Options

Air Asia flight missing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not much info but being reported on BBC and Sky news that Air Asia flight QZ 8051 is missing. From Indonesia to Singapore. Hope it's just a technical problem.

http://news.sky.com/story/1398597/contact-lost-with-airasia-flight-to-singapore

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again...
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Oh no. The BBC have the story now; sounds more serious than a tech problem, but I really hope I'm wrong. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no. The BBC have the story now; sounds more serious than a tech problem, but I really hope I'm wrong. :(

Lost contact with ATC at Jakarta, asked for an unusual flight route.:confused:

From Sky news it's over 5 hours ago:(
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Here we go again...

Yep. Pretty much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who lives in Surabaya, from where the plane originated. I can't think of any reason she'd be flying to Singapore but you know how your mind works in the initial stages of a tragedy. :(
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    What the... ???

This is getting to be ridiculous now. I just hope they have better tracking systems on board (and working) than MH 370! And that they are found safe, of course...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly gone down in the sea. I expect wreckage to be found in short order this time. The prospect that another airliner in the same part of the world will also go the way of MH370 and disappear into thin air is almost unimaginably unlikely. History will not repeat itself.

I suppose it's time to check out Flightradar24 from around 23.00 GMT then.

EDIT: The aircraft, Air Asia Flight QZ8501, an Airbus A-320 is flying NW towards Singapore taking off from Surabaya, Indonesia at approximately 22.30 GMT.

It vanishes off the radar at 23.23 GMT (7.23am local time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My pal in Surabaya has just PM'd me. Soooo relieved. But also desperately sad to think of the possible outcome of this incident. :(
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who lives in Surabaya, from where the plane originated. I can't think of any reason she'd be flying to Singapore but you know how your mind works in the initial stages of a tragedy. :(

Same. Except mine's is in Singapore and goes to Indonesia maybe twice a year - she's fine though. Message them on facebook. They are 8 hours ahead I think so it's just past midday.

Edit - replied at same time you posted.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty bored of planes going missing now.

A train going missing would be pretty interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Air Asia is based in... Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This plane is from the indonesian subsidiary though.

Inmarsat will be trawling their systems as we write and at least everyone now knows what to do and when....
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    There have been so many instances of this happening recently, it's all a bit strange.

Have I lived under a rock or is this planes disappearing story happening much more than it ever has in the past? It should surely be happening less as technology improves.:confused:
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    There have been so many instances of this happening recently, it's all a bit strange.

Have I lived under a rock or is this planes disappearing story happening much more than it ever has in the past? It should surely be happening less as technology improves.:confused:

This one won't be missing for long. It looks like it has taken an early bath to me.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member

:D:confused: How would that occur exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    This one won't be missing for long. It looks like it has taken an early bath to me.

Maybe... but you are guessing. Very few facts are out there at present, too few to even make an educated guess IMO. A jungle crash or emergency landing on a remote airstrip or beach are also possible, even a hi-jacking etc., though I accept that another detour to the South Indian Ocean is somewhat unlikely.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    One Brit on board according to Reuters, the vast majority are Indonesian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reported by Indonesian military (via BBC News) that the plane may have gone missing over Kalimantan (Borneo) or between there and Belitung Island. The former is huge (and would be off course) and both are covered in dense tropical forest; the Java Sea is between them.

Poor weather conditions are being suggested as the likely reason for the request for an "unusual" flight path and altitude change.
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have flown (as a passenger) in this type of aircraft (Airbus A320-200) It's a very safe aircraft with a very good safety record. The weather conditions on the flight path are being reported as being very bad (thunder storms) and will almost surely have some effect on its disappearance.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Haha. Trains are confined to tracks.

Train crashes. Pretty high chance of most people surviving.

Plane crashes. Game over for most people, unless you are very lucky.

So, what goes up must come down.
    dee123 wrote: »
    :-D:confused: How would that occur exactly?

The train leaves the track, grows it's own legs and goes walkabout around the countryside looking for magic mushrooms, as they need a pink gorilla to act as the train 'supervisor'.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    wjong wrote: »
    I have flown (as a passenger) in this type of aircraft (Airbus A320-200) It's a very safe aircraft with a very good safety record. The weather conditions on the flight path are being reported as being very bad (thunder storms) and will almost surely have some effect on its disappearance.

I have a very simple solution for avoiding being in a plane crash. It is, wait for it, don't fly.

Problem solved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I bet Malaysia Airlines are breathing a sigh of relief.

My money's on aliens...
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    BBC reporting severe thunder and lightning storms in the area at the time
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you lose a loved one, you will realise how immature you are.

Unless you already did and still feel no empathy.

In that case please talk to your GP.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too soon, give your head a shake.

It doesn't bode well, but hoping for a situation which disproves probability.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Here we go again...

What do you mean? Air Asia has not lost a single aircraft until today.