Options

Who watches the Queens speech these days?

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every year you hear about the millions of people that have tuned into the annual Queens speech on Christmas Day. However, apart from my mum I know of no one for whom it is an essential part of their Christmas Day. Do you watch it and if so why do you think it is still relevant in 2014?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it for years but it was the most watched programme on christmas day according to the news.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    We do. The kids enjoy it too - it's The Queen.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced I've ever watched it in full. I didn't see any of it this year.

Normal routine on Xmas Day afternoon is to watch TOTP after lunch and then go for a walk.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i even stood up this year
    bloody republicans
    :D
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    i even stood up this year
    bloody republicans
    :D

I watched it standing as well. As I remarked at the time, I can't recall a better one.

The theme was unity - something we need in these fractured times of "multiculturalism".
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never miss it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I want to watch a rich, detached from society older woman talk nonsense, I just need visit anywhere serving high tea with "ladies of leisure" eating while their husbands pretend to play golf while visiting their mistresses. At least I don't feel vicariously guilty and insulted for contributing to her inflated sense of wealth at the expense of the populace because one of her ancestors was deluded enough to think God picked him personally to rule a nation, like I'm pampering a spoilt, deluded toddler who thinks the country is an all year round Santa Claus for her Greek and German lineage in place of any concrete British heritage of greater significance when a Canadian technically has a more legit seat to the English throne than any of the Windsor/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line aside from aggressive and defamatory ascendancy dictates they used to subsume primogeniture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Queen Liz watches it? She's there silently thinking 'I look ****ing awesome'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I don't watch it and I haven't got time for that stuff either.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Every year you hear about the millions of people that have tuned into the annual Queens speech on Christmas Day. However, apart from my mum I know of no one for whom it is an essential part of their Christmas Day. Do you watch it and if so why do you think it is still relevant in 2014?

I do! Why do you feel the need to ask about something you appear to have zero interest in?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont need to watch it, they tell you in advance everything in it!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Tried watching these things on two occasions when I've been too ill to travel over Christmas and had to spend it on my own. The first time I fell asleep, though that was probably partly to do with the medicine I was taking at the time. The second time my attention wandered off after about 2 minutes and I started browsing the Internet and missed the rest. She's hardly the most interesting or engaging speaker. I also have problems understanding her accent.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never watch it and never have. We don't know anyone who admits to watching it. My Mother, who was born in 1952, told me one day that she didn't know anyone who watched it either. Obviously, according to figures, people do, but according to OH they are maybe not watching it but just have TV on while they are waiting for something else to come on.

Also we know some people who never seem to turn their TV off, so they maybe have it on but are not watching it but in viewing figures this counts as watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We never watch it and never have. We don't know anyone who admits to watching it. My Mother, who was born in 1952, told me one day that she didn't know anyone who watched it either. Obviously, according to figures, people do, but according to OH they are maybe not watching it but just have TV on while they are waiting for something else to come on.

Also we know some people who never seem to turn their TV off, so they maybe have it on but are not watching it but in viewing figures this counts as watching it.

I suspect it's people having a snooze after Christmas lunch. The Queen talking + turkey could send anyone to sleep.

It would be interesting to see what the iPlayer ratings are like compared to other shows ;).
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always watched it as children, and now my own family tune in every year. We finish eating dinner about 2.45 and settle down to see it. Even this year I was in Brussels, but they get BBC 1 over there and we watched it there at 4.00pm instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    We have it on, mainly to marvel at how the old crone still doesn't have a shred of warmth after 60 years on the throne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have it on, mainly to marvel at how the old crone still doesn't have a shred of warmth after 60 years on the throne.

No heated seat on the throne.

We should just make a person monarch through a yearly lottery scheme. I'm sure the winner each year would be much more cheerful.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I watch it and I love it. The young today have no respect for anyone nowadays...
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    As time goes by, her reference to everyone in "the commonwealth" seems to be ever more anachronistic.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen it in about 20 years.

I don't have anything against the Queen, she's never done me any harm but I have absolutely no interest in her or the rest of the royals. What gets me is how the media coos and fawns over her speech as though she's speaking these immense words of wisdom that we must all marvel at. Come on please, she doesn't even write the thing.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Losers.
    davor wrote: »
    I watch it and I love it. The young today have no respect for anyone nowadays...

What do you 'love' about it? She doesn't even bloody write it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I want to watch a rich, detached from society older woman talk nonsense, I just need visit anywhere serving high tea with "ladies of leisure" eating while their husbands pretend to play golf while visiting their mistresses. At least I don't feel vicariously guilty and insulted for contributing to her inflated sense of wealth at the expense of the populace because one of her ancestors was deluded enough to think God picked him personally to rule a nation, like I'm pampering a spoilt, deluded toddler who thinks the country is an all year round Santa Claus for her Greek and German lineage in place of any concrete British heritage of greater significance when a Canadian technically has a more legit seat to the English throne than any of the Windsor/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line aside from aggressive and defamatory ascendancy dictates they used to subsume primogeniture.

Parklife!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »

It was watched by 7.82 million
    The Queen (BBC One and ITV) - 7.82 million
    Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special (BBC One) - 7.61 million viewers
    EastEnders (BBC One) - 7.55 million
    Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special (BBC One) - 6.98 million
    Call The Midwife (BBC One) - 6.83 million
    Miranda (BBC One) - 6.67 million
    Coronation Street (ITV) - 6.41 million
    Doctor Who (BBC One) - 6.34 million
    Emmerdale (ITV) - 5.53 million
    Downton Abbey (ITV) - 5.52 million
    Source: Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (BARB)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Parklife!

Choked on my bacon.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't normally watch it at 3 because we're eating at that time but we normally catch the repeat.