Coronation Street - No Returns For Betty's Funeral!!!

2»

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The likes of Sophie, Rosie, Tina, Tommy, Kylie, Eva, Karl, Sean etc gnashing their teeth and wailing over Betty will be a horrible insult to the character. But knowing La Collinson we will get the likes of all the above inexplicably taking centre stage during Bettys funeral. :D
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,368
    Forum Member
    Surely that's what funerals are for.

People who have known the deceased from years ago, turn up to pay their respects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    Surely that's what funerals are for.

People who have known the deceased from years ago, turn up to pay their respects.

You'd think so. :D I've seen Julie Goodyear on TV say she would happily return for Betty's funeral. I think this would make the whole thing more realistic, and Betty Driver and Julie Goodyear were great friends in real life too. It would make sense to have the character Betty most interacted with during her years on the Street being at her funeral. It doesn't have to be all about Bet, especially, as others have said, she returns in the episode before Betty's funeral, then the funeral isn't all about Bets return/appearance.
  • flossieheedflossieheed Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Bring back Natalie Horrocks (Denise Welch) , she'll brighten up the wake.;)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As long as she stays covered up.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh God no!!! She'd probably pull the pants down on the Vicar while he's giving the eulogy! Before imbibing meths through her eyes and running up and down the church aisle flashing her spaniels at poor young boys, putting them off women for life! :D:eek::o
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the flipside these people never openly stayed in touch with Betty after their departure - where would the line be drawn, the list is endless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should bring back Bet. I'm not bothered about anyone else. I know people are worried about it overshadowing the event, but I think it just would not make sense for her not to be there. They were friends for years. And Bet's return in 2002 was for Betty's retirement party (although she didn't stay retired long if I remember!). So she would go to the retirement party and not the funeral? I think it would bug me too much.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,368
    Forum Member
    I've been to funerals of people I knew years ago but haven't necessarily kept in close touch with.

I think it's just lazy of Corrie's producers. Probably 'too much trouble'.

Well IMHO Betty is worth a bit more effort on their part.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Cindy Beale will give Betty the send off she deserves.

:yawn:
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I always find it silly when soaps don't pull out such stops as brief returns for the funeral of a character - in real life one of the very positive, nicest aspects to a funeral is seeing the service flooded by all the people who have known and respected the deceased over the years coming to pay their respects.

The only circumstances where the 'overshadowing the event' excuse washes with me is where current regulars they are closely linked with are going through a major story which they would pretty much have to become involved with if they came back, hence overshadowing the purpose of them returning to pay their respects.
  • KevraniKevrani Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Betty's sister, Maggie? She was in the show before Betty joined and ran the corner shop for a number of years. The actress is still alive and, according to Wikipedia, was in Doctors in 2010.
  • KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    When you think of the returns for some of the iconic characters in recent years the funeral has never really been overshadowed. The best example was Frank Butchers Funeral - an absolutely fantastic set of episodes which including returns galore, and event hough it was the instigation of most of the characters returning full time, it worked beautifully. Also, the return of Annie Sugden was fantastic in its believability.

I do think returns for Corrie are always tricky as it has created some truely iconic characters and Betty interacted with all of them. The return of Bet would be great, even just a little scene to show that she turned up rather than a big fan fare (like she did last time 'Get that man a coconut!', or even worse the Tracy 'Greatest return in 2000 years' puke) The episodes truely need to be about Betty Turpin/Williams and her contribution to Coronation Street and the lives she has touched in her 42 (?) years on the street!