.

The plane appears to have gone down over the ocean, that's a huge area which needs to be searched in bad weather conditions.

Your assuming the plane has 'vanished without trace', it hasn't, the wreckage will be found in due course.

Until found it has vanished without trace. Same as MH370.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ho Ho Ho what a lovely xmassy thread.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Haha. Trains are confined to tracks.

Train crashes. Pretty high chance of most people surviving.

Plane crashes. Game over for most people, unless you are very lucky.

So, what goes up must come down.

The train leaves the track, grows it's own legs and goes walkabout around the countryside looking for magic mushrooms, as they need a pink gorilla to act as the train 'supervisor'.

I think you may be the taking the poster a little too seriously. And besides, the very reason a train going missing would be interesting, is because the train has literally nowhere to go.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    I think you may be the taking the poster a little too seriously. And besides, the very reason a train going missing would be interesting, is because the train has literally nowhere to go.

A train did go missing in India. It got diverted into strange parts of India's huge network http://www.ibtimes.co.in/lost-found-missing-train-tracked-bihar-after-17-days-609006
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=ste likes boobs;76201279]Pretty bored of planes going missing now.

A train going missing would be pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]

Oh poor you. :(
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    PaleHorse wrote: »

By saying 'The train leaves the track, grows it's own legs and goes walkabout around the countryside looking for magic mushrooms, as they need a pink gorilla to act as the train 'supervisor'.', I may be taking the poster a little too seriously. :o

I'll give you 10/10 for wittiness.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,851
    Forum Member
    For those who are taking this seriously .......

Sky news has just interviewed a pilot who regularly flies this route. His explanation and analysis of the situation was most informative, giving details of the flight path, weather, and how the pilot would fly the plane to deal with the conditions.

His outlook was not optimistic I'm afraid. :(
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

Sky news has just interviewed a pilot who regularly flies this route. His explanation and analysis of the situation was most informative, giving details of the flight path, weather, and how the pilot would fly the plane to deal with the conditions.

Dreadful news. I feel for the families waiting for news :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »

It must be absolutely dreadful. I feel so sorry for them.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,651
    Forum Member
    You what I find weird is that all the planes that have gone missing or crashed recently have connections to Singapore.

Are you sure?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

I don't think it needs a professional pilot to work out the likely outcome, to be fair. Around 5 years ago a plane crashed into the Indian ocean with only one survivor, a young girl who held on to floating wreckage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »

Exactly. Poor souls. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/missing-flight-3rd-malaysia-linked-incident-27859752
    Oops, sorry I think I'm getting confused by Singapore and Malaysia. I should have waited until I had woken up properly before I posted, apologies.

All 3 are kinda linked with Malaysia, though, which it what I presumed you meant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    If this one does turn out to have disappeared without trace, by my reckoning it will be the second.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aerial_disappearances
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this doesn't end up being the same as the Malaysia flight MH370!

If it has gone down I pray that they find the wreckage so that the families can grieve and and not be left in limbo!:(
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    A train did go missing in India. It got diverted into strange parts of India's huge network http://www.ibtimes.co.in/lost-found-missing-train-tracked-bihar-after-17-days-609006

Yes, but a train going missing is still much rarer a feat than a plane going missing, wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another problem with airbus. Condolences to all those affected.