Urinary tract infection.

Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
Forum Member
✭✭
I think my cat has this.

In and out of the cat litter frequently and using other areas to pee.

I'm going to take her to the vet tommorow. Will she be okay from now until tomorrow morning?

I'm 90 percent sure these symptoms started earlier this evening. I'm really worried however. She's female and 12 years old.

Any advice?

Comments

• Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone?
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A female cat with a UTI will be uncomfortable, but otherwise all right until you get her to the vet. In case of an infection they will put her on antibiotics, and in a few days (be sure to finish the medication!) she will be back to her old self.

Because of her age, they may want to do a comprehensive examination, including bloodwork and xrays to rule out anything more serious. It's mainly precautionary, so don't get over worried if they recommend it.

They may suggest a different sort of food. Something that is easier to digest. Usually it's lower protein, higher fibre then usual cat food.

As for advice, keep her confined to a bathroom or laundry or some place easy to clean. Cats have an unearring sense about vet visits, and are excellent hiders and escape artists when they know a trip is coming.

Give her plenty of clean water and fresh litter. And reassurance.

I hope she feels better soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A female cat with a UTI will be uncomfortable, but otherwise all right until you get her to the vet. In case of an infection they will put her on antibiotics, and in a few days (be sure to finish the medication!) she will be back to her old self.

Because of her age, they may want to do a comprehensive examination, including bloodwork and xrays to rule out anything more serious. It's mainly precautionary, so don't get over worried if they recommend it.

They may suggest a different sort of food. Something that is easier to digest. Usually it's lower protein, higher fibre then usual cat food.

I hope she feels better soon!
    Thank you for your reply. I was freaking out. I look up symptoms and thought she was going to die. It wasn't a very pleasant last hour.

She isn't weeing now. She was going loads earlier, now frequently, every 10 mins or so. No wee comng out I think? Should I be worried about that? And she'll be okay through the night?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby man wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. I was freaking out. I look up symptoms and thought she was going to die. It wasn't a very pleasant last hour.

She isn't weeing now. She was going loads earlier, now frequently, every 10 mins or so. No wee comng out I think? Should I be worried about that? And she'll be okay through the night?

Male cats with UTIs are the ones you hot foot to the E clinic. They can get plugged up with stones and then they need medical intervention to be unblocked again.

Your kitty is prbably feeling the "urge" to pee, even though her bladder is empty. It's a miserable feeling, so don't be oversurprised if she acts down.

I edited my first reply with a few ideas about what to do until you get her to the vet. Hang in there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male cats with UTIs are the ones you hot foot to the E clinic. They can get plugged up with stones and then they need medical intervention to be unblocked again.

Your kitty is prbably feeling the "urge" to pee, even though her bladder is empty. It's a miserable feeling, so don't be oversurprised if she acts down.

I edited my first reply with a few ideas about what to do until you get her to the vet. Hang in there!

Thank you.

When I eventually go to bed later, will it be okay to leave her?

I hope I can try and relax a little. Is it best not to be too worried right now? I'm taking her to the vets, she should be okay going from the advice you've given. Thank you btw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby man wrote: »
    Thank you.

When I eventually go to bed later, will it be okay to leave her?

I hope I can try and relax a little. Is it best not to be too worried right now? I'm taking her to the vets, she should be okay going from the advice you've given. Thank you btw.

You're very welcome. I would confine her for the night. Bathrooms are ideal. Laundry rooms are also good. Fresh litter. Big bowl of water. Fluffy towel or blanket to snuggle. She'll be fine until morning. Don't be over anxious, you can communicate the anxiety. The vet will sort everything out in the morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're very welcome. I would confine her for the night. Bathrooms are ideal. Laundry rooms are also good. Fresh litter. Big bowl of water. Fluffy towel or blanket to snuggle. She'll be fine until morning. Don't be over anxious, you can communicate the anxiety. The vet will sort everything out in the morning.

Ok, will do, thank you for all the advice. I really hope it's all nothing and the vet will sort it out. I'll try and lower my anxiety a little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep us posted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep us posted!

Will do. Just praying she'll be okay right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took her.

They gave her an injection/antibiotics, also something to do with an anti - inflammatory,. I think she has an bacteria infection.

We need to see if she wees, if she doesn't we need to take her back tomorrow. We need t inject antibiotics/syrup into her food from tomorrow.