Options

Had my dog put down this afternoon.

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a large family, all our kids had their pets, horses, ponies, giant rabbits, hamsters, lizards, a goat or two, God knows how many cats and dogs---and then my dog.

He became my dog, 6 month old Border Cross recue dog, I had him for 17 years.

I am writing this and I can already feel the hole at my feet, he was always there.

A few mishaps but never any serious illnesses until a year or so ago, a stroke but he kept going, his spirit,---real spirit.

I could completely trust him with old and young alike, all our kids their mates they grew up with him.

When a young dog I used to play a game with him, drove Mrs S nuts and the children use to squeal with laughter, I would go on one of the stairs and lower my head and whimper, he would be on a landing and he'd go down on front paws, bum up in the air and bark, trying to chew off my proffered head with his small mouth.

Lost the odd dinner to him, sometimes I'd engineer it for the kids to have a laugh at my expense but on the odd occasion, sonofabitch. Must of lost a couple of pairs of shoes to him, I would look at him as I held up the evidence and the cock of his head,----I'm a dog!

Quid-pro-quo tho'-- I found the joys of a laser light, use to send him nuts, cats joined in to.

But he grew up fast and from two years old on, just a cool, well rounded, mature dog.

I'm going to miss you old boy, thank you for 17 great years, going to miss sharing my ginger nuts with you and the hand licks.

Comments

• Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry, Seacam. :cry::cry: Goddamnit, you're right about the hole at your feet - when a much-loved pet goes, however they go, there's like this blank space where they spent most of their time, and you don't really realise it until they're gone. My 'blank space' was (and still is) a cold lap! My old cat insisted on being on my lap all the time, and it's surprising how much you miss it afterwards. One of my younger cats has now chosen my lap as her napping spot, and it's weird - she's too heavy, too big, sort of thing.

Anyway, I was just trying to illustrate that I do know what you mean, but I do know cats and dogs are very different, relationship-wise. You had your dog for a heck of a long time, and he was very obviously loved from the start. Out of all those animals you had around you, this dog was the one who 'connected' you both. :) Smart dog! :D

Wishing you all the best, Seacam. I hope it doesn't hurt too much for too long. x :cry:
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seacam my heart goes out to you. I know I am going to be facing this soon with my 16 year old collie who has health issues.
    This is the price we pay for the love we shared. But who would be without it?
    Maybe he is still there looking over you.
    Take care and hugs.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough times seacam.

Sounds like he had a good life.
  • Options
    kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im so sorry seacam

he had a wonderful life with you and you gave him the best time

remember that

no amount of words will give you comfort right now but it does get easier - believe me - had to put my beloved cat of 16 years to sleep in April of this year and I thought I would never be ok again but I am - I have a lovely 18 month old rescue cat and she is a delight and I love her - she wont ever replace Olive but she has filled part of the small hole in my heart

I know dogs are very different to cats but at the end of the day they both leave us broken hearted when we have to make the very hard decisions to put them to sleep
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing we say will help but we all understand that loss and our hearts go out to you, at least you can console yourself you gave him best life you could, many dogs don't get that so he was lucky to have you as you were lucky to have him.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    So sad seacam, it is heartbreaking when you lose your best buddy.
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seacam. I went through the same thing this week too, I know exactly how you feel.. Its horrible
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP to your beloved boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I would like to thank everyone for their words of kindness.

After he was put down, I took him back with me and that night I washed him, he had this amazing soft coat and his white fur always came up glow white when dried and the old boy didn't disappoint this time either.

I have him at the moment wrapped in his blanket and a cotton sheet in one of the barn freezers.

Most of our kids are at the house this weekend so we are cremating him.

Mrsgrumpy, Station, Relly, I feel for you as I do for everyone who losses a person or animal beloved or going to.

For those who have not had an animal put down, it really is very fast, with my dog, he was about 25KG at death, less then 20 seconds I recon, fastest 20 seconds ever, to fast in an odd kind of thinking but just so peaceful, just drifted.

It's a big raw empty hole at the moment but I reflect on my beautiful children, Mrs S the grand kids----and I am so very fortunate.

But the empty space has been getting to me, time will make it more comfortable.

Thanks everyone. :)
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, bless you seacam, it's a tough time & a deep grief. My dog died when he contracted giardia, he was 10 it was devastating. Worst was coming home to see all his toys still in the garden, I will never forget him. That was 14 years ago & I still miss him. Never got another. Hope you take comfort in giving him a good send-off & take the time to grieve. Sounds like he had a fantastic long & happy life with you & was clearly well-loved.
  • Options
    Shoe LaceShoe Lace Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very sorry for your loss.

After I had to have my dog put down due to illness, I found solace in the thought that there is a rainbow bridge, where my dog is now playing and swimming and eating everything her heart desires (she was a Labrador) and is free of any pain and discomfort.

Dogs truly are the most magical creatures in the world. I know that there are no words that could possibly take your pain away, but he had a lovely life with you and that is all anyone could ask for.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner had his beloved cat put to sleep yesterday. He was 22. Absolutely astonishing age - he had a great life. He had a tumour on his liver and eventually his body gave up on him (last week). He wasn't eating, drinking, moving... So the vet came out to his home at 11.30 yesterday, and he passed away in his favourite chair. Apparently he looked up to my partner (who was sat with him at the time) and passed looking into his eyes. Hopefully he found some comfort.

I insisted that we wait a few more days to see whether he would perk up, as this is what he normally did whenever he got ill in the last year or two. He would be ill for a few days, but then he would start eating/drinking/meowing as usual. But not this time.

My partner and I spent the whole of yesterday afternoon/evening crying. We miss him so much! He looks so peaceful in his little box that we made for him. He's going to be buried in the garden - his garden - that he spent a lot of time sunbathing in. He was a unique little mite with a distinctive meow due to his age. Always cute, but sometimes sounded like he smoked 40 a day as I used to say!

We love you, little boy. Will never forget you.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss, your words made me cry, it shows just how much you meant to each other xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Hogs,

The loss is to soon, a little raw for words to fill.

22 years and now he has gone and yet in time, the both of you, he will keep on giving, that is his legacy to you both.
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of your loss, blimey tis a tough one, glad you are sharing of his passing .

When we. had our Jr pts, the vet came out to us, we put him in outside shed so our cat could smell and understand, which she did, heartbreaking for all x
  • Options
    BobbyDrakeBobbyDrake Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I totally understand what you are feeling...I had my beautiful cat Kohl pts in March - he slept on my chest almost every night for 10 years and always wanted to be near me. I couldn't move an inch without him jumping up and following me. I can't put into words how much I miss him every single day - I still have my memories of him but him leaving has left such a hole in my life. I'm glad to hear that most of your family will be around soon and I hope you find comfort in your memories too. I do still love talking about Kohl so try to do that as much as possible too. Again very sorry for your loss!
  • Options
    Peg ODwyerPeg ODwyer Posts: 43,094
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Secam, I know how you are feeling, we lost Fred our Lab 3 months ago, it is still so very raw, we also had his dad, who we lost 3 years ago, our consolation is that they are now together again, we had them cremated, Louie will go with OH, but Fred will come with me when the time comes.

Yes it is quick, which is great.

This weekend is your chance and the families to say goodbye together.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awwww Seacam, I am so very very sorry for your loss. When I had my Bailey put to sleep almost a year ago now I had an empty heart. My heart literally ached for days. I still cry about him now. On Saturday it will be a year since he left .... and I miss him terribly and I know Saturday will be a tough day for me.

I always hoped that, when the time came I would hold his paw as he slipped away, but this wasn't the case. He had an operation and a tumour was found, so large the only option was the put him to sleep whilst he was under the anaesthetic.

I feel for you Seacam and everyone else on this thread who have had to go through this terrible time. My only advice is to do exactly as you are doing. Talk about him. I talk about Bailey all the time. I laugh about him, I smile at the silly things he did and cry about the fact that I can't touch him .... but the pain does get a little easier.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Still, you were both fortunate to have each other all those years and he'll never really leave you, he'll always be in your heart.