Options

Athletics 2013

Comments

• Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mandark. I think she was probably clean when she was number 1, but when Shelly Anne Fraser Price came along and "stole" her limelight, she got desperate.

Have to agree that these are the thoughts that ran through my head. However at the moment it could be a number of things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22962986
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mandark. I think she was probably clean when she was number 1, but when Shelly Anne Fraser Price came along and "stole" her limelight, she got desperate.

Would have been much less surprised if she was the one who was caught (...)

VCB is one of the biggest names in womens sprints. It's kinda stupid to start cheating when youre 31 and won 16 medals (or something) being clean...

But no one knows I guess except for VCB herself, and maybe well never know the real answer :(
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Would have been much less surprised if she was the one who was caught (...)

VCB is one of the biggest names in womens sprints. It's kinda stupid to start cheating when youre 31 and won 16 medals (or something) being clean...

But no one knows I guess except for VCB herself, and maybe well never know the real answer :(

I agree it doesn't make sense for someone in their thirties who has had an incredibly successful career to suddenly start cheating.

And whenever you start cheating if you get caught people are inevitably going to question your whole career achievements.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's been shown that Bolt has a rare physiology which explains his superior ability. I think that's why the media leave him alone. He also agrees to be tested constantly. Carl Lewis questioned how someone can go from 10.1 to 9.7 in one season. Answer was easy. He was a rookie sprinter and once he sorted his technique out, the times dropped. It was the same for Donovan Bailey, Linford Christie, Adam Gemili and many others.

There's a huge number of people who'd love to see Bolt go down but I don't see it. I don't even think he really enjoys running that much these days. He always seems a bit fed up when he talks about giving people a show. He does it because he's good at it.

The VCB case is very disappointing and really damaging for women's sprinting which has been struggling for credibility for decades. I doubt she's a career cheat. If it's deliberate then it's probably a reaction to others she thinks are cheating and may be concerns about her age. Tricky.
    Maybe Lewis shouldn't complain too much. I watched a documentary about the 88 final and 80s in general and many were dubious about him.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... came along and "stole" her limelight, she got desperate.

Champions wind down gracefully. Some surely never get caught.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other Jamaican news, Yohan Blake has withdrawn through injury from the 200m at the Jamaican trials. He has a bye to the 100m as defending World champ but you have to question if he'll be in shape for that as he's barely raced this season
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been shown that Bolt has a rare physiology which explains his superior ability. I think that's why the media leave him alone. He also agrees to be tested constantly. Carl Lewis questioned how someone can go from 10.1 to 9.7 in one season. Answer was easy. He was a rookie sprinter and once he sorted his technique out, the times dropped. It was the same for Donovan Bailey, Linford Christie, Adam Gemili and many others.

There's a huge number of people who'd love to see Bolt go down but I don't see it. I don't even think he really enjoys running that much these days. He always seems a bit fed up when he talks about giving people a show. He does it because he's good at it.

The VCB case is very disappointing and really damaging for women's sprinting which has been struggling for credibility for decades. I doubt she's a career cheat. If it's deliberate then it's probably a reaction to others she thinks are cheating and may be concerns about her age. Tricky.

Yes, I've heard all the claims about Bolt being a freakish natural talent (the racehorse 'Frankel' of athletics so to speak). But how anyone can have absolutely no suspicions about him when we can suspect that many of the guys he is beating regularly are probably on drugs is beyond me.

It's no help either that there seems to be a major cloud of suspicion over Jamaican athletes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Maybe Lewis shouldn't complain too much. I watched a documentary about the 88 final and 80s in general and many were dubious about him.

True, and many are still suspicious. Me included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    In other Jamaican news, Yohan Blake has withdrawn through injury from the 200m at the Jamaican trials. He has a bye to the 100m as defending World champ but you have to question if he'll be in shape for that as he's barely raced this season

Hmm....
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Jamaican Nationals this weekend - you can watch it on pay per view if you feel like staying up late. But the big races usually make it onto YouTube pretty quickly.

http://trials.trackandfieldja.com/

And of course the European Team Champsionships. Live on the BBC, but if you want full coverage of track, field etc without the blether, or if you can't get the BBC, there's a stream available, with special dedicated streams for the field events. There are also streams for some of the lower-division competitions as well.

http://eurovision.digotel.com/ea/index.html

Event timetable here - unfortunately all the draws are done by name of the country, so it doesn't look like we'll know the composition of the races until the day itself.

http://www.gateshead2013.com/timetable.html
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Jamaican Nationals this weekend - you can watch it on pay per view if you feel like staying up late. But the big races usually make it onto YouTube pretty quickly.

http://trials.trackandfieldja.com/

And of course the European Team Champsionships. Live on the BBC, but if you want full coverage of track, field etc without the blether, or if you can't get the BBC, there's a stream available, with special dedicated streams for the field events. There are also streams for some of the lower-division competitions as well.

http://eurovision.digotel.com/ea/index.html

Event timetable here - unfortunately all the draws are done by name of the country, so it doesn't look like we'll know the composition of the races until the day itself.

http://www.gateshead2013.com/timetable.html

Cheers grassmarket. Just to let you know that the sterling info provided by yourself, Tiger Rose and Mandark does not go unappreciated.

As for VCB, I find it hard to believe she was a career cheat and I can see why it happened, though of course I don't condone it. Getting to the top is hard but staying there is even harder. Since it is my favourite sport, I will continue to support all athletes unless they test positive or they make highly dubious advances in time and/or distance. Some of the female cheats are ridiculously easy to spot and won't really surprise anyone, but I suspect this world champs will
    find out a few of the popular men. I'll probably get flamed for this but I just have this nagging fear at the back of my head that the biggest shock cheat in athletics will not be Bolt, but Farah. Of course I will continue to cheer for both, until hard evidence proves otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And even more! ESPN America has got the US Trials, 15:00 Saturday.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    This news has got me down. Disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now.

I have just heard about VCB, and am extremely disappointed.

I'll await her views on the whole matter (if they're forthcoming) I have followed VCB's career for many years, and admired her greatly. This is such crappy news.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Bolt won the Jamaican Championships but Tyson Gay ran the fastest 100m so far this year in the American version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamaican men's 100m final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvl23UAggSw

and click on the poster's name for some other finals.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, I've heard all the claims about Bolt being a freakish natural talent (the racehorse 'Frankel' of athletics so to speak). But how anyone can have absolutely no suspicions about him when we can suspect that many of the guys he is beating regularly are probably on drugs is beyond me.

It's no help either that there seems to be a major cloud of suspicion over Jamaican athletes.
    Of course you can never be sure over such things. I thought VCB would be one of the most 'watched' and tested athletes in the world and look what happened. But I think Bolt is like Phelps was in 2008. He's a league above all the others at his best and no matter what they do, they can't match him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Bolt won the Jamaican Championships but Tyson Gay ran the fastest 100m so far this year in the American version.
    9.75 from Gay. I thought he was finished after his injuries and disappointments of last year. But he won't get close to a fit Bolt. Tyson's limit is about 9.70 at best. That's not good enough really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamaican men's 100m final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvl23UAggSw

and click on the poster's name for some other finals.
    Thanks for the link. Bolt looked unconvincing but just did enough. Asafa injured again. Surely he should think about retirement. He's never going to win a championship and he no longer has it in him to knock out very fast times. So what's the point in going on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9.75 from Gay. I thought he was finished after his injuries and disappointments of last year. But he won't get close to a fit Bolt. Tyson's limit is about 9.70 at best. That's not good enough really.

A couple of other bits. Jeremy Warriner didn't make it out of the first heat of the 400m, and Sanya Richards only just scraped into the final of the women's 400m.

Women's 100m 1-2-3, all new names, fresh from the NCAA.

English Gardner 10.85
    Octavious Freeman 10.87
    Alex Anderson 10.91
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A couple of other bits. Jeremy Warriner didn't make it out of the first heat of the 400m, and Sanya Richards only just scraped into the final of the women's 400m.

Women's 100m 1-2-3, all new names, fresh from the NCAA.

English Gardner 10.85
    Octavious Freeman 10.87
    Alex Anderson 10.91
    Yes I saw that the next batch of US female sprinters has arrived. Wariner needs to think about retirement. Sanya looks in trouble. Looks like the US team is in transition.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai Greene never fails to disappoint.
  • Options
    ChuhChuh Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching the European Team Championships today?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Dai Greene never fails to disappoint.

He has gone downhill since the gold medal win in 2009 - injuries maybe haven't helped.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly Bleasdale is so mentally weak, she'll never be a serious contender. Awful start for GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup watching, GB off to a terrible start. 11th in the hammer, Holly Bleasdale no-heights, which is absolutely criminal in this context, and David Greene easily beaten in the 400h.